1. National Panchayati Raj Day: 24 April
ii. Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Mandla in Madhya Pradesh on the National Panchayati Raj Day. He launched the Rashtriya Gramin Swaraj Abhiyan, at a public meeting, and addressed Panchayati Raj representatives across the country, from Mandla.
- Narendra Singh Tomar is the Cabinet Minister of Panchayati Raj.
ii. The central government has increased the number of National Highways keeping in mind the traffic density and various other factors. Mr Gadkari has announced that India will sign a pact with South Korea for enhancing road safety measures.
ii. To further enhance its solar capacity, Diu offers its residents a subsidy of Rs10, 000-50,000 for installing 1-5KW rooftop solar panels.
- Hardeep Singh Puri Minister of State (I/C) of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
ii. Once it is conferred Ramsar site status, Sundarbans Reserve Forest will be largest protected wetland in the country. There are currently 26 sites in India recognised as Ramsar wetland sites of international importance.
5. India and World Bank Signs Agreement to Improve Rural Road Network in MP
ii. The Project will cover 10,510 km stretch of rural roads in Madhya Pradesh that fall under the Chief Minister’s Gram Sadak Yojana (CMGSY) program
- Madhya Pradesh CM- Shivraj Singh Chouhan, Governor- Anandiben Patel.
ii. The new system will enable litigants who file cases in High Court to pay judicial stamp duty to the government through e-stamps, which can be purchased both online and offline.
7. Iran Bans Banks From Using Cryptocurrencies
ii. As per the central bank of Iran, the ban was necessary since all cryptocurrencies have the capacity to be turned into a means for money-laundering and financing terrorism and in general can be turned into a means for transferring criminals’ money.
- Iran Capital- Tehran, Currency- Iranian rial, President- Hassan Rouhani.
- The Central Bank of the Islamic Republic of Iran is the central bank of Iran.
ii. Female Foreign ministers from about 30 countries will be invited to the gathering, which is aimed at deepening global discussion on women’s empowerment.
- Canada Capital- Ottawa, Currency- Canadian dollar, Prime minister- Justin Trudeau.
ii. The conference will bring together participants from more than 85 countries and organisations at the ministerial level, as well as those from over 200 non-governmental organisations. It is the second conference of its kind since 2017.
- Syria Capital- Damascus, Currency- Syrian pound, President- Bashar al-Assad.
ii. It is a preparatory meeting related to upcoming summit of the SCO. The annual summit of the SCO, in which India is the latest entrant along with Pakistan, will take place in the Chinese city of Qingdao in June 2018.
- The SCO, headquartered in Beijing, was founded in 2001.
- China Capital- Beijing, Currency- Renminbi, President- Xi Jinping.
Ranks and Reports
ii. The World Bank said remittance inflows improved in all regions and the top remittance recipients were India with $69 billion, followed by China ($64 billion) and the Philippines ($33 billion).
- President of the World Bank- Jim Yong Kim.
- Headquarters of World Bank: Washington, DC.
ii. This year’s list is topped by ‘The Students’ of Marjory Stoneman Douglas and other schools of US that witnessed gun violence. This year’s list has the #MeToo Movement, which described the pervasiveness of sexual abuse, at No.3 behind Bill and Melinda Gates (2nd Rank).
ii. As per the agreement, BoI will avail NeSL service to expedite corporate insolvency resolution process.
- The NeSL became India’s first information utility (IU) for bankruptcy cases under the ‘Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC) 2016’ in October 2017.
- Bank of India Headquarters- Mumbai, CEO- Dinabandhu Mohapatra.
ii. The bank has introduced several options that include Paytm KYC centres and ‘Paytm-Ka-ATM’ outlets to offer more localised support.
Static/Current Takeaways Important for NABARD Grade-A Exam 2018-
- Paytm Payments Bank is owned 51 percent by Paytm founder Vijay Shekhar Sharma and 49 percent by One97 Communications Limited.
ii. This was conveyed to Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat by the country director of ADB’s India Regiment Mission Kenichi Yokoyama at a meeting in Dehradun.
- President of ADB- Takehiko Nakao, ADB Headquarters- Manila, Philippines, Opened on- 19th December 1966.
|1.||Best actor (male)||Shahid Kapoor|
|2.||Best actor people’s choice award||Ranveer Singh|
|3.||Entertainer of the year||Kartik Aryan|
|4.||Best actress (critics)||Aditi Rao Hydari|
|5.||Lifetime achievement award||Simi Garewal|
|6.||Pride of Indian cinema||Sanjay Dutt|
|7.||Path-breaking producer of the year||Anushka Sharma and Karnesh Sharma|
|8.||Best director||Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari|
|9.||Outstanding performance male||Raj Kumar Rao, Rana Daggubati|
|10.||Outstanding performance female||Tamannahh Bhatia, Kriti Sanon|
|11.||Promising face of the year||Aahana Kumra|
|12.||Best actor (male) Marathi||Vaibhav Tatwawaadi|
|13.||Best actor (female) Marathi||Pooja Sawant|
|14.||Best fashion designer of the year||Sanjukta Dutta|
|15.||Socially conscious performance of the year||Rani Mukherjee|
|16.||Best comic role||Tusshar Kapoor|
|17.||Entertaining performance in reality show Bigg Boss||Hina Khan|
|18.||Best actress drama award||Jennifer Winget|
|19.||Best actor (male) Television||Karan Patel|
|20.||Best reality show judge||Shilpa Shetty|
|21.||Best talk show host||Karan Johar|
|22.||Best lyricist||Manoj Muntashir|
|23.||Best performance in a short film||Divya Khosla Kumar|
|24.||Iconic contribution towards music||Hans Raj Hans|
|25.||Comic performer of the year||Sumona Chakraborty|
|26.||Versatile singer||Rani Hazarika|
|27.||Social and business entrepreneur of the year||Jaya Misra|
17. Egyptian Photographer Mahmoud Abu Zeid Wins UNESCO Press Freedom Prize
- The UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize was established in 1997 by UNESCO in honour of Guillermo Cano Isaza, a Colombian journalist.
- France’s Audrey Azoulay- 11th DG of UNESCO, Headquarters- Paris, France.
ii. Indian men also won the team championship. They defeated Pakistan by 3-2 in the final. Earlier Indian women grabbed all 7 gold medals in the individual category while men bagged 3 gold and 3 bronze medals.
iii. India topped the medal tally winning 10 Gold and 3 Bronze medals in the individual category. Host Nepal remained second and Pakistan got third place.
- Col. Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore is the Minister of State (I/C) of the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.