1. India to construct war memorial in France
India will construct a war memorial at Villers Guislain, a town around 200 km from Paris, to honour the valour and sacrifice of the thousands of its soldiers, sailors and airmen who fought for peace in the World War I.
- This was announced by external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj.
- This will be the second such memorial in Europe, she said.
2. Gadkari Inaugurates Swami Vivekananda Cultural Centre at Dushanbe
Shri Nitin Gadkari, the Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation, Road Transport & Highways and Shipping said in Dushanbe, that India is trying to make Chabahar Port in Iran operational by 2019.
- Shri Gadkari was addressing the Indian Community at the inauguration of the Swami Vivekananda Cultural Centre at the Indian Embassy in Dushanbe.
- He said the opening up of the Chabahar Port would make the CIS countries more accessible.
- Shri Nitin Gadkari was on a two day official visit to Tajikistan to represent India at the high level global conference on “International Decade for Action: Water for Sustainable Development”.
3. International Widows Day: 23 June
International Widows Day is a United Nations ratified day of action to address the “poverty and injustice faced by millions of widows and their dependents in many countries”.
- The day takes place annually on 23 June.
- International Widow
4. Saudi Arabia issues first driving licences to women
Saudi Arabia has issued driving licences to women for the first time in decades just before a ban on female drivers is lifted.
- Ten women swapped their foreign licences for Saudi ones in cities across the country.
- A flood of applications is now expected in the run-up to 24 June when the ban will end.
5. UN MSME Day to be celebrated on 27th June 2018
The Ministry of Micro Small & Medium Enterprises (MSME), will organizea National Conclave (Udyam Sangam) on 27th June 2018 on the occasion of UN MSME Day.
- The purpose of the Conclave is to encourage dialogue and partnership among various stakeholders of the MSME ecosystem and for promoting innovation and knowledge sharing on MSME related issues.
6. India Most Dangerous Country For Women: Survey
India is the world’s most dangerous country for women due to the high risk of sexual violence and being forced into slave labour.
- War-torn Afghanistan and Syria ranked second and third in the Thomson Reuters Foundation survey of about 550 experts on women’s issues.
- Respondents also ranked India the most dangerous country for women in terms of human trafficking.
7. UAE to hold first-ever ‘World Tolerance Summit’
The United Arab of Emirates (UAE) will host a two-day “World Tolerance Summit” in November.
- The theme of the summit is”Prospering From Pluralism: Embracing Diversity through Innovation and Collaboration”.
8. India Ranked Fourth as Cyber Attacks on The Rise Globally: Report
India ranked fourth in the list of top 10 target countries for Web Application Attacks as bot-driven abuse and distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks continued to rise from November 2017 till April this year, Cloud delivery network provider Akamai Technologies said.
- Registering over 2.8 crore attacks, India also ranked eighth globally in the list of Web Application Attack source countries.
- Russia, China and Indonesia occupied top three spots.
9. Pakistan placed on FATF’s grey list
Pakistan has been placed on the Grey list of countries that financially aid terrorism, in Paris by the Financial Action Task Force(FATF).
- The placement on to grey list could hurt Pakistan’s economy as well as its international standing.
- The FATF is an inter-governmental body established in 1989 to combat money laundering, terrorist financing and other related threats to the integrity of the international financial system.
10. N Korea named ‘worst human trafficking country’
The US State Department has categorised North Korea as as one of the “worst human trafficking nation” for the 16th straight year, citing the use of forced labour.
- According to the annual ‘2018 Trafficking in Persons Report’, North Korea has been included in the Tier 3 category, which is the lowest ranking, along with China, Russia and Iran.
11. Gujarat gets world’s1st centre for humanitarian forensics
Gujarat is set to come up with the world’s first international centre for humanitarian forensics.
- The International Centre for Humanitarian Forensics (ICHF) will facilitate better management of bodies during emergencies such as disasters.
- It was inaugurated at the Gujarat Forensic Sciences University (GFSU).
- The ICHF is a joint venture of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Regional Delegation for India, Bhutan, Nepal and the Maldives, and GFSU.
12. Prime Minister lays foundation stone of Vanijya Bhawan
Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, laid the foundation stone for Vanijya Bhawan, a new office complex of the Department of Commerce in New Delhi.
- Speaking on this occasion, the Prime Minister emphasized the need for an increase in exports and said that the states must be made active partners in this effort.
- He said that the Department of Commerce must resolve to raise India’s share in total global exports to at least 3.4 percent, from the current 1.6 percent.
- He further stated that efforts must be made to raise domestic manufacturing output in order to reduce imports.
13. Swachh Bharat Rankings 2018: Indore Tops Again
Indore won the cleanest city tag for the second time in a row, while 19 of the 25 dirtiest cities in the country are in West Bengal, a nationwide cleanliness survey by the Union housing and urban affairs ministry has found.
- Indore was followed by Bhopal and Chandigarh.
- Among states, Jharkhand topped the list, followed by Maharashtra and Chhattisgarh.
- Greater Mumbai is the cleanest state capital.
- Vijayawada is the Cleanest city in >10 lakh population category.
- Mysuru is the Cleanest city in 3-10 lakh population category.
- New Delhi Municipal Corporation is the Cleanest city in 1-3 lakh population category.
14. PM inaugurates urban development projects
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, remotely inaugurated urban development projects at various locations across the State of Madhya Pradesh.
- These include houses under Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana, urban drinking water supply schemes, urban solid waste management, urban sanitation, urban transportation and urban landscape projects.
15. PM dedicates Mohanpura Irrigation Project to the Nation
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has dedicated the Mohanpura Project in Madhya Pradesh to the Nation.
- This project will facilitate irrigation of agricultural land in Rajgarh district. It will also provide drinking water to villages in the area.
- The Prime Minister also laid the foundation stone of various drinking water schemes.
16. Photo Exhibition on ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao campaign inaugurated
The Union Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment, Shri Vijay Sampla stressed the need to inspire more girls to take up the field of Photo Journalism as the Photo Journalists play a significant role in depicting the reality in a natural way.
- He was addressing the Photo Journalists after inaugurating a three day Photo Exhibition on ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao campaign, Swachh Bharat Abhiyan and Khelo India Khelo’ in Chandigarh organised by The Photo Journalists Welfare Association.
- He congratulated the organisers of Photo Exhibition for highlighting these issues along with there press photography duties which are too demanding.
17. PM inaugurates Bahadurgarh-Mundka Metro Line via video conference
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, inaugurated the Bahadurgarh-Mundka Metro Line via video conference.
- Congratulating the people of Haryana and Delhi on the commencement of this new section of the Delhi Metro, he said he was happy to see Bahadurgarh connected with the Delhi Metro.
- This is the third place in Haryana, after Gurugram and Faridabad to be connected like this.
18. Piyush Goyal inaugurates India Infrastructure Expo 2018
The Union Minister of Railways,Coal, Finance & Corporate Affairs, Shri Piyush Goyal inagurated the India Infrastructure Expo 2018 in Mumbai.
- Two day expo is being organised by the Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance, in partnership with the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI).
19. PM Narendra Modi launched urban transport service
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated urban public transport bus service ‘Sutra Seva’at function held at Nehru Stadium, Indore on June 23.
- In the first phase of ‘Sutra Seva’, 127 buses will start plying in four municipal corporation cities Bhopal, Indore, Jabalpur and Chhindwara and in two municipal council towns Guna and Bhind.
20. Government to set up regulator for skills training
The government is to set up an independent regulator for skills training in the country, as skill development and entrepreneurship ministry failed in its efforts to improve the quality of skills imparted by various bodies and institutions.
- The skill development and entrepreneurship ministry will act as the administrative ministry for the regulator.
- Skills training in India is governed by different bodies and regulations such as the National Council for Vocational Training (NCVT) and the National Skills Development Authority (NSDA).
21. India and Seychelles agree on naval base at Assumption Island
India and Seychelles has agreed to work together on a project to develop a naval base at the Assumption Island keeping each other’s concerns in mind after talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President Danny Faure.
- India also announced a USD 100-million credit to Seychelles for augmenting its defence capabilities.
- With this credit Seychelles will be able to buy defence equipments from India to build its maritime capacity.
22. Group of Eminent Personalities to study the SEZ Policy holds its first meeting
The group of eminent personalities constituted by the Government of India to study the Special Economic Zones (SEZ) Policy of India held its first meeting on 22nd June under the aegis of Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu.
- Baba Kalyani, Chairman Bharat Forge, who is Chairman of this group, pointed out that biggest challenge today was creation of jobs and the focus of the group would be to address this issue.
- The group will make suggestion for shift from fiscal incentives to employment based incentives, reframe the boundaries and introduce grandfathering clause for existing provisions.
23. Suresh Prabhu chairs India-Australia Joint Ministerial Commission
Minister for Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation of India, Suresh Prabhu co-chaired the 15th Session of the India-Australia Joint Ministerial Commission with the Australian Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment, Steven Ciobo, in Canberra.
- Both Ministers emphasized the need forgrowth in two-way trade and investment.
- They discussed about how mutual strengths could contribute to economic modernization.
24. 51 Lakh Houses Sanctioned under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) in Three Years
Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) conducted its 35th Central Sanctioning and Monitoring Committee (CSMC) meeting of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) – Urban on 25.06.2018 where a total of 3,18,900 houses from 6 States/UTs were approved.
- With this, the PMAY (U) has approved more than 51 Lakhs dwelling units against the estimated demand of 1 crore.
- As the scheme is completing its 3rd year of implementation today, a significant milestone of more than 51 lakh houses approved has been achieved.
- This is a huge jump in comparison to old housing scheme where 12.4 Lakh houses were approved in around 9 years of its implementation.
- Such unprecedented performance is due to innovative architecture of the scheme where flexibility has been given to the States/UTs to approve the projects.
- Further, rather than a rigid approach, beneficiaries are free to choose from 4 verticals of the Mission as per their preference.
- The State of Maharashtra has taken a big stride in achieving its target of providing houses to slum dwellers by getting 2.48 lakh houses approved in 35th CSMC.
25. Report on ‘Women in Prisons’ launched
The Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD) has come up with its report titled ‘Women in Prisons’ which aims to build an understanding of the various entitlements of women in prisons, the various issues faced by them and possible methods for resolution of the same.
The report contains a comprehensive list of 134 recommendations for improving the lives of women under incarceration.
Main Features of the report are:
- The report proposes that bail should be granted to those under-trial women who have spent one-third of their maximum possible sentence in detention, by making necessary changes in Section 436A of the CrPC which provides for release after half of the maximum sentence has been served.
- Considering the needs of women in their post-natal stages, the report recommends a separate accommodation for mothers in post-natal stage to maintain hygiene and protect the infant from contagion, for at least a year after childbirth.
- To make legal aid more effective, the report suggests that legal consultations must be conducted in confidentiality and without censorship
- Re-integration of women in society is a grave problem, due to the stigma attached to incarceration. In the study conducted by MWCD, it was found that in many cases, women were abandoned by their families and were left to fend for themselves after their release.
26. Government proposes to set up 3000 Van Dhan Kendras
The Government proposes to set up 3000 Van Dhan Kendras involving 30,000 SHGs across the country under the Van Dhan Scheme of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- In a new game changing initiative, the Prime Minister launched the Van Dhan Scheme of Ministry of Tribal Affairs and TRIFED on 14th April, 2018 during the celebrations of Ambedkar Jayanti at Bijapur Chattisgarh.
- Emphasizing the important role of value addition in increasing tribal incomes, the Prime Minister stated that Van Dhan, Jandhan and Goverdhan Schemes had the potential to change the tribal-rural economic system.
27. National Seminar on Conservation of Particularly Vulnerable Tribes of Andaman & Nicobar Islands
National Commission for Scheduled Tribes (NCST) is organizing a National Seminar on “Conservation of Particularly Vulnerable Tribes of Andaman and Nicobar Islands: The Way Forward” on 27th and 28th June, 2018 at Kamaladevi Multipurpose Hall, India International Centre, Max Mueller Marg, New Delhi.
- About 44 Ministries/Departments have been invited by the National Commission for Scheduled Tribes to present their strategies and approach towards PVTGs in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- This Seminar is being organized in collaboration with Anthropological Survey of India (AnSI) and Directors of 18 Tribal Research Institutes in different States have also been invited to deliberate on critical issues of tribal groups who are at the verge of extinction.
- Vice Chancellors of six Universities including Indira Gandhi National Tribal University, Amarkantak will provide academic inputs on PVTGs.
28. Sushma Swaraj Introduces Passport Seva App
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj launched a Passport Seva app for seamless application and issue of passports.
- Ms Swaraj said that in total, there are 260 working passport centres, which will be expanded to all Lok Sabha constituencies in the near future.
29. President of India Inaugurates the Udyam Sangam-2018
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the Udyam Sangam-2018, being organised by the Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSME) on June 27, 2018 to celebrate the 2nd United Nations Micro, Small and Medium-sized Enterprises Day.
- On this occasion, he also launched the Solar Charkha and MSME Sampark Portal.
- The President said that the Udyam Sangam-2018 is an important effort in developing effective eco-systems for MSME sector.
30. J P Nadda inaugurates the NIMHANS Digital Academy
Shri J P Nadda, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare inaugurated the NIMHANS Digital Academy and addressed the first batch of professionals enrolled for undergoing courses in the fields of Psychiatry and Psychiatric Social Work.
- Shri Nadda also released the training modules and curricula for various training programmes to be undertaken at the NIMHANS Digital Academy.
31. WCD Ministry to organise TECH-THON
Ministry of Women and Child Development, Government of India will organize a day-long Seminar on Technology Partnerships for Steering POSHAN Abhiyaan called ‘TECH-THON’ for POSHAN Abhiyaan – PM’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nourishment on 28th June, 2018 at PravasiBharatiya Kendra in New Delhi.
- Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog will inaugurate the Seminar and launch the Jan Andolan Guidelines of POSHAN Abhiyaan.
- The Seminar is being organised to showcase and orient the environment towards the initiative, exchange ideas and to explore avenues of cooperation and partnerships for technology support, as well as, reaching-out to the beneficiaries for effective behavioural change to initiate a ‘Peoples Movement’ or Jan Andolan towards Nutrition.
32. 4th National Review & Consultation on Swachh Iconic Places
The 4th National Review and Consultation on Swachh Iconic Places has begun in Hyderabad to review the progress relating to maintenance and cleanliness of Iconic Places.
- Inaugurating the two-day consultation and review, Director General Special projects under the Ministry of Drinking Water Supply, Akshay Rout underlined the need for better coordination between local and state Governments in implementing SIP Strategies.
33. Centre to Replace UGC With HECI
The Centre is set to replace the apex higher education regulator body University Grants Commission (UGC) with Higher Education Commission of India (HECI) by repealing the UGC Act, 1951.
- The proposed Higher Education Commission of India would focus solely on academic matters and monetary grants would be under the purview of the ministry.
- Presently, the University Grants Commission (UGC), which came into existence in 1953, provides financial assistance to eligible colleges.
34. Oxytocin formulations ban to come into effect from 1st July 2018
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has restricted the manufacture of Oxytocin formulations for domestic use to public sector only from 1st July 2018.
- It has also banned the import of Oxytocin and its formulations.
- From 1st July 2018, no private manufacturer will be allowed to manufacture the drug for domestic use.
- Only Karnataka Antibiotics & Pharmaceuticals Ltd (KAPL), a public sector company, would be manufacturing this drug for domestic use from that date.
35. “Statistics Day” will be celebrated on 29th June, 2018
In recognition of the notable contributions made by Late Professor Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis in the fields of statistics, statistical system and economic planning, Government of India in 2007, has designated 29thJune as the “Statistics Day” in the category of Special Days to be celebrated every year at the National level.
- 29th June, 2017 marked the beginning of the 125th year of birth of Prof. P.C. Mahalanobis.
- ISI has held year-round celebrations which will be culminated on 29th June, 2018.
- The objective of celebration of this Day is to create public awareness about the importance of statistics in socio-economic planning and policy formulation, to acknowledge the contribution of Prof. Mahalanobis, and to pay homage to him.
36. Institution of “Home Minister’s Special Operation Medal”
The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh has approved the institution of “Home Minister’s Special Operation Medal”.
- Police Officers of States & Union Territories, Central Police Organisations (CPOs), Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) and Security Organisation involved in Special Operations will be eligible.
- The Union Home Minister has also instituted three more Medals, – the Antarik Suraksha Medal, Asadharan Aashuchan Padak, and Utkrisht & Ati-Utkrisht Seva Medal.
37. Fourth National Consultation to be held in New Delhi
The fourth National Consultation Meeting of Ministers of States & UTs, in-charge of Food, Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs is being held on 29th June 2018 in New Delhi.
- The meeting will be chaired by Shri Ram Vilas Paswan, Union Minister of Consumer Affairs, and Food & Public Distribution.
- The consultation will be on measures needed for further improving various facets of consumer protection and welfare including availability of essential food items at stable prices, Public Distribution System etc., and chart a future course of action.
38. Mumbai airport’s terminal 1 becomes first to offer automated check-in facility
Airlines operating out of the Terminal 1 (T1) of the city airport now provide self-bag drop (SBD) facility to passengers, making it the only terminal with such a fully-automated check-in system.
- Besides, the airport operator has also extended the check-in facility to a host of five-star hotels in the city, enabling the passengers to collect their boarding passes from the hotel itself.
- This is the only terminal in the country to have a fully-automated check-in system.
39. Suresh Prabhu launches Mobile App ‘ReUnite’
Union Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu has launched a mobile application called ReUnite which helps to trackandtrace missing and abandoned children in India.
- Speaking on this occasion the Minister appreciated the work being done by the NGO,Bachpan Bachao Andolan & Capgemini for developing this app.
- The app is multiuser where parents and citizens can upload pictures of children, and provide detailed description like name, birth mark, address, report to the police station, search and identify missing kids.
40. NITI Aayog partners with GNFC Ltd to implement Fertilizer Subsidy Disbursement
NITI Aayog and Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers & Chemicals Limited (GNFC) have signed a Statement of Intent (SOI) to work together towards implementing a Proof-of-Concept (“PoC”) application using Blockchain Technology for fertiliser subsidy management.
- Fertilizer units manufacture approximately 31 Million MT of fertilizers across country, where total approximately Rs. 70,000 Cr. of subsidy is disbursed to the manufacturing units.
41. NITI Aayog releases First Delta Ranking of Aspirational Districts
The NITI Aayog has launched the first Delta ranking (incremental progress) for the Aspirational Districts, based on self-reported data of districts between March 31, 2018 to May 31, 2018, across five developmental areas of Health and Nutrition, Education, Agriculture and Water Resources, Financial Inclusion and Skill Development, and Basic Infrastructure.
- The Districts started entering data from 1st April, 2018 in the Champions of Change Dashboard and 108 districts out of total 112, participated in this ranking.
- Dahod district of Gujarat improved 19.8 points to rank first in the Delta ranking (was Ranked 17 in Baseline ranking).
- West Sikkim district in Sikkim stood second with 18.9 points, a huge improvement from being in the 30th position in Baseline ranking.
42. PM to inaugurate the Third AIIB Annual Meeting 2018
The Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance, Government of India and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) will jointly host the third Annual Meeting of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) on June 25-26, 2018 at Hotel Trident/Oberoi and NCPA, Mumbai, India.
- The theme for this year’s meeting is *“Mobilizing Finance for Infrastructure: Innovation and Collaboration”* that will see leaders from varied organizations and levels of government to share ideas and experiences for creating a sustainable future through sound infrastructure investment.
- This year will also see the launch of the inaugural Asian Infrastructure Forum, which will gather infrastructure practitioners in a practical and project-driven discourse, focused on matching innovative finance to critical infrastructure needs.
43. CEMS Sets Up Labs in Mumbai and Vizag
The Centre of Excellence in Maritime & Shipbuilding (CEMS), a well-funded start-up in skill development for maritime and shipbuilding sector, has announced setting up of 24 labs -6 in Mumbai and 18 in Vizag campus.
- It also shared the list of courses being offered.
- The labs being set up include Product Design & Validation, Advance Manufacturing, Hull Design, Automation, Welding Technology, Robotics, Virtual Reality, Advance Machine & Robotics, Electrical and several others.
- Promoted by Indian Register of Shipping (IRClass) in partnership with Siemens and support from Sagarmala, Ministry of Shipping, CEMS aims to build competency in the field of maritime & shipbuilding sector through skill development in the latest manufacturing technologies for shipbuilding/ repair and ancillary sectors.
44. India is the largest borrower from Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank
With the total project portfolios of US$4.4 Billion, India has been the largest borrower of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) lending since the time the Bank started its operations.
- Unlike most other multilateral development banks set up by advanced economies, AIIB is the first major multilateral development bank where principal contributors are the borrowing members themselves.
- The third Annual Meeting of the bank focuses on infrastructure, with the theme of innovation and collaboration.
45. Saudi ARAMCO and ADNOC sign MoU for participating in the Ratnagiri Refinery project
Saudi Aramco and ADNOC signed an MoU today to jointly develop and build an integrated refinery and petrochemicals complex at Ratnagiri in Maharashtra. The project will be implemented by Ratnagiri Refinery & Petrochemicals Ltd. (RRPCL).
- Earlier, Saudi Aramco had joined the project by signing an MoU with the Indian consortium on 11th April 2018 on the sidelines of the16 International Energy Forum Ministerial.
- RRPCL which is promoted by a consortium of India PSUs consisting of IOCL, BPCL and HPCLwill now have Saudi Aramco & ADNOC as overseas strategic partners.
- The project will be set up as a 50:50 joint partnership (50:50) between the consortium from India and Saudi Aramco and ADNOC. This will be single largest overseas investment in the Indian refining sector.
46. AIIB to invest $100 mn for India’s development projects
The Beijing-based Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has announced an equity investment of $100 million in India`s National Investment & Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) to help various development projects in this country.
- The NIIF is a collaborative investment platform for international and domestic investors keen on investing in commercially viable Indian infrastructure projects.
47. AIIB’s 4th Annual Meeting 2019 in Luxembourg
Moving out of Asia first time, the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)’s Fourth Annual Meeting will be held in Luxembourg in July 2019.
- Luxembourg is a founding member of AIIB as well as a leading international financial centre and facilitator of investments between Europe and Asia.
- The first AIIB Board of Governors meeting was held in Beijing in 2016, followed by Jeju, South Korea in 2017 and the third in Mumbai.
48. NITI Aayog’s WEP Signs SoI with Financial Institutions & Social Organisations
NITI Aayog’s Women Entrepreneurs Platform (WEP) has signed five separate Statement of Intent (SoIs) with Shri Mahila Sewa Sahakari Bank Limited, Indiabulls Housing Finance Limited, SREI Infrastructure Finance Limited, Sreemanta Sankar Mission and the Self Employed Women’s Association (SEWA).
- The WEP was established on the occasion of International Womens’ Day in March 2018 to substantially increase the number of women entrepreneurs who will create and empower a dynamic New India.
49. Cabinet approves capital infusion in Export Credit Guarantee Corporation Ltd
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the capital infusion of Rs.2000 crore for strengthening of Export Credit Guarantee Corporation (ECGC).
- The amount would be infused in the three financial years i.e. Rs.50 crore in 2017-18, Rs.1450 crore in the year 2018-19 and Rs.500 crore for 2019-20.
- The infusion would enhance insurance coverage to MSME exports and strengthen India’s exports to emerging and challenging markets like Africa, CIS and Latin American countries.
Press Information Bureau
50. Cabinet approves a Corpus to National Export Insurance Account Trust
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved contribution of Grant-in-Aid (Corpus) of Rs.1,040 crore to National Export Insurance Account Trust (NEIA).
- The Corpus is to be utilised during three years from 2017-18 to 2019-20. An amount of Rs.440 crore has already been received for the year 2017-18. Rs.300 crore each will be given to NEIA for the years 2018-19 and 2019-20.
- The Corpus would strengthen NEIA to support project exports from the country that are of strategic and national importance.
51. Israel to gift 100 units of digital farming to Gujarat
Israel will gift 100 units of digital farming on an experimental basis in Gujarat. Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani is on a six-day-long visit to Israel with a high-level delegation.
- Vijay Rupani met Netafim CEO Ran Maidan and discussed with him the potential of digital farming in Gujarat.
- Netafim is an Israeli irrigation solutions providing firm.
52. IRDAI allows LIC to invest up to 51% in IDBI Bank
The Insurance Regulatory Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has allowed Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) to invest up to 51 percent in IDBI Bank.
- This is a special case dispensation that has been given to LIC and the 15 percent equity investment cap still remains.
- According to the regulator’s norms on investment, insurance companies cannot hold more than 15 percent stake in any company.
53. SBI’s B Sriram appointed CMD of IDBI Bank
State Bank of India’s Managing Director B Sriram was appointed as the MD and CEO of IDBI Bank for a temporary period of three months.
- He has been appointed in place of incumbent Mahesh Kumar Jain who was recently named Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- Sriram has been working as the MD (Corporate and Global Banking) in SBI since July 2014.
54. Arijit Basu to be State Bank of India’s new Managing Director
The government has appointed Arjit Basu as managing director of the country’s largest lender State Bank of India.
- He will fill the position that fell vacant following the elevation of Rajnish Kumar as the chairman.
- Now, after this the SBI will have four managing directors.
- As per the SBI Act, the bank can have four managing directors.
55. Erdogan wins re-election as Turkish president
Turkey’s long-standing leader Recep Tayyip Erdogan has won a new five-year term after securing outright victory in the first round of a presidential poll.
- Mr Erdogan got nearly 53% with almost all votes counted. His closest rival Muharrem Ince was on 31%.
56. Committee for Standardization and Indigenization in Metro Rail Systems
A committee has been constituted under the chairmanship of Sh. E. Sreedharan for Standardization and Indigenization in Metro Rail.
- The committee is expected to submit its report in 3 months.
- After 3 months, based on specific task of standardization, Dr. Sreedharan could co-opt the relevant expert members for the task for a specified period of time.
57. Sonakshi joins UNESCO to promote safe cyberspace for kids
Sonakshi Sinha joins UNESCO to promote safe and secure online environment for children and help empower our future digital citizens.
- Stressing on the importance of education on the safe use of online spaces, the actress said it will equip boys and girls to be prepared to report any type of abuse or exploitation.
58. ICICI Bank appoints Girish Chandra Chaturvedi as non-exec part-time chairman
Private lender ICICI Bank has appointed Girish Chandra Chaturvedi as an additional (independent) director effective July 1, 2018 for a period of 3 years.
- The bank, in a notification to the exchanges, also said that it has named Chaturvedi as non-executive part-time chairman subject to the approval of shareholders.
- Current chairman MK Sharma will retire on June 30.
59. Gehlot elected IKF chief for next four years
Janardan Singh Gehlot was elected the president of the International Kabaddi Federation for the next four years.
- Among other developments, the England Kabaddi Association, headed by Ashok Das, was disaffiliated because of anti-federation activities.
60. Ministry of WCD receives the ‘Best Performing Social Sector Ministry’ SKOCH Award
Lauding the achievements of the Ministry of Women and Child Development in delivering the promises made and for its significant achievements and initiatives from the last 4 years, SKOCH has conferred the ‘Best performing Social Sector Ministry’ award on the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- Minister for Women and Child Development Smt.Maneka Sanjay Gandhi has received the award on behalf of the Ministry in an event held in New Delhi.
- Outlining the achievements and initiatives of the Ministry, Smt.Maneka Sanjay Gandhi has said that under the leadership of the Prime Minister, flagship schemes like Beti Bachao Beti Padhao has achieved huge success within a very short period of time.
- Under this scheme, efforts were made at National, regional and local level which led to behaviour change which is reflecting in the improved sex ration at birth.
61. Srikanth wins Sports person of the Year award 2018
Indian shuttler Kidambi Srikanth has been adjudged as the Sportsperson of the Year for 2018 by the Sports Illustrated India magazine.
Here is the list of the winners
- Team of the Year: Women’s Cricket Team
- Coach of the Year: Stephen Constantine
- Editor’s Choice for Excellence (Team): Aizawl FC
- Editor’s Choice for Excellence (Male): Jitu Rai
- Young Sportsperson of the Year: Manav Vikas Thakkar
- Community Development in Sport: Sailen Tudu
- Comeback of the Year: Sushil Kumar
- Gamechanger of the Year: Shubhankar Sharma
- Outstanding Contribution to Sport: Leander Paes
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Dhanraj Pillay
- Special Award Living Legend: Balbir Singh Sr.
- Sportsperson Of The Year: Kidambi Srikanth
62. Vasundhara Raje conferred with ‘Chief Minister of the Year’ award
Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje was conferred the ‘Chief Minister of the Year’ award for her remarkable work in e-governance.
- The award was given at the 52nd Skoch Summit held in New Delhi.
- Union Steel Minister Chaudhary Birender Singh was the chief guest at the function.
63. Ramdev to get wax statue at London’s Madame Tussauds
Baba Ramdev will soon have a wax replica at the Madame Tussauds museum of London.
- After Swami Vivekanand, Ramdev will be the second swami to be depicted at the notable wax museum.
- In a press release, the yoga guru shared the news with the world.
64. Kalki Koechlin conferred with French honour
Kalki Koechlin was conferred with the French distinction of Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters, for her contribution in enhancing Indo-French ties in cinema.
- Kalki, who has French roots, has done films such as ‘Dev D’, ‘Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara’, ‘Shanghai’ and ‘Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani’ to name a few.
65. Pallavi Darua crowned as India’s first ‘Tribal Queen’
Pallavi Durua, who belongs to Odisha’s Koraput district, was crowned as the first Tribal Queen at the Adi Rani Kalinga Tribal Queen competition held at Utkal Mandap.
- Panchami Majhi of Titlagarh and Rashmirekha Hansdah of Mayurbhanj were declared as the first and second runners-up of the beauty pageant respectively.
- The prime objective of the event was to promote tribal art and culture.
66. International Indian Film Academy Awards (IIFA) 2018
At the International Indian Film Academy Awards (IIFA) were held in Bangkok.
Here’s the list of winners:
- Best Film:Tumhari Sulu
- Best Actor in a leading role (Female): Sridevi
- Best Actor in a leading role (Male): Irrfan Khan
- Best Actor In Supporting Role (Female): Meher Vij
- Best Actor In Supporting Role (Male): Nawazzuddin Siddiqui
- Best Director: Saket Chaudhary (Hindi Medium)
- Outstanding Achievement by an Actor in Indian Cinema: Anupam Kher
- Best Story: Amit V Masurkar (Newton)
- Best Playback Singer Female: Meghna Mishra
- Best Playback singer Male: Arijit Singh
- Best Style Icon of the Year: Kriti Sanon
67. ‘Sagarmala’ receives Gold Award at the 52nd Skoch Summit 2018
The Ministry of Shipping’s flagship programme for port-led-prosperity ‘Sagarmala’ received the ‘Gold Award’ in infrastructure sector in the recently concluded 52nd Skoch Summit 2018 in New Delhi, recognizing the programmes’s contribution to India’s socio-economic transformation and it’s role in propelling fast-track growth and infrastructure development.
- The Sagarmala Programme also received the ‘Order of Merit’ at the Summit.
- The Secretary (Shipping) Sh. Gopal Krishna shared the award with Minister for Shipping, Road Transport & Highways, Water Resources, River Develooment and Ganga Rejuvenation Shri. Nitin Gadkari.
68. Economist Lawrence Haddad, Dr. David Nabarro awarded World Food Prize
The World Food Prize will be awarded this year to two men who have dedicated their careers to improving the availability of nutritious food for pregnant women and children in an effort to reduce the effects of malnutrition in developing countries.
- Lawrence Haddad, who is a British economist and food policy researcher, and Dr. David Nabarro, who has worked with the World Health Organization and United Nations on health and hunger issues, were named the 2018 prize recipients.
- The World Food Prize was created by Nobel Peace Prize laureate Norman Borlaug in 1986.
69. India’s R Praggnanandhaa Becomes World’s 2nd Youngest Chess Grand Master
In a historic event, Chennai based R Praggnanandhaa has become India’s youngest and the second youngest Grandmaster in the world at 12 years, 10 months and 13 days.
- Sergey Karjakin of Ukraine had become the youngest Grandmaster at 12 years, seven months in 1990.
- Praggnanandhaa became India’s youngest Grandmaster after making it to the final round at the Gredine Open in Italy to clinch his third GM.
70. Former South Korean Prime Minister Kim Jong-pil passes away
Kim Jong-pil, the founder of South Korea’s spy agency whose political skills helped him also serve twice as prime minister, has died. He was 92.
- A retired lieutenant colonel, Kim was a key member of a 1961 coup that put army Maj. Gen. Park Chung-hee in power.
71. Vice President launches the book “Human Rights, Values and Cultural Ethos”
Hon’ble Vice President of India Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu has launched the book “Human Rights, Values and Cultural Ethos” on 26 June.
- It is a collection of essays and lectures written by Dr. R.P. Dhokalia.
- The thrust of the book is on the connection between human rights and the intrinsic and core human values which in turn manifest in the cultural ethos of a society.