1. Walmart Buys Flipkart in World’s Largest e-Commerce Deal
i. US-based retail giant Walmart has confirmed that it will buy 77% stake in India’s largest e-commerce startup Flipkart for $16 billion. Walmart bought the stake in Flipkart for 16 billion dollars.
ii. The acquisition, which is the largest e-commerce deal in the world, will value the homegrown startup at a reported amount of $20.8 billion.
2. Forbes Most Powerful People In The World: PM Modi 9th, Xi Jinping Tops
ii. The only other Indian to feature on the list is Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani at 32. The PM Modi ranks ahead of Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg (who is at 13th spot).
- Forbes- American Business Magazine, Founded in- 1917.
- Headquarters- New York City, USA.
3. NASA, Uber Team Up to Make Flying Cars a Reality
ii. Under the agreement, Uber will share its plans with NASA for implementing the urban aviation rideshare network.
- Urban Air Mobility is a safe and efficient system for air vehicles, piloted or not, to move passengers and cargo within a city.
- Jim Bridenstine has become the 13th administrator of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
- NASA founded on 29th July 1958, Headquarters in- Washington, D.C., USA.
4. September 2019 Climate Summit to be Held in New York: UN Chief
ii. In March 2018, Guterres appointed former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg as his Special Envoy for Climate Action who was tasked to support the United Nations (UN) in its climate strategy and in organising the 2019 summit.
5. The USA Withdraws From Iran Nuclear Deal
ii. The historic nuclear deal was reached in Vienna in July 2015 between Iran and the P5 (the five permanent members of the UN Security Council) along with Germany and the European Union.
- The five permanent members of the UN Security Council are China, France, Russia, United Kingdom, and the United States of America.
ii. In his new role, former Internet.org VP Daniels will report to Facebook’s Chief Product Officer. Daniels has been working with Facebook for more than seven years and previously worked for Microsoft in product management.
7. Nikol Pashinyan Becomes Prime Minister of Armenia
ii. Nikol Pashinyan is the leader of Civil Contract party. He is a former newspaper editor.
- Armenia Capital- Yerevan, Currency– Armenian dram, President- Armen Sarkissian.
ii. Bawankule has been with Google for six years and was previously head of sales for its e-commerce, retail and classifieds and education business.
- Costa Rica Capital- San Jose, Currency- Costa Rican colon.