1. Permanent Indus Commission meet begins in Delhi
The Indian delegation for the annual meeting comprises India’s Indus Water Commissioner P K Saxena, a representative of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) and technical experts, sources said.
- Pakistan’s six-member delegation for the commission’s 114th meeting is being led by Syed Muhammad Mehar Ali Shah.
- The IWT covers the water distribution and sharing rights of six rivers — Beas, Ravi, Sutlej, Indus, Chenab and Jhelum.
- The treaty specifies that waters from the three western rivers — Indus, Jhelum and Chenab — are reserved for Pakistan, while waters from eastern rivers — Ravi, Sutlej and Beas — are for reserved for India.
2. NASA to send first mission to study ‘heart’ of Mars
Scheduled to launch on May 5, InSight – a stationary lander – will also be the first NASA mission since the Apollo moon landings to place a seismometer, a device that measures quakes, on the soil of another planet.
- “In some ways, InSight is like a scientific time machine that will bring back information about the earliest stages of Mars’ formation 4.5 billion years ago,” said Bruce Banerdt, principal investigator for InSight.
- InSight or the Interior Exploration using Seismic Investigations, Geodesy and Heat Transport mission, carries a suite of sensitive instruments to gather data. Unlike a rover mission, these instruments require a stationary lander from which they can carefully be placed on and below the martian surface, NASA said.
3. World Autism Awareness Day: 2 April
- The 2018 World Autism Awareness Day observance at United Nations Headquarters New York will focus on the importance of empowering women and girls with autism and involving them and their representative organizations in policy and decision making to address these challenges.
4. India replaces Vietnam to become second largest producer of mobile phones
India is now the second-largest mobile phone producer in the world after China. According to the data shared by Indian Cellular Association with the government, annual production of mobile phones in India increased from 3 million units in 2014 to 11 million units in 2017.
- With this, India replaced Vietnam to become the second largest producer of mobile phones in 2017. With the rise in mobile phone production, imports of the devices in the country also reduced to less than half in 2017-18.
5. India is now the world’s No 1 almond importer
India has toppled China and Spain to emerge as the world’s largest consumer of Almond in recent times.
• Almond imports into India rose 7 per cent to worth about Rs 3,900 crore last year against Rs 3,640 crore in 2016.
6. India ranks 37th in global startup ecosystem in 2017: Report
India ranked 37th in the global startup ecosystem in 2017, according to a report released by global startup ecosystem map Start up blink.
- The list, measuring startup ecosystem strength and activity, was topped by the United States followed by the United Kingdom.
7. Indo-Kyrgyzstan joint training exercise KHANJAR-V concludes
The fifth Indo-Kyrgyzstan Joint Training Exercise KHANJAR-V culminated on 29 March, after a joint tactical validation exercise and a closing ceremony held at Counter Insurgency Jungle Warfare School.
- Two week of joint training that commenced on 16 March included understanding tactics of platoon level, developing inter operability and sharing of best practices.
8. International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action: 4 April
International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action is observed all over the world on 4 April.
- This day is observed to create awareness about the threat of mines, unexploded grenades and other explosive hazards.
- The theme for International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action 2018 is ‘Advancing Protection, Peace and Development.’
9. ‘VII Moscow Conference on International Security’
Raksha Mantri Smt Nirmala Sitharaman, who is on three-day visit to Russia to attend ‘VII Moscow Conference on International Security’ from 03 to 05 April 2018, addressed the II Plenary Session of the Conference on the theme titled ‘Global Security in a Polycentric World’ covering aspects related to current global defence, security and strategic scenario on April 4 in the Russian capital.
- Raksha Mantri stated that for India, cooperation with Russia is vital in ensuring stability and security in our shared Eurasian neighbourhood, especially in addressing the menace of terrorism.
10. Swaraj attended NAM ministerial conference in Azerbaijan
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj is in Baku to attend the ministerial conference of the Non-Aligned Movement being held in the capital of Azerbaijan.
- Apart from her meeting with her counterpart Elmar Mammadyarov, Swaraj is scheduled to call on Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev and first Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva during her stay in Baku.
11. Sahyog- Hyeoblyeog: Indian, Korean Coast Guards Hold Joint Exercise
Indo-Korean joint anti-piracy, search and rescue exercise ‘Sahyog- Hyeoblyeog 2018’ was conducted off the Chennai coast, in Tamil Nadu. The Korean Coast Guard ship ‘Bodaro’ took part in the exercise.
- Indian Coast Guard deployed a Dornier aircraft to carry out sea-air coordinated search along with ICG Shaurya, Rani Abbakka, C-423, C-431 in the exercise.
12. India third-most vulnerable to cyber threats behind US, China
India is the third-most vulnerable country in terms of cyber threat risks including malware, spam, ransomware and one of the most recent and difficult-to-detect ones – cryptominers, according to a report.
- About 5.09% global threats were detected in India in 2017 as compared to 5.11% in 2016.
- The US was was most vulnerable to attacks at 26.61% followed by China at 10.95%.
13. E-Way Bill for Inter-State movement of goods comes into force
With the beginning of the financial year 2018-19, the e-way Bill System for Inter-State movement of goods comes into force; An E-way Bill will be required for moving goods worth over 50,000 rupees from one state to another.
- The electronic way Bill system has come into effect across the country. Under this system businesses and transporters have to produce before a GST inspector e-way bill for moving goods worth over Rs 50,000 from one state to another.
14. Gail arm to invest Rs 3,000 cr in Dabhol terminal to double
The newly-created arm of state-run gas major Gail India, Konkan LNG, will pump in around Rs 3,000 crore to double the capacity at its liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminal at Dabhol in the Konkan region of Maharashtra to 10 million tonne over the next three years.
- Konkan LNG, a 100 per cent subsidiary of Gail, had received the first 1.2 lakh tonne shipment of the 5.8-mt LNG contracted from the first-ever long-term agreement with the US signed way back in 2011 and 2013.
15. Tibetans to host ‘Thank You India’ campaign in Delhi
Former Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dixit will preside over the opening ceremony of the Cultural Festival of Tibet event, a part of the year-long ‘Thank You India’ campaign organised by the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA), in New Delhi.
• CTA President Lobsang Sangay will also attend the inaugural ceremony that will continue till April 4.
• Apart from the exhibitions, film screening and performances by the Tibetan Institute of Performing Arts, the festival would also see panel discussion on “India and Tibet: Ancient Ties, Current Bonds”.
16. Delhi becomes first city to roll-out Euro VI fuel
With an aim to combat the rising levels of air pollution in Delhi-NCR region, petrol pumps in the capital started supplying ultra-clean Bharat Stage VI grade fuel (both petrol and diesel).
• This move makes New Delhi the first city in the country to switch from BS-IV grade fuels to BS-VI.
• Other cities like Noida, Ghaziabad, Gurugram and Faridabad along with 13 major cities, including Mumbai, Chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Pune, will also switch over to cleaner BS-VI grade fuel from January 1 next year.
• However, BS- VI fuel will be rolled out in rest of the country by April 2020.
17. Six monuments in North Eastern States identified for listing under World Heritage Site
As many as 6 monuments/historical sites in the North Eastern states have been identified tentatively for listing under World Heritage Site.
Details of monuments/sites identified/placed under tentative list for listing under world heritage in the north eastern states are given below:
1. Apatani Cultural Landscape, Arunachal Pradesh
2. Iconic Saree Weaving Clusters of India
3. Moidams – the Mound – Burial System of the Ahom Dynasty, Assam
4. Namdapha National Park, Arunachal Pradesh
5. River Island of Majuli in midstream of Brahmaputra River in Assam
6. Thembang Fortified Village, Arunachal Pradesh
18. SIDBI Celebrates its Foundation day with launch of ‘ Samridhi’
SIDBI celebrated its foundation day on April 2 as day of Sampark (connect), Sanwad (interaction), Suraksha (security) and Sampreshan (disseminate).
• Chairman Managing Director of SIDBI Shri Mohammad Mustafa launched a series of initiatives from its Lucknow bank headquarters.
• Chairman SIDBI also launched Samridhhi- the virtual assistant on banks revamped universal loan portal http://www.udyamimitra.in.
• During the day, a ‘Bankability Kit’ (brought in partnership with Bank of Baroda and IDBI Bank) was also launched.
19. Rashtriya Avishkar Abhiyan-launched
The Ministry of Human Resource Development has launched the Rashtriya Avishkar Abhiyan (RAA), a convergent framework across School Education and Higher Education aiming to encourage children towards learning Science and Mathematics.
• One of the interventions under RAA is strengthening of school Science and Mathematics laboratories, through the Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan (RMSA).
• Under RMSA, an amount of Rs. 179.73 crore has been approved in 2017-18, for in-service training of science and maths teachers.
20. Mamata Banerjee govt rolls out ‘Rupashree’ for marriages of poor women
The West Bengal government has rolled out Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s dream project ‘Rupashree’ which provides one time financial support to the marriages of poor women.
• ‘Rupashree’ scheme follows the chief minister’s ambitious ‘Kanyashree’ project which has drawn global applause.
• For the ‘Rupashree’ scheme, a woman has to fill the application form before her marriage and submit it to the Block Development Officer (BDO) or Municipality Office.
• An amount of Rs 25,000 will be credited to her bank account before her marriage.
• A sum of Rs 1500 crore has been earmarked for the project.
21. NIRF India Rankings 2018’ for Higher Education Institutions
The Union Minister of Human Resource Development, Shri Prakash Javadekar, released the NIRF India Rankings 2018 in various categories on the basis of performance of Higher Educational Institutions in a programme held in New Delhi.
- Minister of State Human Resource Development, Dr. Satya Pal Singh released the report on the NIRF Rankings during the event. 69 top institutions in 9 categories were given awards at today’s event.
- In this third edition of India Rankings, a total of 2809 institutions have participated in 9 categories.
- Given below is the list of winners in various categories:
- Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru in overall category
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad in management category.
- Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru in overall in university category
- Miranda House, Delhi in college category
- National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Mohali in pharmacy category
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi in medical category
- Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur in architecture category
- National Law School of India University, Bengaluru in law category
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras in engineering category
22. India to be partner country for Ambiente 2019
India will be the partner country for International Frankfurt Trade Fair, Ambiente 2019 to be held during February 8-12, 2019.
- This was announced by Messe Frankfurt at a festive ceremony on the penultimate day of Ambiente 2018.
23. Trial run of first India-Bangladesh container train flagged off
The trial run of the first container train between India and Bangladesh was flagged off from Kolkata city.
- The train left for Bangladesh with 60 containers loaded with almost 1,200 tonnes of de-oiled cake, used as a raw material for animal feed.
- It will pass through Sealdah, Naihati, Ranaghat and Gede in India and Darsana and Ishurdi in Bangladesh before reaching Bangabandhu West station, 117 kilometres off capital city of Dhaka.
24. Piyush Goyal Launches UTTAM APP for Coal Quality Monitoring
The Union Minister for Railways and Coal Shri Piyush Goyal launched UTTAM App for Coal Quality Monitoring. UTTAM stands for – Unlocking Transparency by Third Party Assessment of Mined Coal (uttam.coalindia.in).
- The Ministry of Coal and Coal India Limited (CIL) developed UTTAM,aims to provide an App for all citizens and coal consumers to monitor the process of Third Party Sampling of coal across CIL subsidiaries.
- UTTAM App ensures accountability, transparency, effectiveness and efficiency in coal ecosystem.
- UTTAM is an example of leveraging technology to facilitate a bidirectional channel between Coal India Limited and a common citizen.
25. Prime Minister to inaugurate International Energy Forum in New Delhi
India will host the 16th International Energy Forum (IEF) Ministerial Meeting from 10-12th April 2018 in New Delhi.
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will formally inaugurate the Meeting on 11th April 2018.
- Petroleum Ministers from 42 countries would attend the Meeting.
- The biennial IEF Ministerial Meetings are the world’s largest gathering of Energy Ministers who engage in a dialogue on global energy issues.
- The IEF Ministerial meetings are informal dialogues, at both the political and technical levels, aimed to improve policy and investment decisions, and through increased knowledge and experience sharing.
Points to Remember
- The International Energy Forum (IEF) is an inter-governmental arrangement set up in 1991, based in Riyadh.
- It serves as a neutral facilitator of informal, open, informed and continuing global energy dialogue among its members comprising of energy producing and energy consuming states, including transit countries.
26. Indian maritime day: 5 April
The National Maritime Day of India is observed on 5 April every year across the country.
- On this day in 1919 navigation history was created when SS Loyalty, the first ship of The Scindia Steam Navigation Company Ltd., journeyed to the United Kingdom.
- The theme of the National Maritime Day in 2018 is ‘Indian Shipping – An Ocean of opportunity’.
27. Samta Diwas: 5 April
A homage function on the occasion of the 111th birth anniversary of Babu Jagjivan Ram was organised by the Babu Jagjivan Ram National Foundation under Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment at Samta Sthal, opposite Rajghat, New Delhi.
- The Function at Samta Sthal started by paying homage by Union Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment and President Babu Jagjivan Ram National Foundation Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot, Minister of State for Social Justice & Empowerment Shri Ramdas Athawale, former Speaker of Lok Sabha Smt. Meira Kumar and senior officers of the Ministry, family members of Babuji and large number of followers.
28. Govt. forms committee to regulate news portals
The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has instituted a committee to regulate online portals, including news websites, entertainment sites and media aggregators.
- The 10-member committee will include secretaries of the departments of Home, Legal Affairs, Electronics and Information and Technology, and Industrial Policy and Promotion.
- The CEO of MyGov and a representative each of the Press Council of India and National Broadcasters’ Association will also be part of the committee.
29. Global Logistics Summit Held In New Delhi
The Global Logistics Summit was held in New Delhi.
- It was organized by the Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, along with FICCI (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry) and the World Bank Group.
- The Summit acts as a platform to hold discussions with global experts, academics, government officials and private sector and industry representatives.
30. Exercise Gaganshakti-2018
An all encompassing coordinated and composite exercise named Gaganshakti is being conducted by the IAF from 08-22 Apr 18.
- The aim of this exercise is real time coordination, deployment and employment of Air Power in a short & intense battle scenario.
- During Gaganshakti IAF will exercise the entire machinery to validate its concept of operations and war waging capability.
31. Ministry of Tribal Affairs to launch first ever “Van Dhan Vikas Kendra”
The Ministry of Tribal affairs has approved establishment of the first multipurpose “Van Dhan Vikas Kendra” on pilot basis for establishment in Bijapur District of Chhattisgarh State.
- It has been setup for providing skill upgradation and capacity building training and setting up of primary processing and value addition facility.
- This first model Van Dhan Vikas Kendra is being implemented for training of 300 beneficiaries with a total outlay of Rs 43.38 lakhs for training, providing equipment’s & tools for primary level processing and infrastructure & building for housing the Kendra.
32. Khadi Store Locator App Launched
The 9th National Board of Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) met in New Delhi.
- The Minister of State for MSME, Giriraj Singh chaired the meeting.
- The Minister launched a mobile phone application for locating 4,000 Khadi stores in the country.
- There are more than 8,000 Khadistores in India, the rest of stores will also be available on the store locater by the end of this month.
- This was informed by Vinai Kumar Saxena, Chairman KVIC in the board meeting.
33. CIC to hold seminar on Health and RTI
The Central Information Commission (CIC) is holding a seminar on the topic “Health and Right to Information Act”.
- The Seminar is aimed at Health and Right to Information Act 2005, with a view to improve governance in the Health sector.
- Dr. V. K. Paul, Member, Niti Aayog and Shri Indu Bhushan, CEO, Ayushman Bharat will also attend the seminar.
34. First US shale gas reaches India; GAIL’s Dabhol terminal receives cargo
India’s first liquefied natural gas cargo from the United States landed at the Dabhol regasification terminal in Maharashtra.
- Receiving the first-ever shipment of 1.2 lakh tonne LNG under the long-term contract of 20 years, oil minister Dharmendra Pradhan also announced a Rs 700-crore investment by the newly-created Gail arm Konkan LNG to complete an under-construction breakwater facility, that on completion will make the terminal an all-weather facility.
35. Smooth roll out of e-Way Bill system from 1st April, 2018
As per decision of the GST Council, e-Way Bill system became mandatory from 01stApril, 2018 for all inter-State movement of goods.
• The implementation of the nationwide e-Way Bill mechanism under GST regime is being done by GSTN in association with the National Informatics Centre (NIC)and is being run on portal namely https://ewaybillgst.gov.in.
• On day-1, total of 2.59 lakh e-Way Bills were generated on the e-way bill portal.
• To assist and answer queries of taxpayers and transporters, the Central helpdesk of GST has made special arrangements with 100 agents exclusively dedicated to answer queries related to e-way bills.
• E-way Bill can be generated through various modes like Web (Online), Android App, SMS, using Bulk Upload Tool and API based site to site integration etc.
• Consolidated e-way Bill can be generated by transporters for vehicle carrying multiple consignments.
36. Jio Payments Bank begins operations
The Reserve Bank has said that Jio Payments Bank has commences its banking services from April 3.
- Reliance Industries Ltd was one of the 11 applicants which were issued in-principle approval for setting up a payments bank in August 2015.
- Telecom major Bharti Airtel was the first to begin payment bank services in November 2016.
37. MoU between Indian Army and HDFC Bank
A Memorandum of Undertaking (MoU) was signed between the Indian Army and HDFC Bank on the Defence Salary Package on 03 Apr 2018.
- The first MoU between HDFC Bank and the Indian Army was signed in 2011 and was renewed on 13 Mar 2015.
- The current MoU is tailor made to suit the requirements of serving soldiers, pensioners and families.
- Currently Indian Army has MoUs on Defence Salary Package with 11 public and private sector banks.
38. RBI drops Axis Bank from list of bullion importers
RBI has dropped Axis Bank from a list of banks it has cleared to import gold and silver in the current financial year that began April 1.
- Bank of Baroda, HDFC Bank and Bank of Nova Scotia were among the 16 banks allowed to import bullion.
- Two other small banks Karur Vyasa and South Indian Bank, were also dropped from the RBI list.
39. IndusInd Bank gets RBI nod to acquire IL&FS arm
Private sector lender IndusInd Bank said it has received RBI’s approval to buy the securities services arm of IL&FS.
- In March 2017, the bank entered an agreement with Infrastructure Leasing and Financial Services, the promoter shareholder of IL&FS Securities Services Ltd (ISSL), to acquire 100 per cent stake in ISSL.
40. Doha Bank sets up first branch in Chennai
Qatar-based Doha Bank has set up the first branch in the Chennai taking the total number of branches in the country to three, a top official said.
- Doha Bank currently has a branch in Mumbai, Kochi and Chennai, respectively.
- The Chennai branch will assist the bank’s growing customer base in India offering a host of services including corporate, retail, treasury, trade, finance and foreign exchange services.
41. India Ratings ups India’s FY19 GDP growth to 7.4%
India Ratings and Research has revised its FY19 GDP growth forecast to 7.4% from 7.1% earlier.
- As per the report, FY19 growth will continue to be driven by consumption and associated sectors such as automobiles, cargo handled at major ports.
42. IndusInd first bank to use WhatsApp for basic services
IndusInd Bank has become the first lender to start using WhatsApp enterprise solution to provide basic banking services to customers.
- Using the widely-used messaging service, customers can check their balance, obtain a mini statement, check reward points as well as update Aadhaar.
43. First Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Statement, 2018-19
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has released First Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Statement of 2018-19 on April 5 2018.
- Growth rate: 7.4 percent
- Inflation target for the first half of current fiscal: 4.7-5.1 percent
- Repo rate: 6 percent
- Reverse repo rate: 5.75 percent
- MSF: 6.25%
- Bank Rate: 6.25%
- CRR: 4%
44. ICICI Bank launches social media-based remittance service for NRIs
Leading private lender ICICI Bank announced the launch of a service that enables Non Resident Indians (NRIs) to send money to a beneficiary in India using social media platforms like WhatsApp and e-mail.
- Christened ‘Social Pay’, this first-of-its-kind service is available on Money2India (M2I), the bank’s app for remittances.
- This new facility will enable NRIs to send money conveniently to their friends and family.
45. Bank of Baroda slapped with Rs 9 crore fine over remittance scam
The Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) has slapped Rs 9 crore penalty on Bank of Baroda for “failing” to adhere to anti-money laundering norms, and not having an effective system to report suspicious transactions linked to the Rs 6,000 crore scam in its Delhi-based branch.
- The FIU has levied the maximum penalty of Rs 1 lakh, as stipulated under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), for each instance of “delayed” filing of Suspicious Transaction Reports (STRs) by the state-owned bank in the case.
46. Agreement Between NPCIL and EDF of France
Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) and Electricite de France (EDF) of France have signed an Industrial Way Forward Agreement for implementation of six nuclear power reactor units at Jaitapur, Maharashtra with a total capacity of about 10,000 MW.
- The Evolutionary Pressurized Reactors (EPRs) are evolutionary reactors, whose design has evolved from “KONVOI’ and “N4’ reactors which have been in operation in Germany and France respectively for about two decades.
47. India pips Japan to become second largest crude steel manufacturer
In a major achievement, India has overtaken Japan to become the world’s second largest producer of crude steel in February, according to the Steel Users Federation of India (SUFI).
- At present, China is the largest producer of crude steel in the world, accounting for more than 50% of the production.
- India overtook the U.S. in 2015 to become the third largest producer of crude steel.
48. India and World Bank sign New Project to benefit Small and Marginal Farmers in Maharashtra
The Government of India, Government of Maharashtra and the World Bank signed a US$ 420 million project to help Small and Marginal farmers in the Marathwada and Vidarbha regions of Maharashtra.
- The project will help in increasing climate resilient practices in agriculture and ensuring that farming continues to remain a financially viable activity for them.
49. Debjani Ghosh assumes charge as Nasscom President
Nasscom said that former Intel executive Debjani Ghosh has taken over as the President of the IT industry association.
• She succeeds R Chandrashekhar, who is leaving office upon the completion of his term.
• Ghosh takes office at a time when the Indian IT-BPM industry is playing a leading role in digital transformation of various industries across countries.
50. M L Srivastava appointed protem chairman of Lalit Kala Akademi
M L Srivastava, Joint Secretary (Akademies) at the culture ministry has been appointed as the protem chairman of the Lalit Kala Akademi.
- He will continue to hold the office till a regular chairman is appointed.
- On the recommendation of the Minister of Culture, the President has appointed M L Srivastava.
51. Himanta Biswa Sarma Elected BAI President
Assam Health and Education Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma was unanimously elected the Badminton Association of India (BAI) President during its annual general body meeting in Goa.
- Ajay Kumar Singhania was elected the Secretary General while former Tamil Nadu Badminton Association president and former Union minister Anbumani Ramadoss was elected treasurer.
- Sarma had taken over as the interim BAI President last year after the demise of Akhilesh Das Gupta. He will serve for four years.
52. High Powered Committee to examine the system of conducting Class X and Class XII exam
The Ministry of Human Resource Development has constituted a High Powered Committee to examine the entire system of conducting Class X and Class XII examination conducted by the CBSE with a view to prevent leakages.
- Shri Vinay Sheel Oberoi, Retd. Secretary (Higher Education), MHRD will be the Chairperson of the 7 member High Power Committee.
- The other members of the committee include Shri Pavnesh Kumar, Prof. J.S. Rajput, Prof. Vasudha Kamat, Prof. Krishna Mohan Tripathy, Senior representative of DG, NIC and Joint Secretary (SE-II)
- The High-Powered Committee will submit its report by on or before 31.05.2018.
53. SBI Life gets new MD & CEO
SBI Life Insurance has appointed Sanjeev Nautiyal as its new Managing Director and CEO.
- He replaces Arijit Basu, who takes over a key role in the State Bank of India Group.
- Nautiyal started his career with State Bank of India in 1985 as a probationary officer in the bank’s Lucknow Circle.
54. Dhoni, Advani to be conferred with Padma awards
Cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni and billiards champion Pankaj Advani are among the 41 prominent personalities who will be conferred with the prestigious Padma awards of 2018 by President Ram Nath Kovind in New Delhi today.
- As many as 84 Padma awards were announced this year.
- The Padma awards list comprises three Padma Vibhushan, nine Padma Bhushan and 72 Padma Shri awards.
55. Mangaluru Airport Adjudged India’s Cleanest
The Mangalore International Airport has been adjudged the cleanest airport in the country.
• Airport director VV Rao received the award during the 23rd annual day celebrations of the Airports Authority of India (AAI) in New Delhi.
• In the survey conducted across 53 airports in the country by AAI, Mangaluru airport was adjudged the cleanest.
56. Mithali Raj adjudged ‘Sportsperson of the Year’
Indian women’s cricket team captain Mithali Raj was adjudged ‘Sportsperson of the Year’ while ace shuttlers Kidambi Srikanth and PV Sindhu bagged the best senior male and female athletes at the Telangana Sports Journalists Association annual awards for 2017.
- Former Indian cricketer VVS Laxman presented ‘best coach of the year’ award to Gopichand, who received this award for second time in a row, an Association release said.
- Triple Olympian and former national hockey player N Mukesh Kumar was honoured with the Lifetime Achievement award at the event.
57. Jr World Cup: Muskan Bhanwala wins 25m pistol gold; India bag fourth individual gold
The final competition day at the ISSF Junior World Cup in Sydney opened with another gold awarded to the Indian National Team, as Muskan Bhanwala secured the gold medal in the 25m Pistol Women Junior event.
- Bhanwala — who placed 4th at last year’s ISSF Junior World Championship in Suh, Germany — took the lead at the end of the sixth round, when she nailed a perfect 5-hit series and found herself sitting on a 3-point advantage over her closest rival, People’s Republic of China’s Qin Sihang (16).
58. Kerala lifts their sixth Santosh Trophy
Kerala have lifted their sixth Santosh Trophy Football title. In a thrilling final at the Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata, they held their nerves to beat defending champions and 32-time winners Bengal via penalty shootout.
- Kerala had beaten Punjab 3-2 with an extra time goal to win their earlier Santosh Trophy title in New Delhi in October 2004.
59. Miami Open: John Isner beats Alexander Zverev to win first Masters 1,000 title
American John Isner won his first ever Masters 1,000 title with a 6-7 (4-7) 6-4 6-4 victory over German Alexander Zverev in the Miami Open final.
- US Open champion Sloane Stephens beat Latvian Jelena Ostapenko to win her first Miami Open title.
- It was the 34th edition of the Miami Open.
- All men and women’s events took place at the Tennis Center at Crandon Park in Key Biscayne, Florida, United States, from March 19 through April 1, 2018
60. 21st Commonwealth Games to begin today
The 2018 Commonwealth Games, officially known as the XXI Commonwealth Games and commonly known as Gold Coast 2018, is an international multi-sport event for members of the Commonwealth that will be held on the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, between 4 and 15 April 2018.
- It will be the fifth time Australia has hosted the Commonwealth Games.
- A total of 275 events will be held in 19 sports.
- Opening ceremony will be held in Carrara Stadium.
- The official motto for the 2018 Commonwealth Games is “Share the Dream”.
- Borobi was named as the mascot of the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
61. India win South East Asian Women Handball C’ship
India defeated Bangladesh by 27-10 in a one-sided match to win the fifth South East Asian Women Handball Championship at K.D. Singh Babu Stadium in Lucknow.
- A total of five countries participated in the tournament.
- While Nepal finished as runner-ups in the five-country tournament, Bangladesh settled for the third spot and a bronze medal.
62. Weightlifter Mirabai Chanu Wins India’s First Gold at CWG 2018
World champion weightlifter Mirabai Chanu (48kg) secured India’s first gold medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
- The Indian ended with a score of 196kg (86kg+110kg).
- Earlier, Weightlifter Gururaja bagged India’s first medal (silver) in the 2018 Commonwealth Games with a total lift of 249 kg in the men’s 56 kg event
63. Film director C.V. Rajendran passes away
- Tamil film director C.V. Rajendran, who was part of late C.V. Sridhar’s unit and directed a few memorable films like Kalatta Kalyanam, Sumathi En Sundari and Raja starring Sivaji Ganesan and Jayalalithaa and Ponoonjal, died aged 81.
64. President receives copy of special issue of ‘Think India’ journal on Deen Dayal Upadhyay
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, received a copy of a special issue of the ‘Think India’ journal, devoted to the late philosopher-politician Deendayal Upadhyay, at Rashtrapati Bhavan today.
• The copy was given to the President by Dr Murli Manohar Joshi, MP, in the presence of Shri D P Tripathi, MP, and editor of the special issue.
• Among others Dr Shashi Tharoor, MP, and Shri Pawan Verma, former MP, were also present.