Today’s article, ‘ Wait and watch: on U.S. security strategy’ has been picked from ‘The Hindu’
This article talks about the announcement of the National Security Strategy (NSS) by United States President Donald Trump for his country and discusses what should be India’s approach and strategy regarding this.
Challenging Words in the Article –
1) Cogent (Adjective) – (ठोस) – koh-jent
Meaning – clear, logical, and convincing, very clear and easy for the mind to accept and believe
Synonyms – convincing, compelling, strong, forceful, powerful, potent, weighty
Antonyms – vague, unconvincing, muddled
Example – Because the child was so young, I worked hard to give her cogent answers to her questions.
2) Reek (Verb) – (दुर्गंध आना) – ri-eek
Meaning – to have or give off a strong, unpleasant smell
Synonyms – stink, smell, smell bad/disgusting
Antonyms – aroma, perfume, fragrance
Example – The kitchen began to reek because he neglected to take out the garbage.
3) Wary (adjective) (सावधान) – war-ee
Meaning – feeling or showing caution about possible dangers or problems
Synonyms – cautious, careful, circumspect, guarded, careful
Antonyms – unwary, inattentive, trustful
Example – Fluffy gave her owners a wary look when they walked in the door with a new puppy.
4) Clinch (Noun)– (कड़ी) – kl-inch
Meaning –confirm or settle (a contract or bargain),
Synonyms – embrace, hug, hold, clasp
Antonyms – lose, unlock, unfasten
Example – The smart businessman wanted to impress the foreign clients to clinch a business deal.
5) Unequivocally (Adverb) (स्पष्ट) – un-ek-wiv-ok-al-lee
Meaning – in a way that leaves no doubt.
Synonyms – unambiguous, unmistakable, indisputable, incontrovertible, indubitable
Antonyms – equivocal, ambiguous, vague
Example – We unequivocally condemn any violence in the protest.
6) Stature (Noun) (महानता, क़द) – stach-er
Meaning – a level of prestige earned for a deed or achievement
Synonyms – reputation, repute, standing, status, position, prestige, distinction
Antonyms – unimportance, insignificance
Example – As a five-time Grammy winner, Aretha has a huge stature in the music community.
7) Dismissive (Adjective) (खारिज) – dis-mis-iv
Meaning – showing disregard, indicating rejection
Synonyms – contemptuous, disdainful, scornful, sneering, snide, scathing, disparaging, negative, unenthusiastic,
Antonyms – admiring, interested
Example – I realized I was not going to get the role when the director was dismissive during my audition.
8) Articulation (Noun) ( अभिव्यक्ति) – ar-tik-ou-ley-shun
Meaning – the act of putting into words an idea or feeling of a specified type.
Synonyms – mispronunciation, disconnection, buzz
Antonyms – denyingly, barredly , blocking
Example – Articulation of a problem helps in efficiently solving it.
9) Pact (Noun)– (संधि) – pa-act
Meaning – a formal agreement
Synonyms – agreement, treaty, entente, protocol, deal, contract, settlement, arrangement, bargain, compact,
Antonyms – disagreement, conflict, disagree
Example – The neighbors made a pact to keep an eye on each other’s houses to maintain a safe neighbourhood.
10) At Odds (Phrase) (प्रतिकूल, अंतर पर) – at- odz
Meaning – in disagreement; quarrelling
Synonyms – in conflict, in disagreement, on bad terms, at cross purposes, at loggerheads, quarrelling, arguing, clashing
Antonyms – in agreement, compatible, on good terms
Example – An adviser said there was no reason why the two countries should remain at odds.
Word of The Day
- Satiate (Verb) – तृप्त करना
- Meaning – fill to satisfaction
- Synonyms – sate, satisfy, glut, quench, gorge
- Antonyms – deprive, insatiate, bereave, starve
- Example (English) – Amitabh Bachchan feels that satiating his creativity as an artiste is more important than money.
- Example (Hindi) – अमिताभ बच्चन मानते है कि एक कलाकार के रूप में अपनी रचनात्मकता को तृप्त करना पैसे से अधिक महत्वपूर्ण है।
Now try to answer the following questions which are based on the given passage –
- What are the ways to realise a tough U.S. security strategy as mentioned in the passage ?
- According to the author in which concerns , India should be mindful ?
Given below are some words to check your vocabulary? Make sentences with those words in the comment section which will be reviewed by us :