1. World Health Day: 7 April
The World Health Day is a global health awareness day organized globally on 7th April.
- World Health Day is one of the eight official health campaigns which are marked by the World Health Organization.
- The first World Health Day was observed in 1948 by the WHO.
- The theme of World Health Day 2018 is: Universal health coverage: everyone, everywhere.
2. India visit further strengthened friendly relations between both countries: Nepal PM
Prime Minister of Nepal K. P. Sharma Oli has said that his India visit has further strengthened friendly relations between both the countries. Talking to media persons at Tribhuvan international airport in Kathmandu after returning from 3 day visit to India on Sunday, Oli said that discussion with Indian leaders was cordial and positive.
- The two countries also agreed to develop inland waterways and construct a rail line from Raxaul in India to Kathmandu in Nepal.
3. India and Equatorial Guinea sign four agreements
India and Equatorial Guinea signed four agreements including in the field of health. The agreements were signed following delegation level talks. President Kovind had one on one talks with his Equatorial Guinea counterpart. India will assist Equatorial Guinea in agriculture, mining, health,telecommunications and IT.
- President : Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo
- Capital: Malabo
- Currency: Franc
4. UAE, Malaysia conclude joint military exercise
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Malaysia concluded “Desert Tiger 5” joint military exercise aimed at sharing expertise and enhancing joint military actions.
- The drill was also aimed at raising the level of performance and combat efficiency and working together based on a strategy to improve the overall ability and combat readiness of the ground forces.
5. President Kovind holds delegation-level talks with Swaziland King Mswati III in Mbabane
President Ram Nath Kovind, on a three-nation Africa visit, held delegation-level talks with Swaziland King Mswati III in Mbabane.
- India and Swaziland signed two agreements on health and visa waiver in the presence of President Kovind and King Mswati.
- President Kovind was conferred with Order of the Lion, the highest award of Swaziland.
6. UNSC holds an emergency meeting on suspected use of chemical weapons in Syria
The UN Security Council held an emergency meeting on the suspected use of chemical weapons in Syria, at the request of the United States and 8 other countries.
- The UN special envoy for Syria, Staffan de Mistura, took part in the meeting via a video link from Switzerland. He denounced the alleged use of chemical weapons as a grave violation of international law.
7. Conference on Water, Environment and Climate Change to begin in Nepal
An international conference on ‘Water, Environment and Climate Change: Knowledge Sharing and Partnership’ will start in Kathmandu.
- The three-day event is being organised by the Department of Water Supply and Sewerage, Govt of Nepal in association with the Society of Public Health Engineers Nepal (Sophen) and Nepal Engineers Association.
- The basic objective of the conference is to bring together professionals, academicians, researchers, entrepreneurs, government and non-government institutions to discuss and deliberate on challenges, opportunities and strategies related to water and environmental issues.
- Capital: Kathmandu
- Currency: Nepalese rupee
- Prime minister: Khadga Prasad Oli
- President: Bidhya Devi Bhandari
8. World Homoeopathy Day: 10 April
A two-day scientific convention is being organised in New Delhi by Ministry of AYUSH on the occasion of World Homoeopathy Day, on 10-11th April 2018.
- The Vice President Shri. M. Venkaiah Naidu will be the chief guest at the function while Minister of State (I/C) for AYIJSH Shri Shripad Yesso Naik will preside.
- This day is observed to commemorate the birth anniversary of the founder of Homoeopathy Dr. Christian Friedrich Samuel Hahnemann.
- The theme of this convention is “Innovate: Evolve; Progress: Exploring Science since 40 years”.
9. Nepal President inaugurates International Conference on Human Rights
Inaugurating an International Conference on Human Rights in South Asia in Kathmandu, Nepal President Bidya Devi Bhandari said that understanding of human rights should not be confined to speeches and writings but it should also be part of our daily lives.
- The conference is organized by the National Human Rights Commission of Nepal.
- The theme of conference is “Identifying Challenges, Assessing Progress, Moving Forward: Addressing Impunity and Realizing Human Rights in South Asia”.
10. Cabinet approves Headquarters Agreement between India and the ISA
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its ex-post facto approval for entering into Headquarters (Host country) Agreement between India and the International Solar Alliance (ISA) and authorizing the Ministry of External Affairs for signing the Headquarter Agreement.
- The Agreement was signed on 26th March, 2018.
- The Headquarters Agreement will institutionalize the functional arrangements between India and ISA.
- It will help in smooth transition of ISA as international inter-governmental organization.
- Creation of ISA will lead to accelerated solar technology development and deployment in ISA member countries including India.
11. Economic Freedom Index 2018: India ranks 130
India jumped 13 places to achieve the 130th spot in this year’s Index of Economic Freedom published by the Heritage Foundation, an American think-tank.
- As per the latest edition, India moved up to the 130th spot, up from 143 in 2017.
- India’s economic freedom score was 54.5.
- Hong Kong topped the index followed by Singapore and New Zealand.
12. Bangladesh Ends Reservation in Govt Jobs
Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina said she has decided to scrap the quota system in government services after thousands of students marched across the country in protest.
- Prime Minister Hasina has suggested abolishing the quota system for government jobs altogether.
- The premier, however, said the government could make special arrangements for jobs for the people with disabilities and the backward ethnic minority ones.
13. Pakistan bars former PM Nawaz Sharif from holding office for life
Pakistan’s Supreme Court has disqualified deposed prime minister Nawaz Sharif from holding office for life.
- Sharif, 67, resigned in July after the Supreme Court disqualified him from holding office over an undeclared source of income.
14. Gram Swaraj Abhiyan on Ambedkar Jayanti
The Prime Minister has announced that on the occasion of Ambedkar Jayanti a “Gram Swaraj Abhiyan” would be organised starting from 14th April to 5th May, 2018.
- This Abhiyan is being undertaken for reaching out to poor households, spreading awareness about government welfare schemes and other people centric initiatives.
- As a special initiative during the Gram Swaraj Abhiyan, universal coverage under seven welfare programmes including Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) in 21058 identified villages with large number of underprivileged households across the country has been contemplated.
- Highest importance is given to saturate these villages with the benefits of seven welfare programmes.
15. Gobardhan Yojna’ to be launched from Karnal on Apr 30
Gobardhan Yojna, a central government scheme for managing and converting cattle dung and solid waste into manure and biogas, will be launched nationally from Haryana’s Karnal on April 30.
- Gobar is an acronym for Galvanising Organic Bio Agro Resources.
- Through the scheme, the government aims to ensure cleanliness in villages and generate energy by converting cattle dung and solid agricultural waste into compost and biogas.
- The central and state governments would provide funds in the ratio of 60:40.
16. 4th National Workshop for Training on Autism Started in New Delhi
The three day National Workshop for Training of Master Trainers on AutismTools- INCLEN and ISAA for Diagnosis and Management of Autism Spectrum Disorder in Children has started in VigyanBhawan, New Delhi.
- The Secretary, Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) , Smt. Shakuntala D.Gamlin, inaugurated the workshop in presence of Dr. K. K. Pandey, Chairman, National Trust,ShriMukesh Jain, JS & CEO, National Trust, and various stake holders associated.
- The workshop is organised by the National Trust under Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment in collaboration with AIIMS, New Delhi.
- The objective of this workshop is to make Doctors from across the country aware about Autism Tools to describe the diagnostic criteria as well as to clinically evaluate a child with suspected autism spectrum disorder using Autism Tools.
17. TN govt launches mobile app for farmers
In a bid to use technology for farmers’ benefit, the Tamil Nadu Government has come out with a mobile application that will allow ryots to have access to nine types of services, including details about their crop insurance.
- Chief Minister K Palaniswami has launched the bi-lingual ‘Uzhavan’ (farmer) app.
- The app can be used by farmers to get information on farm subsidies, book farm equipment and related infrastructure and get details on their crop insurance, besides receiving weather forecast for the next four days.
18. Ganga Hariteema Yojana launched in 27 districts of Uttar Pradesh
The Uttar Pradesh Government launched the Ganga Hariteema Yojana, also known as Ganga Greenery scheme in the 27 districts of Uttar Pradesh that are located on the bank of river Ganga.
- Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched the scheme at Allahabad in a function organised on the bank of Sangam, the confluence of rivers of Ganga, Yamuna and mythical Saraswati.
- Under the scheme, plantation will be carried out in one-kilometre areas from the banks of river.
- Common people will also be encouraged for plantation on their private lands under ‘One Person One Tree’ slogan.
19. Assam’s Spring Festival begins in Manas National Park
The two-day Assam Spring Festival began at the Manas National Park where visitors will get to experience the state’s local food, music, handloom and handicrafts.
- The National park which is also a tiger and rhino reserve covers five districts of Assam — Kokrajhar, Baksa, Chirang, Udalguri and Barpeta.
20. 8th Theatre Olympics Concludes in Mumbai
After a glorious run of 51 days across 17 cities of India, the historic event 8th Theatre Olympics drew to a colourful close in Mumbai.
- The 8th Theatre Olympics was inaugurated by Hon’ble Vice President of India, Shri Venkaiah Naidu on 17th February 2018 at the majestic Red Fort in New Delhi. This edition of Theatre Olympics brought together around 25,000 artists under the theme “Flag of Friendship”. The event witnessed 450 shows from more than 30 countries performed across 17 cities
- The 51-day long 8th Theatre Olympics, the biggest international theatre festival held in India for the first time.
21. Over-the-counter sale of 14 steroid creams banned by Health Ministry
To prevent the indiscriminate sale of ointments containing steroids and antibiotics without prescription, the Union Health Ministry has banned over-the-counter sale of 14 such products. The preparations were included under the Schedule H of the Drugs and Cosmetics Rules, 1945.
- The decision was taken following consultation with the Drugs Technical Advisory Board, which had recommended a ban on the sale of such creams without a prescription and also submitted their recommendations to the Central Drugs Standards Control Organisation.
- Some ointments that have been banned are alclometasone, beclomethasone, desonide and fluocinonide.
22. Andhra CM Naidu inaugurates ‘Happy Cities Summit 2018’ in Amaravati
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu and Founder of Isha Foundation Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev has inaugurated a three-day long ‘Happy Cities Summit 2018’ in Amaravati.
- Around 1,000 delegates from India and abroad will take part in the Summit.
- This is first of its kind program in India.
23. Govt. bans imports of hormone oxytocin
The Union government has banned imports of oxytocin to stop its misuse in the livestock industry, where activists say it causes hormonal imbalances and shortens the lives of milch animals.
- Often called the ‘love hormone’, oxytocin is released naturally in human bonding activities such as, childbirth and breastfeeding.
- The government has decided to rely on domestic production to satisfy requirements of the hormone.
24. Transgenders to be recognised as independent gender category in PAN
The government has amended Income Tax rules that will now allow transgenders to be recognised as an independent category of applicants for obtaining a Permanent Account Number (PAN) for their tax-related transactions.
- The move is to help transgenders obtain their PAN card and help them link it with their Aadhaar cards.
- Till now, only male and female gender categories were available to be chosen on the PAN application form.
25. VP inaugurates “Scientific Convention on World Homoeopathy Day”
The Vice President of India Shri. M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the two-day “Scientific Convention on World Homeopathy Day” organized by the Ministry of AYUSH.
- The convention was attended by more than 1500 delegates, which included homoeopathic researchers, scientists from allied sciences, practitioners, students, industrialists as well as representatives of various homoeopathic associations.
26. First Meeting of the ‘NITI Forum for North East’ held in Agartala
The first meeting of the newly constituted ‘NITI Forum for North East’ was held in Agartala, Tripura.
- The meeting was organized by the NITI Aayog, Ministry of DoNER and the North Eastern Council (NEC).
- In his inaugural address, Shri Rajiv Kumar said the focus of development projects in the NER will be based on the concept of “HIRA” (Highways, Inland Waterways, Railways and Airways) as spelled out by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
- He said emphasis will also be made on Education, Health and Skill Development in the region.
- He further said that Horticulture, Tourism, Food Processing, use of Bamboo and Made in North-East will be developed through five Mission Mode projects in a time-bound manner.
27. World’s largest solar park to come up in Gujarat
Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has approved setting up a 5,000 MW capacity solar park at the Dholera Special Investment Region (SIR), which would be the largest such entity in the world after its completion.
- The proposed solar power generation project would be set up in 11,000 hectares of land with an investment of Rs 25,000 crore.
- The project will contribute significantly in achieving Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s target of producing 175 gigawatt of electricity through renewable energy sources by 2022.
28. FSSAI launches initiative to address Vitamin D deficiency
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has launched ‘Project Dhoop’, an initiative aimed at shifting the school assembly time to noon to ensure maximum absorption of Vitamin D in students through natural sunlight.
- The project was launched at National Bal Bhavan here, and saw participation of around 600 students from NCERT, NDMC and North MCD Schools.
- The initiative has been conceptualised by McCannHealth and supported by Kwality (Ltd).
29. Delhi’s IGI in world’s top 20 busiest airports
Robust air traffic growth at the capital’s Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport has propelled it into the list of top 20 airports in terms of passenger traffic in 2017.
- According to the Airports Council International (ACI), Kolkata, Hyderabad, Bangalore and Chennai were among the fastest growing airports in the world last year.
30. ISRO puts navigation satellite INRSS-1I into orbit
The Indian Space Research Organisation’s navigation satellite INRSS-1I was launched by PSLV-C41 and successfully placed in the designated orbit.
- PSLV-C41/IRNSS-1I Mission blasted off at 4.04 am from the first launchpad at the Sathish Dhawan Space Centre.
31. Prime Minister to inaugurate DefExpo 2018 in Chennai on April 12
The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will visit Tamilnadu on April 12. He will inaugurate the 10th edition of Defence Expo, DefExpo-2018 in Chennai at Tiruvidanthal, in Kancheepuram district.
- The tag line of DefExpo this year is “‘India: The Emerging Defence Manufacturing Hub” to showcase India’s capability in export of defence systems and components.
- More than 670 exhibitors including over 150 international exhibitors will take part in the DefExpo.
- MSME sector will have a fair representation this time around 15%.
- Indian participation include majors like Tata, L&T, Kalyani, Bharat Forge, Mahindra, MKU, DRDO, HAL, BEL, BDL, BEML, MDL, GRSE, GSL, HSL, MIDHANI, Ordnance Factories, and many others.
32. Jitendra Singh launches online dashboard to monitor public grievances on real time basis
The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr. Jitendra Singh launched an online dashboard developed by Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG).
- The dashboard will monitor public grievances on real time basis and periodically review progress of systemic reforms.
- The systemic reforms and their monitoring metrics, catering to grievance issues are highlighted on the dashboard.
- This will enable concerned Ministries/Departments to monitor implementation of these reforms.
- Speaking on the occasion, Dr Jitendra Singh said that the DARPG is the nodal department for the dashboard that was launched today, but it will also be helpful to the concerned.
33. PM to inaugurate Dr. Ambedkar National Memorial at Alipur Road in Delhi
On the eve of the birth anniversary of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the Dr. Ambedkar National Memorial at 26, Alipur Road in Delhi on April 13th.
- This is the place where Dr. Ambedkar attained Mahaparinirvana on 6th December 1956.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had laid the foundation stone of the memorial on March 21, 2016.
34. PM Modi inaugurates 16th International Energy Forum Ministerial Meeting
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated 16th International Energy Forum Ministerial Meeting in New Delhi.
- It is the largest gathering of Ministers from energy consuming, producing and transit countries.
- Hosted by India and co-hosted by China and Korea, the meeting aims to focus on how global shifts, transition policies and new technologies influence market stability and future investment in the energy sector.
35. Eighth Regional 3R Forum concludes
The eighth 3R regional forum in Asia and pacific being held in Indore from the 9th April 2018 concluded with the adoption of chair summary by the participating nations reaffirming their commitment to promoting the principles of 3R – Reduce, Reuse & Recycle.
- Addressing the valedictory session Smt Maya Singh, Minister of Urban development , Govt of Madhya Pradesh appreciated the outcomes and achievements of the 3R forum and expressed confidence in Forum’s capacity in propagation of 3R principles.
- The 3R forum legacy was handed over to the delegation of the Govt. of Thailand – the host of the next 3R forum to be held in Bangkok, which extended invitation to all the participant nations.
36. Third India-Russia Military Industrial Conference
The third India-Russia Military Industrial Conference was held on the side-lines of DefExpo 2018 at Thiruvidanthai, Kancheepuram district on the East Coast Road near Chennai.
- Around 75 Indian defence sector manufacturing companies and 28 Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) from Russian industry participated in the conference.
- Russia Military Industrial Conferences were held in past, first one in March 2017 in New Delhi and second one in August 2017 in Moscow.
37. Union Home Minister launches e-FRRO scheme
The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh launched the web-based application ‘e-FRRO’ (e-Foreigners Regional Registration Office).
- He said the e-FRRO scheme is aimed at building a centralized, transparent online platform for the foreigners to avail visa related services and to provide Faceless, Cashless and Paperless services to the foreigners with user friendly experience.
38. Delhi Launches ‘Mission Buniyaad’ To Improve Students’ Learning Skills
The Delhi government has launched the “Mission Buniyaad” scheme to improve learning levels of children from classes 3 to 9.
- Primary education falls within the ambit of the Municipal Corporations of Delhi (MCDs) while the Delhi government is supposed to offer education from classes 6 to 12.
- Under the programme which will run from April to June for class 3 to 5 in MCD schools and class 6 to 9 in government schools, children will undergo a reading level assessment based on which they will be enrolled in specialised classes.
39. PM inaugurates Health and Wellness Centre to mark the launch of Ayushman Bharat
On the occasion of Ambedkar Jayanti, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated a Health and Wellness Centre, to mark the launch of the Union Government’s ambitious Health Assurance Programme – Ayushman Bharat.
- The Centre was inaugurated at Jangla Development Hub, in the aspirational district of Bijapur in Chhattisgarh.
- He inaugurated a bank branch at Jangla and distributed loan sanction letters under the Mudra Scheme to select beneficiaries. He also interacted with Rural BPO employees.
40. RK Singh inaugurates Solar Lamp Assembly & Distribution Center
Shri R K Singh, Minister of State (IC) for Power and New & Renewable Energy, Government of India, on the occasion of 127th Birth Anniversary of Bharat Ratna Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar launched a number of initiatives for the welfare of the underprivileged.
- Of the several initiatives launched, Shri Singh inaugurated Assembly & Distribution Centre for Solar Study Lamps at Mahuli village in Arrah.
- In this centre, local women Self Help Group (SHG) will assemble Solar Study Lamps and distribute them to underprivileged students who do not have access to electricity.
41. India Mobile Congress 2018 to be held in New Delhi
India is going to host its second India Mobile Congress (IMC) between 25-27 October at the national capital.
- It will be hosted by the Department of telecommunications and the Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI).
- The first edition of IMC held in September 2017, was attended by around 2,000 delegates, 32,000 visitors, 152 speakers, 100 exhibitors and 100 start-ups.
42. RBI to set up Data Sciences Lab
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in its release said that it has decided to set up Data Sciences Lab to improve its forecasting, surveillance and early warning detection abilities which will aid policy formulation.
- The lab will constitute of experts and budding analysts, internal as well as lateral, who are trained inter alia in Computer Science, Data Analytics, Statistics, Economics, Econometrics and/or Finance.
43. ICICI Bank: Govt changes its nominee on the Bank Board
The Centre has replaced its nominee on ICICI Bank’s Board with effect from April 5.
- Lok Ranjan, a joint secretary at Department of Financial Services in the Finance Ministry, has replaced Government nominee Amit Agrawal.
- This move comes at a time when this private sector lender is facing a controversy over alleged irregularities in grant of Rs 3,250 crore loan to Videocon group.
44. Federal Bank ties up with Fortune Wealth to offer PIS services
Federal Bank Ltd has entered into a partnership with Fortune Wealth Management Company Ltd for providing Portfolio Investment Scheme (PIS) services to NRIs.
- This will enable non-resident Indian clients to invest in Indian equity markets on repatriable and non-repatriable basis.
- The partnership will also facilitate NRI investment in India’s vibrant equity markets through PIS.
45. Country’s foreign exchange reserves hit a life-time high of $ 424.361 bn
- The country’s foreign exchange reserves hit a life-time high of 424.361 billion US dollar after rising by 1.828 billion dollar in the week to March 30, the Reserve Bank said in Mumbai.
46. RBI switches back to GDP scale to measure economy
The Reserve Bank switched back to the gross domestic product (GDP)-based measure to offer its growth estimates from the gross value added (GVA) methodology, citing global best practices. The government had started analysing growth estimates using GVA methodology from January 2015 and had also changed the base year to 2018 from January.
- Deputy Governor Viral Acharya said that the switch to GDP is mainly to conform to international standards.
47. 11 public sector banks placed under RBI’s PCA Framework
At present, 11 weak PSBs out of the 21 State-owned banks are under the PCA, which kicks in when banks breach regulatory norms on issues such as minimum capital, amount of non-performing assets and return on assets.
- The 11 banks already under the NPA framework are IDBI Bank, Bank of India, UCO Bank, Central Bank of India, Indian Overseas Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce, Dena Bank, Bank of Maharashtra, United Bank of India, Corporation Bank and Allahabad Bank.
48. India Signs MOU With World EXPO 2020 Dubai
India and World Expo 2020 signed participants contract for India’s pavilion in the prestigious World Expo 2020 held once in 5 years.
- The contract provides for the setting up of India pavilion at Expo 2020 on an extra large plot (about one acre) in the ‘Opportunity’ segment. This is tune with the great opportunity for economic activity that India provides today on the way to becoming a $5 trillion economy by 2025.
- Focus will be given to India’s advances in Space, Pharma, IT, Renewable Energy, Telecom sectors.
49. Yes Bank forms tie-up with Euronet India
Payment and transaction processing solutions provider, Euronet India, said it has partnered with Yes Bank to modernise the bank’s core payment infrastructure.
- Euronet will support the bank in switching transactions between end points, driving payment channels and card management services, among others.
50. Indian Consortium and Saudi Aramco Sign MoU for Ratnagiri Mega Refinery
An Indian Consortium consisting of IOCL, BPCL and HPCL and Saudi Aramco signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to jointly develop and build an integrated refinery and petrochemicals complex, Ratnagiri Refinery & Petrochemicals Ltd. (RRPCL) in the State of Maharashtra.
- Saudi Aramco may also seek to include a strategic partner to co-invest in the project.
- The strategic partnership brings together crude supply, resources, technologies, experience and expertise of these multiple oil companies with an established commercial presence around the world.
- The refinery will be capable of processing 1.2 million barrels of crude oil per day (60 million metric tonnes per annum, or MMTPA).
51. AIIB decides to invest $140M to improve Rural Connectivity in India
Approximately 1.5 Million rural residents in State of Madhya Pradesh are going to directly benefit from improved livelihoods, education and mobility with the USD $ 140-Million loan approved by the Board of Directors of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) in a Meeting held recently in Beijing.
- The Project, co-financed with the World Bank, aims to improve the rural road connectivity and management for residents of about 5,640 villages who use the rural roads for daily activities.
52. NHAI signs agreement for its First International Project
To provide seamless vehicular movement for enhancing trade, business, health, education and tourism between Indian, Myanmar and Thailand, the National Highways Authority of India has signed an agreement for upgradation of Yagyi – Kalewa section of highway (Milepost 40/0 to Milepost 115/5) in Myanmar to two lane with earthen shoulder.
- The agreement was signed by NHAI with M/s Punj Lloyd Ltd. – Varaha Infra Ltd. (JV).
- The project has been funded by Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India and would be executed on EPC mode at a cost of Rs.1177 crores.
53. AAI to develop Myanmar’s Kalay Airport
The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has signed an agreement with the Ministry of External Affairs, for preparation of a Detailed Project Report (DPR) on the first phase for development of the Kalay Airport as a green airport in Myanmar.
- AAI had developed more than 60 airports in metro and non-metro cities in India and now AAI wants to leverage its expertise to other countries on bigger scale.
54. RBI slaps Rs.3 Cr monetary penalty on IDBI bank
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) imposed monetary penalty worth Rs. 3 crore on IDBI Bank for not complying with the outlined norms related to reporting of bad loans.
- The penalty was imposed on account of non-compliance with the directions issued on Income Recognition and Asset Classification (IRAC) norms.
55. MoU Between Indian Army and Axis Bank
A Memorandum of Undersanding (MoU) was signed between the Indian Army and Axis Bank on the Defence Salary Package on 13 Apr 2018.
- The first MoU between Axis Bank and the Indian Army was signed in 2011 and was renewed on 24 Mar 2015.
- The current MoU is tailor-made to suit the requirements of serving soldiers, pensioners and families.
- Recently, Indian Army has also signed a MoU with HDFC bank.
56. UN body names Messi responsible tourism ambassador
The UN World Tourism Organization said it has appointed FC Barcelona’s Argentine star Lionel Messi as an ambassador to promote responsible tourism.
- The UN body defines “responsible tourism” as tourism that “helps maximise the sector’s benefits while minimising its potentially negative impact on the environment, cultural heritage and societies across the globe”
- World Tourism Organization chief: Zurab Pololikashvili
57. Wipro’s Rishad Premji appointed Nasscom chairman
Rishad Premji, Board member of Wipro Ltd. has been appointed as the Chairman of the National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) for 2018-19.
- Premji has been a member of NASSCOM’s Executive Council and was the Vice Chairman for the previous year.
- He succeeds Raman Roy, who served as Chairman of NASSCOM for the year 2017-18.
58. HRD Ministry is setting up a committee to reduce the fear of math
Human Resource Development Ministry has constituted the committee under the Chairmanship of Gujarat Education Minister Shri Bhupendra sinh Chudasama to suggest the ways to make the maths subject easy.
- This was announced by the Human Resource Development Minister Shri Prakash Javadekar after the Annual Meeting of National Council of Educational Research and Training- NCERT at New Delhi.
- While briefing the media persons, Shri Javadekar said that this decision was taken on the basis of National Assessment Survey to eliminate the fear of maths among the students.
- He further said that eminent educationists and senior officials will be the part of this committee.
59. Bhanu Pratap Sharma appointed chairman of Bank Board Bureau
The government has appointed former DoPT Secretary Bhanu Pratap Sharma as Chairman of the Banks Board Bureau (BBB).
- He replaces Vinod Rai, who was appointed as the first chairman of BBB for a two year term.
- Sharma has been appointed for two years.
60. Jayant Sinha to head Task Force for UAV technology
The Government has decided to constitute a Task Force under the chairmanship of Shri Jayant Sinha, Minister of State for Civil Aviation for fast-tracking the roll-out of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) technology.
- The Task Force will develop a roadmap with implementable recommendations for Central as well as State Governments, Industry and Research Institutions.
- The Task Force will consist of representatives from the Government, PSUs, industry and sectoral experts and submit report within 6 months of its constitution.
- The Headquarters of the Task Force will be at Ministry of Civil Aviation, New Delhi.
61. Rajesh Ranjan takes charge as CISF chief
Rajesh Ranjan, a 1984 batch Bihar cadre IPS officer, took charge as director general of Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), which secures airports, Delhi Metro, sensitive government buildings.
- With 34 years of experience, Ranjan has held key posts including in CBI, as assistant director in the Financial and High Tech Crime Sub Directorate at the Interpol General Secretariat.
62. Anand Kirti from Colombo will get Ambedkar Award
Prof. Bhante Anand Kirti from Colombo, Sri Lanka will get Dr. Baba Saheb Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar International Award.
- Indian Dalit Literature has announced the news on the eve of Ambedkar’s 127th birth anniversary.
- University of Calania Prof. Kirti will receive the award on 9-10 December.
63. 65th National Film Awards for 2017 announced
The 65th National Film Awards 2017 were announced by the Chairpersons of the juries on Feature Films, Best Writing on Cinema and members of Dadasaheb Phalke Award and Non-Feature films.
- Veteran Hindi film actor Shri Vinod Khanna was awarded the Dadasaheb Phalke Award for his contribution to Indian Cinema.
- Some of the other prominent winners in various categories for this year National Film Awards included Assamese movie ‘Village Rockstars’ in Best Feature Film category and ‘Baahubali – The Conclusion’ in the Best Popular Film providing Wholesome Entertainment category.
- Indira Gandhi Award For Best Debut Film Of A Director was given to the Jasari language movie ‘Sinjar’ directed by Pampally.
- Marathi Movie ‘Dhappa’ was awarded the Nargis Dutt Award For Best Feature Film On National Integration.
- Jayaraj was awarded the Best Direction in the Feature Film category for the movie ‘Bhayanakam’ and Nagraj Manjule won the award for the Best Direction in the Non Feature Film Category.
- Riddhi Sen and Sridevi got the award for the Best Actor (movie- Nagarkirtan) and Best Actress award (movie- Mom) respectively .
- Malayalam Movie ‘Aaalorukkam’, directed by V.C.Abhilash was awarded the Best Film on Social Issues.
- ‘Water Baby’ directed by Pia Shah, won the Best Debut Film of a Director in the Non Feature Film category.
- Movies in the languages other than those specified in the VIII Schedule of the constitution in the feature Film categories were also awarded.
- The award for the Best Jasari Film was given to ‘Sinjar’, Best Tulu Film to ‘Paddayi’ and the Best Ladakhi Film to ‘Walking With The Wind’.
- Best Film Critic award was given to Giridhar Jha for his writings covering vast horizon of Hindi cinema with authenticity and originality.
- Special Mention Award was given to the Sunil Mishra for his articles on cinema.
- Best Book on Cinema award was given to ‘Matmagi Manipur-The first Manipuri Feature Film’ authored by Bobby Wahengbam.
- Special Jury Award in the Feature category was given to the movie ‘Nagarkirtan’ directed by Kaushik Ganguly and produced by Sani Ghose Ray.
- Special Jury Award in the Non-Feature category was given to ‘A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings And Monday’, directed by Prateek Vats and produced by Films Division.
- The best Children’s film was given to the Marathi Movie Mhorkya, directed by Amar Bharat Deokar.
- A.R Rahman was awarded the Best Music Direction award for the movie ‘Kaatru Veliyidai’.
64. Leander Paes becomes most successful player in Davis Cup
India’s Leander Paes created a new world record by becoming the most successful doubles player in Davis Cup history, winning his 43rd such match.
- Paes and Bopanna beat China’s Mao-Xin Gong & Di Wu to create history
- Paes was tied on 42 wins with Italian great Nicola Pietrangeli for a long time.
65. CWG 2018: Deepak Lather becomes India’s youngest weightlifting medallist
Deepak Lather became India’s youngest weightlifter to win a Commonwealth Games medal after he won the bronze medal in men’s 69kg weight category at CWG 2018 in Gold Coast.
- Hailing from Haryana, the 18-year-old lifted a total of 295kg (136kg+159kg) to finish third.
- Deepak had won the bronze medal in the Commonwealth Championships in Gold Coast last year.
66. CWG 2018: India’s women’s TT team clinches maiden Gold
- Singles star Manika Batra won two matches as India’s women’s table tennis team upset favourites Singapore to clinch its maiden Gold medal at the 21st Commonwealth Games at Gold Coast on Sunday.
67. Kidambi Srikanth World No 1, first Indian to reach top spot in men’s badminton
Kidambi Srikanth has scaled the peak of the men’s BWF men’s singles rankings for the first time.
- The 25-year-old shuttler’s prolific form in 2017, during which he won a record four Super Series titles, has helped him reach 76895 rating points, the best ever by an Indian male badminton player.
- He replaced Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen to achieve the numero-uno spot in the latest BWF World Rankings.
68. CWG2018: Anish Bhanwala becomes India’s youngest gold medallist
Karnal’s 15 years old Anish Bhanwala created history by becoming the youngest ever gold medallist at the Commonwealth Games (CWG) for India.
- The 15-year-old bagged the top prize in the men’s 25m Rapid Fire Pistol event in Gold Coast, Australia.
69. Noted artist Ram Kumar passes away
Senior artist Ram Kumar has passed away. He was 94.
- A modernist, he was associated with the Progressive Artists’ Group comprising M.F.Husain, F.N.Souza, H.A.Gade, S.H.Raza and others.
- He was known for his abstract landscapes.
70. VP Releases Books ‘Sarvapriya Atalji’, ‘Jannayak Atalji’ and ‘Atal Jeevan Gatha’
The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu has said that democracy is the ideal system of governance and Shri Atal ji has succeeded in preserving it.
- He was addressing the gathering after releasing the Books on former Prime Minister, Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee, ‘Sarvapriya Atalji’, ‘Jannayak Atalji’ and ‘Atal Jeevan Gatha’.
- The Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs and Statistics & Programme Implementation, Shri Vijay Goel and other dignitaries were present on the occasion.
71. President Receives first copy of book ‘Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar: Vyakti Nahin Sankalp’
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, received the first copy of the book ‘Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar: Vyakti Nahin Sankalp’ from the Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu, who formally released it at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhavan to mark Dr B.R. Ambedkar’s birth anniversary.
- Speaker, Lok Sabha, Smt Sumitra Mahajan, Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment, Shri Thaawar Chand Gehlot, and the editor of the book, Shri Kishor Makwana, were also present.