Today’s article, ‘Taking stock’ has been picked from ‘The Indian Express’
Challenging Words in the Article –
1) Ephemeral (verb) (अल्पकालिक) : ep-hem-ral
Meaning – lasting for a very short time.
Synonyms – transitory, transient, fleeting, passing, momentary
Antonyms – Permanent, Eternal, endless, lasting
Example – Fashions are ephemeral, new trends regularly drive out the old.
2) Envisage (verb) (परिकल्पना) : en-vis-age
Meaning – contemplate or conceive of as a possibility or a desirable future event.
Synonyms – foresee, predict, forecast, foretell
Antonyms – disregard, ignore
Example –You cannot envisage what the circumstances will be in twenty years’ time.
3) Grappling (verb) (जूझना) : grapp-ling
Meaning – Engage in a close fight or struggle without weapons
Synonyms – wrestle, struggle, tussle
Antonyms – Agree, avoid, dodge
Example – Today, many Indians in America are still grappling with the issue of race.
4) Soar (verb) (ऊंची उड़ान भरना,इज़ाफ़ा होना) : soar-ing
Meaning – increase rapidly above the usual level.
Synonyms – shoot up, escalate, fly up
Antonyms – fall, plummet, dwindle
Example – The cost of living continued to soar in the metro cities.
5) Stray (verb) (भटकना) : Stray-ing
Meaning –Move away aimlessly from a group or from the right course or place.
Synonyms – wander off, go astray, drift, get separated
Antonyms – remain, stay
Example – The military arrested anyone who strayed into the exclusion zone’
6) Squeeze (verb) (दबाव, हानिकारक प्रभाव होना) : es-queze
Meaning –(especially in a financial or commercial context)have a damaging or restricting effect on.
Synonyms – Force, compress, press, crush, squash
Antonyms – powerlessness, release, weakness, opening
Example – The economy is being squeezed by foreign debt repayments.
7) Populism (verb) (लोकलुभावनवाद) : popu-lism
Meaning – support for the concerns of ordinary people
Example – The French Revolution against the monarchy was an act of populism, the French citizens saw great injustice and came together as a group to fight against the King.
8) Round the corner (verb) (बहुत निकट) : Ja-ring
Meaning – very near
Synonyms – close by, nearby, next to
Antonyms – far, distant, remote
Example –As it is the month of March, summers are just round the corner.
9) Altar (verb) (बलिवेदी) : al-tar
Meaning – Make someone or something suffer in the interests of.
Synonyms – trouble, difficulty, disaster
Antonyms – ease, delight
Example – No businessman is going to sacrifice his company on the altar of such altruism.
Now that you have read the words and the editorial, it is time to test your English writing ability. Make sentences with the words given below and write in Comments Section which will be reviewed by us.
Word of the Day
- Globetrotter (Noun) – देश विदेश भ्रमण करने वाला
- Meaning – someone who often travels to a lot of different countries
- Synonyms: world traveler, traveller, explorer, tourist
- Antonyms – local, stayer
- Example (English) –Leading airlines have announced discounts on ticket rates to lure the Indian globetrotters.
- Example (Hindi) – प्रमुख विमान कंपनियों ने देश विदेश भ्रमण करने वाले भारतीयों को लुभाने के लिए टिकट दरों पर छूट की घोषणा की है।
All the best for your exams