1. Indu Malhotra, 1st Woman Lawyer Appointed as SC Judge
ii. Malhotra has now become the first woman lawyer to be directly appointed as a Supreme Court judge. In 2007, Mrs Malhotra was only the second woman to be appointed a senior advocate by the apex court, three decades after Leila Seth first made history.
ii. This is the second time that India has taken initiative to exhibit the sacred relics of Lord Buddha in Sri Lanka. The first time such initiative was the exhibition of the Kapilavastu Relics in 2012.
- Srilanka Capital- Colombo (commercial capital), Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte (Official Capital), Currency- Sri Lankan rupee, President- Maithripala Sirisena.
ii. The Van Dhan scheme along with others like Jan Dhan and Gobar-Dhan schemes had the potential to change the tribal-rural economic system. Under Van Dhan, 10 Self Help Groups of 30 Tribal gatherers would be constituted.
4. World Intellectual Property Day: 26 April
- Intellectual property (IP) refers to creations of the mind, such as inventions; literary and artistic works; designs; and symbols, names and images used in commerce.
ii. The IGC meeting provides a regular platform to review the implementation of past trade and transit agreements besides discussing new measures to facilitate bilateral trade and investment.
- Nepal Capital- Kathmandu, Currency- Nepalese rupee, President- Bidhya Devi Bhandari, Prime Minister- Khadga Prasad Oli.
Ranks and Reports
ii. The biggest falls in trust were seen by Snapdeal, who fell by 142 ranks over last year. The top trust gainers this year were Netflix (up 506 ranks over last year). TRA’s Brand Trust Report 2018 report covers 2488 consumer-influencers across 16 cities in India and generated 5 million data points.
- Google CEO- Sundar Pichai, Parent organization- Alphabet Inc., Headquarters- the USA.
- The Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) is a contemporary R&D organization.
- It has been ranked 9th in the world amongst the 1207 government institutions, with an overall global ranking of 75 in the world, covering 5250 institutions.