1.UNDP to Set Up Skill Development Centre in Hyderabad
ii. ‘Bharosa,’ an initiative of Hyderabad City Police, is a state-of-the-art centre to support women and children who are victims of violence.
ii. The immediate aim of the project is to create an inventory for all major weapons to enable the forces to fight a 30-day war while the long-term objective is to cut dependence on imports.
- General Bipin Rawat is the present Chief of Army Staff.
- Field Marshal KM Cariappa was the First Indian Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army.
ii. As per the memorandum of the committee, the panel will look into the import of uranium for nuclear plants, mining activities and environment, upgrading of India Post offices and the drought situation in the country among other matters.
ii. The HLC approved assistance of Rs 480.87 crore in respect of state of Assam. The HLC also approved assistance from NDRF amounting to Rs 84.60 crore for the state of Himachal Pradesh, Rs 67.40 crore for the state of Sikkim, Rs 2.16 crore for the UT of Lakshadweep and Rs 526.14 crore for the state of Rajasthan. The total assistance approved was Rs 1,161.17 crores.
5. Dharmendra Pradhan, UAE Minister Flag Off 1st Consignment of ADNOC Crude For India
ii. The Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister also had an interactive session with over 250 Indian professionals, business leaders and community representatives working in the UAE. The event was organised by the Embassy of India in Abu Dhabi.
- The UAE Capital- Abu Dhabi, Currency- UAE dirham.
6. Venkaiah Naidu 3-Nation Visit: Complete Highlights
- Guatemala Capital- Guatemala City, Currency- Guatemalan quetzal.
- Peru Capital- Lima, Currency– Sol.
- Panama Capital– Panama City, Currencies- United States Dollar, Panamanian balboa.
7. Army Chief Begins 4-day Visit to Sri Lanka
ii. The visit assumes significance in light of India’s persistent efforts to strengthen the existing bonds of friendship and military cooperation based on mutual interests and understanding.
8. India, Nepal agree to expand their partnership for socio-economic development
ii. In a joint statement issued after Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s two-day visit to Nepal. Mr. Modi and his Nepalese counterpart KP Sharma Oli emphasized the need for the regular convening of bilateral mechanisms to review the overall state of bilateral relations.
- Kathmandu is the capital city of Nepal.
- Bidhya Devi Bhandari is present President of Nepal.
Ranks and Reports
9. Fitch predicts 7.3% growth rate of India in 2018-19
ii. In its second-quarter Sovereign Credit Overview for Asia Pacific region, Fitch stated the growth rate will accelerate as money supply has recovered to its pre-demonetisation level and disruptions related to the rollout of GST have diminished.
ii. India with 69 billion Dollars, China with 64 billion Dollars and the Philippines with 33 billion Dollars are the three largest remittance-receiving countries in the world in 2017. Worldwide, an estimated 40% of the total value of remittances goes to rural areas.
ii. Her sisters Asha Bhosle and Usha Mangeshkar and brother Hridaynath Mangeshkar were also present.
- Mangeshkar was awarded the Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian award in the country, in 2001 – the second vocalist, after MS Subbulakshmi to receive the honour.
ii. The fund, named the ICBC Credit Suisse India Market Fund, will invest in exchange-traded funds listed on more than 20 exchanges in Europe and the US that are based on the Indian market. It is China’s first publicly offered fund for investing in India.
- Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) was established on 1 January 1984.
- Gu Shu is the President of ICBC.
- It Headquarters in Beijing, China.
ii. The latest initiatives include Unified Payments Interface (UPI), BHIM app – using which customers can access UPI and make P2P payments, net banking, digi savings account which can be opened with only Aadhaar number and PAN card and FasTag for making digital payments at toll plazas on national highways.
- Prof Mahendra Kumar Chouhan is the Chairman, Independent Director of FINO Payments Bank.
- Rishi Gupta is the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of FINO Payments Bank.
- FINO Payments Bank Limited headquarters in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
ii. Similar to standing instructions for bank accounts, the ‘My Payments’ feature can be used for high-value payments for a variety of cases.
- Paytm Payments Bank is owned 51 percent by Paytm founder Vijay Shekhar Sharma and 49 percent by One97 Communications Limited.
ii. Bairagi, a Lok Sabha member between 1984 and 1989 and also a former Rajya Sabha MP. He was 87. He wrote several Hindi poems, among which, “Jhar gaye paat, bisar gayi tehni” is considered a gem by many Hindi poets.