1. Tamil Nadu among nine global market leaders in renewables
A new research by US-based Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA) showed that nine major global power markets, including India’s Tamil Nadu, have achieved an outsize share of wind and solar generation.
- The report, ‘Power-Industry Transition, Here and Now’, includes case studies of markets — ranked by relative share of reliance on variable renewables — that include Denmark, South Australia, Uruguay, Germany, Ireland, Spain, Texas, California and the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
- Wind and solar accounted for 14.3 per cent of Tamil Nadu’s total electricity generation in 2016-17.
2. Ethiopia’s Prime Minister submits resignation after protests
Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn announced that he has submitted a resignation letter after the worst anti-government protests in a quarter-century.
- Ethiopia has been rocked by months of protests demanding wider freedoms that have left hundreds dead and tens of thousands detained.
- The protests have disrupted life and business in one of Africa’s fastest-growing economies.
3. MoU between Botanical Survey of India and Natural History Museum, UK
Botanical Survey of India (BSI) and Natural History Museum (NHM), UK signed a Memorandum of Understanding for cooperation in the field of genetic/taxonomic studies, research and training, conservation in India, including species and habitat conservation assessments, etc.
- NHM will help BSI in capacity building in areas of systematic botany and long-term conservation of plant genetic resources in India.
4. China’s Qingdao to host SCO summit in June
East China’s Qingdao City will host the Shanghai Cooperation Organization Summit in June this year.
- Shandong is the birthplace of many ancient Chinese thinkers, including Confucius. In 2017, its GDP exceeded 7.2 trillion yuan.
- The summit has China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, India and Pakistan as full members.
5. List of MoUs signed during the visit of President of Iran to India
President of Iran, Hassan Rouhani arrived in India on a three-day State visit. He has signed these MoUs with India:
- Agreement for the Avoidance of Double Taxation
- MoU on Exemption from Visa requirement for holders of Diplomatic Passports.
- Exchange of Instrument of Ratification of Extradition Treaty.
- Lease Contract for Shahid Beheshti Port- Phase 1 of Chabahar during Interim Period between Port and Maritime Organization (PMO), Iran and India Ports Global Limited (IPGL).
- MoU on Cooperation in the field of Traditional Systems of Medicine.
- MoU on the establishment of an Expert Group on Trade Remedy Measures to promote cooperation in areas of mutual interest.
- MoU on Cooperation in the field of Agriculture and Allied Sectors.
- MoU on Cooperation in the field of Health and Medicine.
- MoU on Postal Cooperation.
6. India’s defence budget breaks into world’s top 5: UK report
India’s defence budget broke into the world’s top five, beating the UK for the first time, a new report by a London-based global think-tank has said.
- India overtook the UK as the fifth-largest defence spender in the world in 2017 at $52.5 billion, up from $51.1 billion in 2016, according to the ‘Military Balance 2018’ report by the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS).
- In contrast, the UK’s defence budget fell from $52.5 billion in 2016 to $50.7 billion last year.
- World’s top five defence spenders are the US, China, Saudi Arabia, Russia and India.
7. J P Nadda addresses Global Digital Health Partnership Summit
“Information and Communication Technology (ICT) has great potential towards improvement of delivery of healthcare services. This was stated by Shri J P Nadda, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare during his address at Global Digital Health Partnership Summit, at Canberra, Australia.
- India is committed to reforms in health service delivery using ICT under Digital India Program of Government of India.”
- The Union Health Minister spoke on the topic: Making Digital Health Services a Priority in Healthcare Reform.
8. UK and India upgrade joint research on clean water and clean energy
UK-India research projects on ‘Water Quality Research’ and ‘Energy Demand Reduction in Built Environment’ were launched by Dr V K Saraswat, Member, National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog, Professor Ashutosh Sharma, Secretary, Department of Science and Technology (DST) India and Daniel Shah, Director, Research Councils UK (RCUK) India.
- The ‘Water Quality Research’ programme has eight projects and ‘Energy Demand Reduction in Built Environment’ programme has four projects, with a total joint investment of up to £15 million.
- These projects aim to deliver mutual benefits and research solutions not only to the UK and India but also to address shared global sustainable development goals – clean water and clean energy.
9. World Day of Social Justice: 20 February
Social Equality Justice day is observed every year on 20th February.
- It is a day recognizing the need to promote efforts to tackle issues such as poverty, exclusion and unemployment.
- The theme of World Day of Social Justice 2018 is “Workers on the Move: the Quest for Social Justice.”
10. Mandarin approved as official language of Pakistan
The Pakistani Senate has approved a motion to declare Mandarin as one of the official languages of Pakistan.
- The motion said the step was necessary in view of ties between Pakistan and China.
- Punjabi, which is widely spoken in Punjab province of Pakistan, Pashto and many other native languages have not been declared official languages of the country.
11. President inaugurates ‘Agricon 2018’ and ‘Agriexpo 2018’
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the international conference ‘Agricon 2018’ and ‘Agriexpo 2018’ at Chandrashekhar Azad University of Agriculture & Technology (CSAUT), Kanpur on February 14, 2018.
- Speaking on the occasion, the President said that in a country as vast as India, problems of farmers in different regions are different.
- We will have to find solutions according to their needs. Water is a common concern.
- In this regard, the Government has promoted the concept of “per drop, more crop” and this message should reach every farmer in the country.
12. Meghalaya Governor inaugurates India, Bangladesh ‘Friendship Gate’
Meghalaya Governor Ganga Prasad has inaugurated the “Friendship Gate” constructed with an aim to have a Wagah-like beating retreat ceremony for the Indian and Bangladesh border guards.
- The Friendship Gate has been constructed near Integrated Check post, 90 km South of capital Shillong on border with Bangladesh.
13. India’s 1st radio festival to be held in Delhi
India’s first radio festival was held in Delhi on February 15, 2018.
- The festival was organised by the International of Women in Radio and Television, in collaboration with UNESCO.
- The radio festival was held to mark World Radio Day 2018, which was on February 13.
14. Mumbai to host TiE Global Summit
The TiE Global Summit (TGS) will be held in Mumbai on February 21 and 22.
- Helmed by TiE Mumbai, the second edition of the summit will have over 2000 participants, including successful entrepreneurs, industry leaders, leading investors, senior corporate professionals and academia in attendance at the J W Marriott Sahar.
- The summit is being held in association with leading government agencies and over 20 TiE chapters across India, USA, Canada, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia and Dubai,with the aim of setting the tone for the next wave of business and innovation.
15. Prime Minister to inaugurate World Sustainable Development Summit 2018
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, will inaugurate the 2018 edition of the World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS 2018) at VigyanBhawan in the capital on 16thFebruary.
- WSDS is the flagship forum of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) and seeks to bring together on a common platform, global leaders and thinkers in the fields of sustainable development, energy and environment sectors.
- The theme of the Summit this year is ‘Partnerships for a Resilient Planet’.
- WSDS 2018 seeks to create action frameworks to resolve some of the most urgent challenges facing developing economies in the backdrop of climate change.
16. ISRO planning to launch Chandrayaan-2 mission around April this year
The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh said that Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning to launch Chandrayan-2 Mission around April this year.
- Chandrayaan-2 is the country’s second mission to the moon, he added.
- He was addressing a press conference on the achievements of Department of Space and Department of Atomic Energy.
- Chandraayan-2 is a challenging mission as for the first time we will carry an orbiter, a lander and a rover to the moon.
17. National Conference “Agriculture 2022- Doubling Farmers’ Income”
The Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare (MoA&FW) is organizing a National Conference under the title of “Agriculture 2022 – Doubling Farmers’ Income” at National Agriculture Science Complex (NASC), Pusa, New Delhi.
- It is a two days conference scheduled on 19th and 20th February, 2018.
- The Conference is being organized on the advice of the Hon’ble Prime Minister with a view to identify various critical issues relating to agriculture and farmers’ welfare and finding appropriate solutions.
- The main aim of the conference is to build a consensus around appropriate recommendations that will help in shaping and sharpening the vision of the Government on Doubling Farmers’ Income by 2022 into actionable points.
18. Mumbai to have India’s first artificial intelligence centre
In a first in the country, Maharashtra government will be setting up an institute for artificial intelligence (AI) in Mumbai.
- Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis will unveil the plan for the institute during the Magnetic Maharashtra Summit.
- The Magnetic Maharashtra Summit will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on February 18.
19. Modi govt to set up 562 more Ekalavya schools
The government will set up 562 more Ekalavya Model Residential School (EMRS) in tribal areas across the country that will be on par with the Navodaya Vidyalayas, Tribal Affairs minister Jual Oram said.
- Detailing about the budgetary provisions for budget 2018-19, Oram said 271 EMRSs have already been sanctioned out of which 190 are currently operational.
- The EMRS are planned under a government scheme for model residential school for Indian tribals (Scheduled Tribes) across India.
20. National Banana Festival, 2018 held in Thiruvananthapuram
The Union Agriculture & Farmers Welfare Minister, Shri Radha Mohan Singh addressed at the National Banana Festival, 2018 held in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- India is the largest producer of banana in the world with 29.7 million tonnes from an area of 0.88 million hectares with a productivity of 37 MT/ha.
- Although India accounts for only 15.5per cent in area, its contribution in the world’s production is 25.58per cent.
21. PM to Inaugurate the Fourth Container Terminal of JNPT
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will inaugurate the Fourth Container Terminal (FCT) of Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust in Mumbai.
- With this, JNPT will nearly double its container handling capacity .
- The new FCT will add a capacity of 24 lakh containers per year in Phase-I and after completion of Phase-II in 2022, the capacity of JNPT will be 100 lakh containers per year.
- The Fourth Container Terminal has been developed on Design, Built, Fund, Operate and Transfer (DBFOT) basis for a concession period of 30 years at an estimated cost of Rs. 7915 Crore.
- The project is being implemented in two Phases. i.e. Phase –I and Phase –II. The indicative cost of the project for Phase – I is Rs 4719 Crore. The foundation stone for the project was laid by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi in October 2015, and Phase I has been completed in record time.
22. PM Narendra Modi lays foundation stone of Navi Mumbai International Airport
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has laid the foundation stone of the New Mumbai International Airport.
- He performed the Bhumi Poojan ceremony for the upcoming airport.
- The prime minister highlighted the importance of transportation in the faster growth of the economy. He said that to keep with globalisation it is important to get top quality infrastructure.
- On Sagarmala project, he said it will help in ushering in port-led development.
23. PM Narendra Modi opens Rs 7,900-crore fourth terminal at JNPT
Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated the first phase of the Rs 7,900-crore 4th terminal project of the JNPT to the nation, which will raise the cargo handling capacity of the nation’s largest container port by 50 per cent.
- The fourth terminal project seeks to double JNPT’s capacity to nearly 10 million standard container units and will make it the 33rd biggest port globally.
- The nation’s largest port JNPT has a capacity of 4.8 million standard container units capacity now. On completion of the second phase by 2022, total capacity will go up to almost 10 million.
24. MP govt to host Khajuraho Dance Festival
Myriad forms of classical dance in India will be on dispaly at a festival beginning in Khajuraho from February 20.
- The week-long Khajuraho Dance Festival at the temple town in Chhatarpur district is being organised by the culture department of the Madhya Pradesh government.
- The February 20-26 festival will showcase classical dances including Kathak, Odissi, Bharatnatyam, Kuchipudi, Kathakali and Mohiniattam.
25. Magnetic Maharashtra investors summit inaugurated
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the Global Investors’ Summit at “Magnetic Maharashtra: Convergence 2018 at the MMRDA grounds at Mumbai’s Bandra Kurla Complex.
- This summit is Maharashtra’s first Global Investors Summit and is said to be on the lines of Make In India initiative by PM Modi.
- PM will next inaugurate the Wadhwani Institute for Artifical Intelligence at the University of Mumbai.
26. Goa Government Launches Motorcycle Ambulance Service
The Goa government has launched a motorcycle ambulance service to provide quick medical help to patients in need in the coastal state.
- Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar unveiled a batch of 20 two-wheeler ambulances which would be deputed in high risk areas like the coastal belt.
- These motorbikes will be equipped with medical facilities, including oxygen cylinders.
27. PM addresses at the World Conference on IT
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on February 19, addressed World Congress on Information Technology in Hyderabad via Video Conference.
- This event is being held in India for the first time.
- It has been organized in partnership with NASSCOM, WITSA and the Government of Telangana.
28. India to host World Environment Day
India will host the World Environment Day 2018, Union Environment Minister Harsh Vardhan and United Nations Environment Program chief Erik Solheim said.
- The theme for the World Environment Day-2018, held every year on June 5, is “Beat Plastic Pollution”.
- Canada hosted the event in 2017.
- Meanwhile, Harsh Vardhan also launched the first electric charging facility at the Lodhi Road UN office — the first ever in a UN office in India.
29. Prime Minister to inaugurate Uttar Pradesh Investor’s Summit in Lucknow
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate two–day Uttar Pradesh Investors’ Summit 2018 in Lucknow.
- While the PM will inaugurate the summit on February 21, President Ram Nath Kovind will be present at the closing ceremony.
- The event has been organized by Uttar Pradesh Government to showcase the investment opportunities and potential in the state.
- Seven nations – Finland, Netherlands, Japan, Czech Republic, Thailand, Slovakia and Mauritius have been identified as country partners for the event.
30. Cabinet approves creation of National Urban Housing Fund
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given approval for creation of National Urban Housing Fund (NUHF) for Rs.60,000 crores.
- This fund will be situated in Building Materials and Technology Promotion Council (BMTPC), an autonomous body registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 under the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- The Ministry has so far sanctioned 39.4 lakh houses under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban).
31. Cabinet approves Agreement between India and Israel on Film Co-production
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its ex-post facto approval to an Agreement on Film Co-production between India and Israel signed during the visit of Prime Minister of Israel Mr. Benjamin Netanyahu to India, in the presence of both the Prime Ministers in Hyderabad House in New Delhi on 15th January, 2018.
- Co-production of an Indian film with an international party means that Indian producer can access international funds and can collaborate on the script, talent and distribution at international level.
32. Varanasi to hold ‘Swachhagrah – Bapu ko Kaaryaanjali’
To celebrate the creative and cultural industries in Varanasi and to focus attention on the need for Swachhta by using cultural forms, a Sanskriti Mahotsav “Swachhagrah – Bapu ko Kaaryaanjali” is being organized on the 21st and 22nd February, 2018 at the Man Mandir Ghat and Assi Ghat in Varanasi.
- The Mahotsav will integrate the tangible and intangible heritage along the river-belt and will see the engagement of the academia, artists, artisans, writers, poets, environmental and cultural forums on the use of cultural expressions for conservation and protection of the river and the ancient city.
- The Swachhta drive will be steered by school-children affiliated to Ministry of Culture, Government of India’s Interpretation Centres through exhibitions, songs, puppetry, nukkad nataks and folk dances.
- The 2-day event would focus on performances on the theme of ‘Swachhagraha’ presented under the rubric of ‘Swachhagraha: Bapu ko Karyanjali’.
33. R.K. Singh inaugurates ‘International R&D Conclave’
Union Minister of State (IC) for Power and New & Renewable Energy, Shri R.K. Singh inaugurated the ‘International R&D Conclave’- two-day conference on Emerging Opportunities and Challenges of R&D in Indian Power Sector in New Delhi.
- It is being organised by Central Electricity Authority (CEA)
- In his address inaugural, Shri Singh stressed upon the need of a dedicated R&D department in CEA to coordinate the research in power sector.
34. PNB detects Rs 11,300 crore fraudulent transactions at Mumbai branch
State-run Punjab National Bank (PNB) said it had detected some “fraudulent and unauthorised” transactions worth about $1.77 billion (about Rs 11, 300 crore) at one of its branches in Mumbai.
- The bank said the transactions were for the benefit of a few select account holders with their apparent connivance.
- PNB, the country’s second-biggest state-run lender and fourth-biggest overall by assets, did not name the people involved.
35. Equitas Bank launches digital savings account
Equitas Small Finance Bank has introduced ‘selfeSavings’, an interactive digital savings account.
- This account can be opened with the web-based interactive video form by using Aadhaar number, PAN and other basic details.
- The new selfeSavings account has no minimum balance requirement.
- It pays an interest rate of 6 per cent per annum for balance below 10 lakh and 6.5 per cent for 10 lakh and above.
36. NDB to finance Rajasthan Water Sector Restructuring Project
The Loan Agreement for financing of Rajasthan Water Sector Restructuring Project for the Desert Areas was signed between Government of India and the New Development Bank (NDB) on 13th February 2018 at New Delhi.
- This is the first tranche loan of USD 100 million approved by the NDB under the Multi Tranche Financing Facility of USD 345 million for this project.
- The` objective of this Project is to rehabilitate the 678 km long Indira Gandhi Canal system built during 1958-63 to prevent seepage, conserve water, and enhance water use efficiency as mandated by both national and state level policies on water use.
37. Centre to change base year for GDP, IIP to 2017-18
The government will change the base year to 2017-18 for the calculation of GDP and IIP numbers while for retail inflation the year will be revised to 2018, Union minister D V Sadananda Gowda said.
- The statistics ministry has proposed the new base year for GDP and IIP as 2017-18 while for CPI it will be 2018.
- The Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MOSPI) has been allocated Rs 4,859 crore in the Union Budget 2018-19.
38. SBI launches Global NRI Centre in Kochi
The State Bank of India, which has a strong NRI customer base of over 33 lakh, has launched its Global NRI Centre (GNC) in Kochi.
- The GNC will be a one-stop customer service centre for all Non-Resident Indian (NRI) banking related services.
- To enhance the service experience of NRIs, the bank also launched other services such as Wealth Management, SBI Intelligent Assist, Free Post Box Service, SBI Mingle for NRIs and Remittance facility for US-based customers.
39. Milkbasket recognised as ‘Startup of the Year’ 2017
Milkbasket, India’s first and largest micro-delivery platform has been recognised as ‘Startup of the Year’ 2017 at the 7th Small Business Awards.
- The Startup of the Year award is dedicated to young SMEs, aged 7 years or less, with great potential to become big in local/international markets.
- Launched in early 2015, Milkbasket is India’s first and largest daily micro-delivery service.
40. TCS recognised as a global Top Employer for the third consecutive year
India’s largest IT services company TCS is recognised as world’s best employer by the Top Employer Institute for the third consecutive year.
- The Top Employer Institute, Amsterdam-based global certification company in employee conditions, selected TCS for its exceptional employee offerings from a pool of more than 1,300 companies in 113 countries.
- TCS picked up the latest Top Employer endorsement for 27 of its individual country teams across Europe, Asia Pacific, North America, Latin America and the Middle East.
41. Amazon Becomes World’s Third Most Valuable Company
Amazon’s market value surpassed Microsoft’s for the first time, making Amazon the world’s third most valuable company.
- Apple and Alphabet stand ahead of Amazon as the most valuable companies in the world.
- Microsoft, now ranked fourth, follows, ahead of Tencent and Facebook.
42. RBI sets up panel to probe PNB Fraud
In the wake of the Rs 11,300 crore fraud at the Punjab National Bank, the Reserve Bank of India has constituted a five member panel under former board member Y H Malegam
- The Panel will look into the wide divergence by banks in asset classification and provisioning and reasons for frauds.
43. BSNL signs pact with Japan’s NTT AT for futuristic tech, 5G test
State-owned telecom firm BSNL and Japan’s NTT AT along with their Indian partner Virgo Corps, have signed an agreement to collaborate in developing futuristic technologies such as artificial intelligence / IoT and jointly create a 5G test bed.
- The agreement is in line with the vision of the Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to collaborate on the next generation technologies.
44. Chandrashekhara Kambara elected Sahitya Akademi president
Kannada writer and Jnanpith awardee Chandrashekhara Kambara has been elected president of Sahitya Akademi, defeating his nearest rival, Odiya novelist and another Jnanpith recipient Pratibha Ray, by 27 votes.
- Ray secured 29 votes as against Kambara’s 56, while the third candidate, Marathi writer Bhalchandra Nemade, got four votes.
- Kambara has served as a member of Sahitya Akademi’s executive board for more than 10 years and has been its vice-president since 2013.
45. Ashok Das appointed next Ambassador of India to Brazil
Shri Ashok Das (IFS: 1987) has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Federative Republic of Brazil.
- He is expected to take up his assignment shortly. He is presently Additional Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs.
46. Jacob Zuma quits as South African president
Jacob Zuma resigned as President of South Africa, reluctantly heeding orders by the ruling African National Congress (ANC) to bring an end to his nine scandal-plagued years in power.
- Cyril Ramaphosa is likely to sworn in as the new president.
- South Africa, officially the Republic of South Africa (RSA), is the southernmost country in Africa.
- Capital: Pretoria (executive), Bloemfontein (judicial), Cape Town (legislative)
- Currency: Rand.
- South Africa is one of the members of BRICS group.
47. K P Sharma Oli becomes Nepal PM for second time
CPN-UML chairperson K P Sharma Oli has become Nepal’s Prime Minister for the second time.
- President Bidhya Devi Bhandari appointed 65-year-old Oli as the country’s 41st prime minister.
- Oli, who is known for his pro-China stance, had served as the country’s prime minister from October 11, 2015 to August 3, 2016.
- Earlier, former prime minister Sher Bahadur Deuba had addressed the nation and submitted his resignation to the president.
48. Cyril Ramaphosa elected President of South Africa
Cyril Ramaphosa has been elected as South Africa’s new president by ruling party legislators after the resignation of Jacob Zuma.
- Mr. Ramaphosa was the only candidate nominated for election in the parliament after two opposition parties said they would not participate.
- Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng presided over the parliamentary election.
49. Archaeologist Arvind Jamkhedkar to head ICHR
Archaeologist and historian Arvind P. Jamkhedkar will be the next Chairman of the Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR).
- He will replace Prof. K. Sudershan Rao, whose term as ICHR chief was mired in controversy.
- The post fell vacant after Prof. Rao’s retirement. Prof. Jamkhedkar is at present Chancellor of Deccan College, Pune.
50. Haruhiko Kuroda reappointed as Bank of Japan chief
Japan’s government has reappointed Bank of Japan Governor Haruhiko Kuroda for another term and chose Masazumi Wakatabe as his deputies.
- The selection of the new BOJ leadership comes at a crucial time for Japanese and global markets, which have been rattled in recent weeks.
51. Govt appoints two new EDs in banks
Debashish Mukherjee and Murali Ramaswami have been appointed executive directors of Canara Bank and Vijaya Bank respectively, according to an official order.
- Mukherjee is at present the general manager of United Bank of India and Ramaswami is the GM of Vijaya Bank.
- Mukherjee’s appointment is initially for three years but it is extendable by two years after review of his performance, the order issued by personnel ministry said.
52. Aadhaar awarded as the ‘Best Emerging Technology’
India’s Aadhaar and Umang App have won awards at recently concluded World Government Summit 2018 in Dubai.
- Umang App won in Best m-Government Service Award for Accessible Government Category and Aadhaar won in the Best Government Emerging Technologies Award.
- The awards were presented by Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior of UAE Sheikh Saif bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
53. Sanjiv Bajaj is the EY Entrepreneur of the Year 2017
Sanjiv Bajaj, Managing Director, Bajaj Finserv, has been named the Earnest Young’s Entrepreneur of the Year 2017.
- Dr. E Sreedharan was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award for transforming the face of public transportation in India.
54. Indian engineer awarded sci-tech Oscar Award
Vikas Sathaye, a Pune-born person has been honoured with the Scientific and Engineering Academy Award at the Oscars Scientific and Technical Awards 2018.
- Sathaye and his team received the award for his contribution towards conceptualisation, designing, engineering, and the implementation of the ‘Shotover K1 Camera System’.
- The Shotover K1 Camera System is a camera mount that is used in aerial filming.
55. Ex-President Pranab Mukherjee to get honorary D.Litt from IIEST
Former President Pranab Mukherjee will be conferred an honorary D.Litt by the Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology (IIEST).
- Mukherjee will be conferred the honour during IIEST convocation on March 4 for his role as a public figure for many decades.
- IIEST is in Howrah district’s Shibpur. Mukherjee was awarded an honorary D.Litt by Jadavpur University in December last year.
56. BAFTA Awards 2018: Full winners list
The 71st British Academy Film Awards were presented on 18 February. Below is the full list of with winners.
- Best Film: “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
- Outstanding British Film: “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
- Outstanding Debut By A British Writer, Director Or Producer : “I Am Not A Witch”
- Film Not In The English Language: “The Handmaiden”
- Documentary: “I Am Not Your Negro”
- Animated Film: “Coco”
- Director: “The Shape Of Water,” Guillermo Del Toro
- Original Screenplay: “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” Martin Mcdonagh
- Leading Actress: “Frances Mcdormand, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
- Leading Actor: Gary Oldman, “Darkest Hour”
- Supporting Actress: Allison Janney, “I, Tonya”
- Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
- Original Music : “The Shape Of Water”
- EE Rising Star Award (voted for by the public): Daniel Kaluuya
57. Rahane, Rohit Sharma awarded Shiv Chhatrapati State Sports Awards
Indian cricket team members Ajinkya Rahane and Rohit Sharma have both been awarded Shiv Chhatrapati State Sports Awards by the Government of Maharashtra.
- Former India cricketer and assistant coach of Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Delhi Daredevils Pravin Amre was awarded Coach of the Year for the 2016-17.
58. Tamil Nadu win maiden senior national football championship
Tamil Nadu beat Manipur 2-1 to lift their maiden title in the 23rd edition of the Senior Women’s National Football Championship in Cuttack.
- Tamil Nadu created history by becoming champions in their first-ever final with Indumathi scoring the opener in the 3rd minute while Indrani made it 2-0 in the 40th minute.
59. Federer becomes oldest ATP World No.1
Roger Federer added yet another record to his vast collection when he become the oldest ATP world number one by beating Dutchman Robin Haase 4-6 6-1 6-1 to reach the semi-finals in Rotterdam.
- Federer took a wildcard into the ABN AMRO World Tennis event with his eyes fixed on a return to number one for the first time since November 2012.
60. Roger Federer beats Grigor Dimitrov to win Rotterdam Open title
Roger Federer marked his impending return to the top of the world rankings by sweeping aside second seed Grigor Dimitrov in the Rotterdam Open final.
- The 20-time Grand Slam champion beat world number five Dimitrov 6-2-6-2 comfortably in 55 minutes for his 97th title.
61. Manavaditya Rathore wins silver shotgun meet
The promising Manavaditya Singh Rathore has won a silver medal in the Qatar Open Shotgun meet in Lusail, Qatar.
- Participating in the junior men’s trap event, Manavaditya shot 118 to finish second on the podium behind Italy’s Angelo Scalzone, who shot 119.
- Germany’s Jeremy Schulz won the bronze medal with a score of 115.
62. Former Union minister Bolla Bulliramaiah dies
Former Union minister and veteran TDP leader Bolla Bulliramaiah died of old age-related illness. He was 92.
- Bulliramaiah, who was known as a genial person, joined the TDP during its inception and became an MP in 1984.
- He was elected to the Lok Sabha from the Eluru constituency in 1991, 1996 and 1999 and served as the Union minister of state for commerce during 1996-98 in the United Front government.
63. Long-serving former Dutch prime minister dies aged 78
The long-serving Dutch prime minister Ruud Lubbers, who led the Netherlands from 1982 to 1994, has died at the age of 78.
- Mr Lubbers had the longest tenure of any prime minister in the country’s history, and guided the Netherlands through economic turmoil to prosperity.
- Mr Lubbers headed a conservative administration from 1982 to 1994.
64. Telugu actor Gundu Hanumantha Rao passes away
Well-known Telugu cinema comedian Gundu Hanumantha Rao passed away on February 19 in Hyderabad. He was 61.
- Born in Vijayawada on October 10, 1956 in a middle class family, Mr. Rao dabbled with theatre from a young age.
- The first role he essayed on stage was in a play called Ravana Brahma in Vijayawada.
65. Padma Vibhushan cardiologist BK Goyal passes away
BK Goyal, renowned cardiologist and Honorary Dean of the Bombay Hospital, passed away in Mumbai’s Breach Candy Hospital. He was 82.
- He was awarded the Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan and Padma Vibhushan by the Government of India.
- The Jaipur-born doctor authored a book, Heart Talk, besides having more than 50 publications in various Indian and globally recognized journals.
- In 2012, the All India Medical Council proposed his name for the post of President of India.