Today’s article ‘Chance for peace: on US and North Korea’s relations‘ has been picked from ‘The Hindu’
Challenging Words in the Article –
1) Conducive (adjective) (अनुकूल): con-dew-siv
Meaning – making a certain situation or outcome likely or possible.
Synonyms – instrumental, beneficial, convenient, advantageous, helpful,
Antonyms – damaging, unfavorable, deleterious
Example -The declining number of available positions are conducive for the highest unemployment rate in decades.
2) Outreach (adjective) (आगे निकल जाना): aaut-reach
Meaning – the extent or length of reaching out.
Synonyms – exceed, circumvent, surpass, transcend, beguile
Antonyms – disappear, lose, termination
Example – When the police officer gave his new shoes to a homeless man, this outreach of sympathy was appreciated by the man.
3) Rhetoric (adjective) (वक्रपटुता): re-eto-rik
Meaning – the art of effective or persuasive speaking or writing
Synonyms – elocution, discourse, declamation, oration
Antonyms – conciseness, quiet
Example – The general hoped his rhetoric would stir his soldiers into action.
4) Denuclearisation (adjective) (परमाणु मुक्त): de-nucle-arise-ashun
Meaning – to remove nuclear weapons from (a country, region, etc.).
Example – South Korean President Moon Jae emphasized his government’s principle of denuclearization and peace on the Korean peninsula.
5) Fraught (adjective) (भरा हुआ): fraw-t
Meaning – filled with, causing or affected by anxiety or stress
Synonyms– filled, anxious, loaded, teeming
Antonyms– destitute, devoid, bare, incomplete
Example – Even though the contract looks good at first glance, it is actually fraught with contradictions and is quite misleading.
6) Defuse(adjective) ( शांत करना): de-fuse
Meaning –make (a situation) less tense or dangerous.
Synonyms- mollify, pacify, appease, alleviate, diminish
Antonyms- agitate, aggravate, badger, actuate
Example – The organization helped defuse potentially violent situations.
7) Pose(adjective) (बनाना): poze
Meaning– present or constitute (a problem or danger).
Synonyms– posture, stance, perplex, bluff
Antonyms– conceal, demulsify, disguise
Example – The sheer number of visitors is posing a threat to the area.
Idioms/Phrases/Phrasal Verbs in the article –
8)In the face of (phrase) (अनिश्चित):
Meaning – When threatened by or confronted with
Example – It’s hard to be an optimist in the face of so much tragedy and turmoil in the news each day.
Now that you have read the words and the editorial, it is time to test your English writing ability. Make sentences with the words given below and write in Comments Section which will be reviewed by us –
Word of the Day
- Adjudge (Verb) – घोषित करना
- Meaning – to announce a decision or consider something, especially officially
- Synonyms –decide, declare, adjudicate, pronounce
- Antonyms –deny, contravene, repudiate, contradict
- Example (English) –Delhi airport adjudged the best airport in the world.
- Example (Hindi) – दिल्ली हवाई अड्डा दुनिया में सर्वश्रेष्ठ हवाई अड्डा घोषित हुआ।