Today’s article, ‘ Scam, or folklore? on 2G case verdict ‘ has been picked from ‘The Hindu’
This article talks about the recent verdict given on the 2G case and questions the political and investigative narratives of the past decade related to s2G scam matter.
Challenging Words in the Article –
1) Folklore (Noun) – (लोक–साहित्य) – folk-fore
Meaning – the traditional beliefs, customs, and stories of a community, passed through the generations by word of mouth.
Synonyms – mythology, lore, oral history, tradition, folk tradition
Antonyms – fact, truth
Example – The native folklore and poetry of the Albanians can hardly compare with that of the neighbouring nations in originality and beauty.
2) Pegging (Verb) – (किसी खास कीमत पर तय करना) – peg-ging
Meaning – fix (a price, rate, or amount) at a particular level.
Synonyms – hold down, keep down, fix, set, hold,
Antonyms – change
Example – Shopkeepers decided to peg their prices.
3) Arraign (Verb) (अपराधी ठहराना) – er-eyn
Meaning – call or bring (someone) before a court to answer a criminal charge.
Synonyms – indict, prosecute, put on trial, bring to trial; denounce, sue, take to court
Antonyms – discharge, acquit
Example – Her sister was arraigned on charges of attempted murder.
4) Adduce (Verb)– (प्रस्तुत करना) – ad-duce
Meaning – cite as evidence.
Synonyms – cite, present, allege
Antonyms – hide, confiscate
Example – During the trial, the defence attorney will adduce evidence to show the defendant’s innocence.
5) Beset (Verb) (नाक में दम करना) – bih-set
Meaning – trouble someone or something persistently
Synonyms – plague, bedevil, attack, assail, beleaguer, afflict, torment, torture , harass
Antonyms – defend, protect
Example – The expectant mother was beset with a new set of anxieties every time she heard some of her friends’ stories about childbirth.
6) Notional (Adjective) – (भाववाचक) – noh-shuh-nl
Meaning – existing as or based on a suggestion, estimate, or theory; not existing in reality.
Synonyms – imaginary, abstract, conceptual
Antonyms – real, actual
Example – The notional earnings of the company were close to the actual ones.
7) Vindicate (Verb) (साबित करना) – vin-di-keyt
Meaning – clear (someone) of blame or suspicion
Synonyms – acquit, clear, absolve, free from blame, declare innocent, exonerate
Antonyms – accuse, blame
Example – Although the new evidence seems to vindicate the defendant of the breaking and entering charges, there is still the matter of the assault.
8) Diligent (Adjective) (परिश्रमी) – dil-i-jent
Meaning – having or showing care and conscientiousness in one’s work or duties.
Synonyms – industrious, hard-working, assiduous
Antonyms – lazy, inactive
Example – The teacher believes the diligent students will check their answers.
9) Contention (Noun)– (विवाद) – kun-ten-shun
Meaning – heated disagreement.
Synonyms – disagreement, dispute, disputation, argument, variance
Antonyms – agreement, friendship
Example – During the town meeting, the subject of pay raises for the city council caused contention between the residents and council members.
10) Prosecution (Noun) (अभियोग) – pros-i-kyoo-shun
Meaning – the institution and conducting of legal proceedings against someone in respect of a criminal charge.
Synonyms – accusation, arraignment
Antonyms – defence, demurrer
Example – Prosecution of the defendant will be difficult since the evidence against him is all circumstantial.
Word of The Day
- Tumultuous(Noun) – उथल-पुथल
- Meaning –involving a lot of violence, confusion, loudness or disorder
- Synonyms – Turbulence , wild , noisy
- Antonyms – peaceful , calm , orderly
- Example (English) – The president said later in a telephone interview with The Associated Press, “We’re passing through a tumultuous economic period.”
- Example (Hindi) –एसोसिएटेड प्रेस को बाद में टेलीफोन पर दिए गए साक्षात्कार में राष्ट्रपति ने कहा, “हम आर्थिक उथल-पुथल के दौर से गुज़र रहे हैं”।
Given below are some words to check your vocabulary? Make sentences with those words in the comment section which will be reviewed by us :