Today’s article, ‘On a new keel: Netanyahu’s visit to India‘ has been picked from ‘The Hindu’
Challenging Words in the Article –
1) Jarring (verb) (अप्रत्याशित) : Ja-ring
Meaning – incongruous in a striking or shocking way , causing a strong emotional reaction because of unexpectedness
Synonyms – flabbergasting, surprising, unannounced, unanticipated, unexpected, shocking, startling
Antonyms – common, customary, mundane, normal, ordinary
Example – Since the teacher suspended ten students in one day, this jarring action from the administration made all the other students worry who were involved in ragging.
2) Hobble (verb)(बंधन ): hob-ul
Meaning – limit the activity or development of something.
Synonyms – restrict, control
Antonyms – Run, move, accelerate
Example – She is sometimes hobbled by self-doubt.
3) Chunk (noun) (टुकड़ा): chunk
Meaning – a significant amount of, a thick, solid piece of something.
Synonyms – portion, block, cold , part
Antonyms – Whole, all, entire
Example -A man was killed when a chunk of cement from a building fell on him during the earthquake.
4) Contend (verb) (संघर्ष करना) : kun-tend
Meaning – to argue or challenge
Synonyms – complete, grapple with, deal with.
Antonyms – Collaborate, surrender, give up
Example – After the call was made against his team, the coach tried to contend with the stubborn referee.
5) Pragmatic (adjective) (व्यावहारिक): prag-mat-ik
Meaning –concentrating on practical results and facts instead of speculation and opinion
Synonyms – empirical, realistic/actual, practical.
Antonyms – impractical, unrealistic, idealistic
Example – The scientist had a pragmatic approach to dealing with the water crisis.
6) Inflate (verb) (हवा भरना , बढाना): in-fleyt
Meaning – increase (something) by a large or excessive amount.
Synonyms – increase, rise, escalate
Antonyms – deflate, shrink, compress
Example –The promotion of a big release can inflate a film’s final cost.
7) Imperative (noun) ( अनिवार्य): im-per-uh-tiv
Meaning – of vital importance; crucial.
Synonyms – necessary condition, requisite/requirement, necessity.
Antonyms – needless, non-essential
Example – If you’re serious about getting healthy, it’s imperative that you follow a healthy lifestyle, make the right food choices, and exercise regularly.
8) Endanger (verb)(जोखिम में डालना): en-deyn-jeyr
Meaning – put (someone or something) at risk or in danger.
Synonyms – imperil, jeopardize, risk.
Antonyms – guard, assist, protect
Example -Raising taxes at this time could endanger this slow recovery of the economy.
9) Substandard (adjective) (रद्दी ) : suhb-stan-derd
Meaning – on a lower level than the average level
Synonyms – inferior, second-rate, low-quality.
Antonyms – awesome, wonderful, excellent
Example: Since the quality of the restaurant’s food was substandard, Riya certainly didn’t recommend it to anyone.
Now that you have read the words and the editorial, it is time to test your English writing ability. Make sentences with the words given below and write in Comments Section which will be reviewed by us.
Word of the Day
- Equanimity (Noun) – धीरज
- Meaning – mental calmness, composure, and evenness of temper, especially in a difficult situation:
- Synonyms: Coolness, Patience, imperturbability, placidity, repose,
- Antonyms – Agitation, discomposure, anxiety , worry
- Example (English) –I have tried to bear that with a degree of equanimity and dignity.
- Example (Hindi) – मैंने उसे धीरज और आत्म-सम्मान के साथ सहन करने की कोशिश की है।
All the best for your exams