1. Paper £10 notes go out of circulation in UK
Old paper £10 notes, featuring British naturalist Charles Darwin, went out of circulation across the UK on March 1.
- They have been replaced by the new polymer version featuring British author Jane Austen introduced last year.
- Anyone with the old banknote will need to deposit it at a bank as shops will refuse to accept them as they cease to be legal tender.
2. World Wild Life Day: 3 March
World Wild Life Day was celebrated all over the world on March 3 to create awareness about the world’s wild animals and plants and safeguard them.
- The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) announced 3 March, as UN World Wildlife Day, to mark the date on which the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) was signed.
- The theme for World Wildlife Day 2018 is: “Big cats: predators under threat”.
3. India, Russia, Bangladesh sign pact for Rooppur atomic plant
Indian companies can now participate in construction and installation works in the “non-critical” category for the Rooppur nuclear power plant in Bangladesh.
- The Rooppur project is the first initiative under an Indo-Russian deal to undertake atomic energy projects in third countries.
- This will also be the first time Indian companies will be able to participate in a nuclear power project abroad.
- India is not a member of the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) and hence cannot participate directly in construction of atomic power reactors.
4. India has the third highest number of billionaires in the world
With 31 new Indians on the list, India comes third after China and USA on Hurun’s Global Rich List 2018.
- However, China with 819 names and USA with 571 are way ahead in terms of number of billionaires.
- The total number of Indians on that list is 131, but if Indian-origins are considered then the tally would move up to 170.
- The Hurun Rich List 2018 ranked 2,694 billionaires from 68 countries and 2,157 companies.
5. International Women’s Day: 8 March
International Women’s Day (IWD) is celebrated on March 8 every year. It commemorates the movement for women’s rights.
- While the first observance of a Women’s Day was held on February 28, 1909 in New York, March 8 was suggested by the 1910 International Woman’s Conference to become an “International Woman’s Day.”
- Theme for the year 2018 is ‘Time is Now: Rural and urban activists transforming women’s lives’.
6. World ATM congress held in Spain
The Airports Authority of India (AAI) is participating in World ATM Congress (WATMC) 2018 being held at IFEMA, Feria de Madrid, Spain from March 6 to 8.
- World ATM Congress is the world’s largest international air traffic management (ATM) exhibition and conference attracting thousands of delegates each year.
- The AAI is showcasing its achievements and initiatives, through a stall at the conference.
7. Global Firepower ranks India’s military as fourth strongest
India’s military is placed fourth on a global index that has ranked 133 countries on the basis of their global military prowess.
- The US, Russia and China were on top three positions respectively.
- India’s western neighbour Pakistan ranks 13 on the Global Firepower (GFP) list 2017.
8. Conference inaugurated to mark ‘World Rare Disease Day’
Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare, Shri J.P. Nadda, in the presence of Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh, inaugurated the one-day Conference to mark “World Rare Disease Day”.
- A newsletter published by the “Indian Organization of Rare diseases” was also released on the occasion.
9. Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahtsav ends on a grand note in Indore
‘Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav (RSM) -2018’ a diversified cultural carnival organized by Ministry of Culture in Madhya Pradesh ended in Indore with a dazzling closing ceremony graced by the esteemed presence of the Loksabha Speaker, Smt. Sumitra Mahajan as the Chief Guest.
- Braving showers, people participated in the valedictory of the cultural extravaganza in large numbers. Starting its journey from the Gwalior’s Maan Mandir Fort the event showcased an amalgamation of Crafts & Art Forms, Cuisine Fest and Magnificent Performances.
- The festival received continuous gratitude for playing a major role to effectively connect the audience to the rich, diverse and undiscovered culture of India under the umbrella of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat.
10. Cabinet approves continuation of PMEGP beyond 12th Plan
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the continuation of Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP) beyond 12th Plan for three years from 2017-18 to 2019-20 with a total outlay of Rs.5,500 crore.
- Scheme will create sustainable estimated employment opportunities for 15 lakh persons in three financial years.
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) is the nodal implementation agency at the national level.
- At the State/district level, State offices of KVIC, Khadi and Village Industries Boards (KVIBs) and District Industry Centres (DIC) are the implementing agencies. Applications are invited and processed on-line on PMEGP-e-portal.
11. Dr Harsh Vardhan Launches Mobile App
In an effort to transform environment protection into a peoples’ movement, a digital mobile application was launched by the Union Minister for Environment, Forests and Climate Change. Earth Sciences and Science & Technology in New Delhi.
- The App, named “Dr Harsh Vardhan”, focuses on his social & public activities and involvement of citizens in “Green Good Deeds” movement, which urges people to perform at least one Green Good Deed every day.
- Some of the 500 Green Good Deeds listed in the Mobile App include – planting trees, saving energy, conserving water, use of public transport and promoting carpool.
12. Successful Flight Test of ATGM NAG
Anti Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM) NAG were successfully flight-tested in desert conditions against two tank targets at different ranges and timings.
- NAG ATGM has been developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and flight tests have once again proved its capability.
- With this, the developmental trials of the missile have been completed and it is now ready for induction.
13. India, Israel Joint Steering Committee Meeting on Homeland and Public Security held
The two-day meeting of the Joint Steering Committee on Homeland and Public Security of India and Israel concluded in New Delhi.
- The meeting follows the resolve of the Prime Ministers of both countries to combat the grave threat that terrorism poses to peace and security.
- The objectives of the meetings were capacity building and modernization in the Police Forces besides border management.
14. 1,28,509 Affordable Houses Sanctioned for Urban Poor under PMAY(urban)
Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs has approved the construction of 1,28,509 more affordable houses for the benefit of urban poor under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) with an investment of Rs. 9,364 cr with central assistance of Rs. 1,928 cr.
- The approval was given in the 31st meeting of the Central Sanctioning and Monitoring Committee in its meeting.
- The projects where sanctioned across 184 cities in the states of Chhattisgarh, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Puducherry(UT).
15. India’s first Aviation multi-skill development centre opens in Chandigarh
An aviation multi-skill development centre (MSDC) was opened in Chandigarh by aviation minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju.
- A CSR initiative of Airports Authority of India (AAI), this first-of-its-kind centre has been set up in collaboration with the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and is supported by the Aerospace and Aviation Sector Skill Council (AASSC) of India.
- The Rs 5.2 crore project is housed at Chandigarh’s old airport terminal building.
16. First Mega Food Park in Maharashtra at Satara Inaugurated
The first Mega Food Park in the state of Maharashtra, M/s Satara Mega Food Park Pvt. Ltd. at Village Degaon, District Satarawas inaugurated on 1stMarch, 2018 by Smt. Harsimrat Kaur Badal, Minister of Food Processing Industries in the presence of Shri Devendra Fadnavis, Chief Minister, of Maharashtra.
- This is the 12th Mega Food Park operationalized in the country so far and the 10th operationalized during the tenure of present government.
- Under the Scheme, Government of India provides financial assistance upto Rs. 50 Crore per Mega Food Park project.
17. List of MoUs signed during the Visit of the King of Jordan to India
- MoU on Defence Cooperation
- Visa waiver for diplomatic and official passport holders
- Cultural Exchange Programme (CEP)
- Manpower Cooperation Agreement
- MoU for cooperation in the field of Health and Medicine between India and Jordan
- MoU for setting up of the next generation Centre of Excellence (COE) in Jordan
- MoU for long term supply of Rock Phosphate and Fertilizer/NPK
- Customs Mutual Assistance Agreement
- Twining Agreement between Agra and Petra (Jordan)
- Cooperation between Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC) and Jordan Media Institute (JMI)
- MoU between PrasarBharati and Jordan TV
- MoU between University of Jordan (UJ) and ICCR regarding setting up of a Hindi Chair at the University
18. Dr Bhamre inaugurates Annual Army Seminar 2017-18
Raksha Rajya Mantri Dr Subhash Bhamre inaugurated one-day Annual Army Seminar for 2017-18 on ‘Contribution of the Army Towards Nation Building’ at Manekshaw Centre New Delhi.
- Objective of the seminar is to highlight the contributions of the Indian Army towards Nation building and identify new spheres and areas for future participation.
19. Western Naval Command Concludes Exercise Paschim Leher (XPL-18)
The Western Naval Command of the Indian Navy concluded a large scale operational exercise in the Arabian Sea.
- The three week long exercise termed Exercise ‘Paschim Leher’ (XPL), tested the operational readiness of the Western Naval Command and the execution of it’s operational plans.
- Over 40 naval assets including the aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya, frontline ships of the Western Fleet and Eastern Fleet (including the newly inducted Kolkata class), submarines, potent missile vessels of the 22nd Killer Squadron, Patrol vessels and craft of the Local Flotilla and Indian Coast Guard participated in the exercise.
20. Finance Minister Inaugurates GPF and EPPO Modules on 42nd Civil Accounts Day
The Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs Shri Arun Jaitley said that there is a certain amount of sanctity which must remain attached to the Government Accounting System.
- Delivering the Inaugural Address at the 42nd Civil Accounts Day function in national capital, the Finance Minister said that while there are Government Departments that can function with a fairly high amount of accuracy, the Civil Accounts Department is one that cannot afford to err because a small error can lay a huge foot prints.
21. Delhi govt to set up State Sanskrit Education Council
The Delhi government has decided to set up its State Sanskrit Education Council to improve the state of formal education of the language in the national capital.
- Deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia has directed the education department to examine various representations received by the Delhi government pertaining to Sanskrit education in schools and colleges.
22. NHAI to deploy all women toll collecting staff on international Women’s Day
The National Highways Authority of India has decided to deploy all women toll collecting staff in day shift on at least one toll plaza close to the city area, in every state and UT of the country on 8th March 2018, International Women’s Day.
- If this initiative is successful, then it will be implemented across all toll plazas under operation by NHAI within the next 3 months.
- The Regional Officers have been instructed in this regard.
23. World’s largest solar park launched in Karnataka
The world’s largest solar park set up at an investment of Rs.16,500 crore at Pavagada in Karnataka’s Tumakuru district was launched by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah.
- The 2,000 MW park, named as ‘Shakti Sthala’, spans across 13,000 acres spread over five villages.
- The park’s development is anchored by the Karnataka Solar Power Development Corp. Ltd (KSPDCL).
- The project has been executed within a record time of two years.
24. Telangana launches integrated app for all government services
The Telangana government has launched an m-Governance mobile application called ‘T App Folio’ to help citizens with one point access to government services.
- The Telangana government plans to bring on-board all mobile apps of its various departments to T App Folio over next 12 months.
- Telangana has become the second state government in India to set up a mobile service delivery gateway in place for the provision of government to citizen (G2C) services.
25. Odisha Launches Scheme To Provide Free Sanitary Pads
As part of its initiatives to empower women, the Odisha government has launched Khushi scheme to provide free sanitary napkins to school girls across the state.
- The scheme will be implemented by the health and family welfare department of the state at a cost of 70 crore per year.
- Under the scheme, the state will provide free sanitary napkins to 17 lakh girls studying in Classes 6 to 12 in government and government-aided schools.
26. Centre approves Rs 2900 crore to make cities safer for women
The Centre has approved projects worth over Rs 2,900 crore under the Nirbhaya fund for eight major cities of the country in a bid to make them safer for women.
- Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad Ahmedabad and Lucknow have been sanctioned a total of Rs 2,919.55 crore after a meeting of the Empowered Committee, which is headed by the secretary of Women and Child Development (WCD).
- The Nirbhaya Fund was set up in the aftermath of the gruesome gangrape and murder of a paramedical student in Delhi in 2012, and aims at improving safety for women.
27. Maharashtra government ties up with Wikipedia to promote Marathi
The Maharashtra government has tied up with Wikipedia, the free online encyclopedia, to propagate the Marathi language and increase its usage online.
- The state government made its announcement via a press release on March 1 — Marathi language day.
- It said this will help spread the language across the globe and give Marathi-speaking people a single platform to interact.
28. List of Agreements signed visit of President of Vietnam to India
MoU on Economic and Trade Cooperation.
- Work Plan for the years 2018-2022 between the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) and Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development of Vietnam.
- MoU on Cooperation between the Global Centre for Nuclear Energy Partnership, India (GCNEP) and the Vietnam Atomic Energy Institute (VINATOM).
Points to Remember
- Vietnam, officially the Socialist Republic of is the easternmost country on the Indochina Peninsula in Southeast Asia.
- Tran Dại Quang is the President of Vietnam. Nguyen Xuan Phuc is the Prime Minister of Vietnam.
- Hanoi is the Capital of Vietnam while Dong is the Currency.
29. After 25 years, Manik Sarkar steps down as Tripura CM
Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar tendered his resignation to Governor Tathagata Roy, who asked him to continue in office till the next Chief Minister takes over.
- The BJP-IPFT coalition has swept the polls, winning 43 of the 59 seats for which elections were held.
- The BJP secured 35 seats in the 60-member assembly while its ally IPFT, a tribal based party, has won eight seats.
30. National Safety Day: 4 March
National Safety Day is a Day which is used to make every people get safe from many issues such as Financial Loss, Health problems and also any types of problems in the life of the citizens.
- It is used to celebrate to become more secure from the activities which reflect and change the situation of the people in many ways evil as well as good ways.
- It is celebrated on the 4th March every year in India by the National Safety Council of India.
31. Odisha govt launches ‘Ama Gaon, Ama Vikas’ programme
The Odisha government has launched a programme Ama Gaon, Ama Vikas (Our Village, our development) to reach out to the people in rural areas and involve themselves in the developmental activities.
- Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik flagged off mobile video vans for ‘Ama Gaon Ama Vikas’ programme that will move across the State to highlight various welfare schemes at villages in the state.
- He said this initiative administration will help people in solving their grievances instantly.
32. Bengaluru’s first helitaxi service takes off
App-based taxi service took on a whole new meaning when Bengaluru’s first helitaxi service took off, ferrying passengers from Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) to Electronics City in 15 minutes.
- The helitaxi, touted to be the first such service in the country.
- The service is being offered by KIA in partnership with Thumby Aviation Pvt Ltd, in an effort to reduce the time taken to travel to the city from the international airport.
33. Threat of new malware looms over cyberspace
After Mirai and Reaper, cybersecurity agencies have detected a new malware called Saposhi, which is capable of taking over electronic devices and turning them into ‘bots’, which can be then used for any purpose, including a Distributed Denial Of Service attack which, with enough firepower, can cripple entire industries.
- “Saposhi is similar in its intensity to Reaper, which was taking over millions of devices at the rate of 10,000 devices per day.
34. Over Rs. 5600 crore sanctioned under Swadesh Darshan Scheme by Tourism Ministry
A total amount of Rs. 5638.87 crore was sanctioned with release of Rs. 2148.17 crore since 2014-15 till date under the Swadesh Darshan Scheme of Ministry of Tourism.
- Under the Swadesh Darshan scheme, thirteen thematic circuits have been identified, for development namely: North-East India Circuit, Buddhist Circuit, Himalayan Circuit, Coastal Circuit, Krishna Circuit, Desert Circuit, Tribal Circuit, Eco Circuit, Wildlife Circuit, Rural Circuit, Spiritual Circuit, Ramayana Circuit and Heritage Circuit.
35. Centre sanctions Rs 1,000 crore for research and innovation
The Union Government has announced a grant of Rs 1,000 crore for the second phase of the Impacting Research Innovation and Technology (IMPRINT) India programme.
- Under the IMPRINT-II, a fund is being created by the Department of Science and Technology and Ministry of Human Resource Development together, in which participation will come from industry and other interested Ministries.
- Under the IMPRINT-I Programme, 142 projects at a cost of Rs. 318.71 crore are already under implementation.
36. Cabinet approves MoU between UPSC and Public Service Commission of Mauritius
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) and Public Service Commission of Mauritius.
- The MoU will strengthen the existing relationship between UPSC and Public Service Commission of Mauritius.
- It will facilitate sharing of experience and expertise of both the parties in the area of recruitment.
- The MoU will develop institutionalized linkage between the Public Service Commissions of two countries.
37. Swachh Shakti 2018 to be held in Lucknow
The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, in association with the Government of Uttar Pradesh, is organizing a Women’s Convention – called Swachh Shakti 2018 – on International Women’s Day, at Lucknow.
- 8000 women sarpanches, 3000 women Swachhagrahis, 2000 mahilasamakhyas from Uttar Pradesh and women sarpanches from across the country have been invited to recognize their outstanding contribution towards making Swachh Bharat a reality in rural India.
- Last year, 6000 women sarpanches from across the country had assembled in Gujarat on the occasion of International Women’s Day under the banner Swachh Shakti 2017.
38. RK Singh launches National E-Mobility Programme
Shri R K Singh, Union Minister of State (IC) Power and New & Renewable Energy, launched the National E-Mobility Programme.
- The Programme aims to provide an impetus to the entire e-mobility ecosystem including vehicle manufacturers, charging infrastructure companies, fleet operators, service providers, etc.
- The Programme will be implemented by Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) which will aggregate demand by procuring electric vehicles in bulk to get economies of scale.
39. NITI Aayog to launch Women Entrepreneurship Platform
NITI Aayog, the premier think tank of the country will launch its Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) on 8th March on the occasion of the International Women’s Day.
- NITI Vice Chairman Rajiv Kumar, CEO, Amitabh Kant, UN Resident Coordinator in India Yuri Afanasiev and Kailash Kher, along with industry leaders and partners of WEP will be present on this occasion
- Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) would provide a vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem where women do not face any gender-based barriers.
- The platform aspires to substantially increase the number of women entrepreneurs who will create and empower a dynamic New India.
- WEP will provide opportunities to women to realize their entrepreneurial aspirations, scale-up innovative initiatives and chalk-out sustainable, long-term strategies for their businesses.
40. India’s GDP growth rises to 7.2% in December quarter
India regained the status of the world’s fastest-growing major economy in the October-December quarter, driven by a pick-up in growth in manufacturing and services sectors.
- Gross domestic product or GDP grew 7.2 per cent in the October-December quarter.
- This is the highest quarterly growth recorded since July-September quarter of 2016-17.
- China had recorded a growth of 6.8 per cent in the December quarter.
41. Cabinet approves Establishment of National Financial Reporting Authority
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the proposal for establishment of National Financial Reporting Authority (NFRA) and creation of one post of Chairperson, three posts of full-time Members and one post of Secretary for NFRA.
- The decision aims at establishment of NFRA as an independent regulator for the auditing profession which is one of the key changes brought in by the Companies Act, 2013.
- The inclusion of the provision in the Act was on the specific recommendations of the Standing Committee on Finance (in its 21st report).
42. EESL to install energy-efficient LEDs across all airports in India
Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Airports Authority of India (AAI) for installing energy-efficient LED lights at airports, buildings and facilities owned by AAI across India.
- EESL will make the entire upfront investment of Rs. 24.41 crore on the project.
- The MoU is signed under the Buildings Energy Efficiency Programme (BEEP).
43. RBI lifts per-borrower loan cap for MSMEs
In view of the increasing importance of the services sector and to encourage banks to lend more to this sector, the Reserve Bank of India has decided to lift per borrower loan limits to Micro/ Small and Medium Enterprises (Services).
- So far, loans to Micro/ Small and Medium Enterprises (Services) up to Rs 5 crore and Rs 10 crore, respectively, were classified as priority sector lending (PSL).
- Now all bank loans to MSMEs will qualify under priority sector without any credit cap.
44. Paytm emerges largest UPI transaction platform
Paytm has said it is the largest contributor to the overall volume of UPI transactions in February 2018.
- In a statement, Paytm said it had registered 6.8 crore UPI transactions in February.
- In December 2017, Paytm contributed 3.3 crore to the overall transaction volume for UPI.
45. RBI slaps Rs 3 cr penalty on Axis Bank, 2 cr on IOB
The Reserve Bank said it has imposed a penalty of Rs 3 crore on Axis Bank for violation of NPA classification norms, and Rs 2 crore on Indian Overseas Bank for not complying with the KYC regulations.
- The RBI has imposed, a monetary penalty of Rs 3 crore on Axis Bank Limited for non-compliance with the directions issued by RBI on Income Recognition and Asset Classification (IRAC) norms,” it said.
- Regarding the state-owned Indian Overseas Bank, the regulator said in a separate release that a “fraud was detected” in one of the branches of the bank.
46. PNB appoints A K Pradhan as Group Chief Risk Officer
Punjab National Bank (PNB) has appointed its general manager A K Pradhan as the Group Chief Risk Officer.
- The state-owned lender, however, did not disclose the functions and responsibilities of the Group Chief Risk Officer.
- PNB has said that the amount of fraud in the Nirav Modi case can go up to Rs 12,700 crore as against the earlier estimate of Rs 11,400 crore.
47. Vinay Kumar is envoy to Afghanistan
Senior diplomat Vinay Kumar has been appointed as India’s ambassador to strategically key Afghanistan, succeeding incumbent Manpreet Vohra.
- Mr. Kumar, a 1992 batch Indian Foreign Service officer, is currently serving as Joint Secretary (south) in the headquarters of the External Affairs Ministry.
- Mr. Kumar has served in various positions and has worked in India’s permanent mission to the United Nations in New York.
48. R Subrahmanyam appointed higher education secretary
Senior IAS officers R Subrahmanyam and Anil Gopishankar Mukim have been appointed as secretaries of Higher Education, and Mines Department respectively.
- Subrahmanyam, who is at present special secretary in Department of Higher Education, succeeds K K Sharma.
- Mukim, a 1985 batch IAS officer, is working in his cadre state Gujarat.
49. Armen Sarkisian Elected Next Armenian President
Armenia’s parliament on March 2 elected Armen Sarkisian as the country’s next president.
- Ninety lawmakers voted in favor of the 64-year-old Sarkisian, a former prime minister and currently the country’s ambassador to the United Kingdom.
- Sarkisian succeeds Serzh Sarkisian, who opposition leaders say could now become prime minister and continue to wield power.
Points to Remember
- Armenia is a country in the South Caucasus region of Eurasia.
- Yerevan is the Capital of Vietnam while Dram is the Currency.
50. SBI Life Insurance appoints Sanjeev Nautiyal as MD, CEO
Private life insurer SBI Life Insurance has appointed Sanjeev Nautiyal as the managing director and chief executive officer of the company for two years.
- The appointment is subject to regulatory approval.
- Nautiyal took over the post from Arijit Basu and was the chief general manager of State Bank of India (SBI)’s Ahmedabad circle until now.
- He had started his career as a probationary officer in SBI in 1985.
51. Conrad Sangma Will be the Next CM of Meghalaya
In Meghalaya, NPP chief Conrad K Sangma met Governor Ganga Prasad and submitted the letter of support from other parties.
- The swearing-in of Conard as the chief minister will take place on March 5.
- In Tripura, the government formation process is expected to be completed by March 10.
52. Hindu woman elected to Pakistan’s senate in historic first
Kirshna Kumari Kolhi from Pakistan’s Sindh province has become the first-ever Hindu Dalit woman Senator in pakistan.
- Kolhi, 39, from Thar is a member of Bilawal Bhutto Zardari-led Pakistan People s Party (PPP).
- She was elected on a minority seat from Sindh.
- Kolhi belongs to a remote village in Nagarparkar district of Thar in Sindh province.
53. Biplab Deb to be the new Tripura Chief Minister
Tripura BJP president and newly-elected MLA Biplab Kumar Deb was unanimously elected leader of the BJP legislature party in the state, Union minister Nitin Gadkari announced.
- Deb, whose name was proposed by party MLA Sudip Roy Burman in the meeting, will be the new chief minister of Tripura, Gadkari said.
- BJP MLA Jishnu Debbarma will be the deputy chief minister.
- Deb will stake claim to form government in the state before Governor Tathagata Roy.
54. Shatrughan Sinha wins lifetime achievement award in United Kingdom
Actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha has been honoured with a lifetime achievement award for his contribution to the fields of arts and politics at a ceremony in the UK’s Parliament complex in London.
- The annual ‘Political and Public Life Awards’, now in its 12th year, recognize individuals who have made a significant impact on public life or made a difference in their local communities.
- Sinha, who started his career as an actor in late 1960s, has to his credit over 225 Hindi feature films besides several in other Indian languages.
- A member of the ruling BJP, he represents Bihar state’s Patna Sahib Constituency in the Lok Sabha, the lower house of Parliament.
55. British Indian man wins bravery award in Barcelona terror attack
- An Indian-origin Birmingham man, Harry Athwal who risked his life to help a fatally injured young boy in the last year’s Barcelona terror attack, has been selected for this year’s ‘Pride of Birmingham’ award.
56. ‘The Shape of Water’ Wins Best Picture as Oscars Project Diversity
The 90th Academy Awards ceremony, presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), took place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California.
- The Shape of Water won a leading four awards, including Best Picture and Best Director for Guillermo del Toro.
The Complete List of Winners
- Best Picture: “The Shape of Water”
- Director: Guillermo del Toro, “The Shape of Water”
- Actor: Gary Oldman, “Darkest Hour”
- Actress: Frances McDormand, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
- Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
- Supporting Actress: Allison Janney, “I, Tonya”
- Original Screenplay: “Get Out”
- Adapted Screenplay: “Call Me by Your Name”
- Foreign Language Film: “A Fantastic Woman”
- Animated Feature: “Coco”
- Visual Effects: “Blade Runner 2049”
- Film Editing: “Dunkirk”
- Animated Short: “Dear Basketball”
- Live Action Short: “The Silent Child”
- Documentary Short: “Heaven Is a Traffic Jam on the 405”
- Score: “The Shape of Water”
- Song: “Remember Me” from “Coco”
- Production Design: “The Shape of Water”
- Cinematography: “Blade Runner 2049”
- Costume Design: “Phantom Thread”
- Makeup and Hairstyling: “Darkest Hour”
- Documentary Feature: “Icarus”
- Sound Editing: “Dunkirk”
57. Roger Federer named World Sportsman of the Year 2017
Twenty-time tennis grand slam champion Roger Federer has won the 2017 Laureus World Sportsman of the Year and Comeback of the Year awards.
- The 36-year-old Swiss won the Australian Open and Wimbledon titles in 2017 after nearly five years without a major.
- Serena Williams took the World Sportswoman of the Year award after winning her 23rd grand slam in 2017.
- Formula 1 constructors’ champions Mercedes picked up the Team of the Year accolade, and wheelchair athlete Marcel Hug won Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability.
58. Russia’s Olympic membership restored by International Olympic Committee
Russia’s Olympic membership has been restored by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) following its suspension from Pyeongchang 2018.
- Russia was banned from February’s Games by the IOC over state-sponsored doping.
- Despite the ban, 168 Russians competed as neutrals in South Korea, and two of them failed drugs tests.
59. Navjot Kaur Becomes First Indian Woman Wrestler to Win Asian Gold
Navjot Kaur scripted history on 2 March by becoming the first Indian woman wrestler to win a gold in the Senior Asian Championships.
- She clinched Gold in the 65kg freestyle category.
- Rio Olympics bronze medallist Sakshi Malik won a bronze in the 62kg freestyle category after getting the better of Kazakhstan’s Ayaulym Kassymova 10-7 in a tough fight.
- The two medals took India’s medal tally to six – a gold, a silver, and four bronze medals.
60. India beat Pakistan to win Snooker Team World Cup
The Indian combine of Pankaj Advani and Manan Chandra staged a remarkable recovery to beat Pakistan in the final of the inaugural IBSF Snooker Team World Cup.
- After being 0-2 down in the best-of-five final, India found themselves in a deeper hole at 0-30 down in the third frame, but won the next three sets to win the game.
61. Shooter Rizvi wins World Cup gold
Indian shooter Shahzar Rizvi created a new world record on his way to the gold medal in the men’s 10m air pistol event at the ISSF World Cup.
- Rizvi registered a world record score of 242.3 points in the final.
- The Indian beat reigning Olympic champion Christian Reitz of Germany, who had to settle for the silver.
- India’s Jitu Rai bagged the bronze with 219.
62. Viswanathan Anand wins Rapid event at Tal Memorial
Viswanathan Anand won the rapid event at the 11th Tal Memorial chess in Moscow.
- The World rapid champion finished the event with 6 points while Shakhriyar Mamedyarov (with 5 points) came second.
- The event is a 10-player single round-robin competition where players have 25 minutes to make all of their moves, and receive a 10-second increment from move 1.
63. Bhaker shoots gold, bronze for Ravi Kumar
Young Manu Bhaker clinched a gold medal while Ravi Kumar bagged a bronze in the ISSF World Cup in Guadalajara, Mexico.
- Bhaker beat the host country’s Alejandra Zavala, a two-time World Cup Finals winner, with a 10.8 in the last shot of the 24 shot final, to come out on top with a score of 237.5.
64. Noted Odia Bhajan singer Arabinda Muduli passes away
Noted Odia Bhajan singer Arabinda Muduli passed away following a cardiac arrest. He was 56.
- A musician, singer and lyricist, Muduli enthralled the audience with devotional songs and had won the hearts of millions of people in Odisha and elsewhere.
- Born on September 1, 1961 at Khanati in Khordha district, he was a devotee of lord Jagannath and sang only Bhajans.
- He was a disciple of legendary bhajan singer Bhikari Bal.
65. Literateur Prafulla Das passes away
Literateur Prafulla Das passed away at his residence at Rajkanika in Kendrapara district. He was 91.
- He was a recipient of the prestigious “Sarala Award” for his achievement in the literary field.
- ‘Banhimana’, the biography of freedom fighter Malati Chaudhury, brought him the Sarala Award in 2014.
66. Dr Jitendra Singh attended the social media launch of “Namaste Shalom”
The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh launched the social media of “Namaste Shalom”, a magazine devoted to India-Israel relations.
- The magazine is edited by former MP Shri Tarun Vijay.
- Israeli Ambassador to India, Mr. Daniel Carmon and other dignitaries were also present.