Today’s article, ‘Speedy, decisive: on trial courts awarding death penalty‘ has been picked from ‘The Hindu’
This article talks about the current scenario of trial courts in India and says that trial courts seem to be under pressure to give maximum punishment to the guilty.
Challenging Words in the Article –
1) Perfunctory (Adjective) – (बेपरवाह) – per-fuhngk-ter-ee
Meaning – done routinely and with little interest or care
Synonyms – cursory, desultory, uninterested, careless, half-hearted
Antonyms – attentive , careful ,prudent
Example – The actress gave a perfunctory smile to the media persons.
2) Perpetrator(Noun) ( अपराधी) – per-pet-ray-turs
Meaning – one who performs a crime or offence
Synonyms – culprit ,offender, criminal
Antonyms – victim, sufferer
Example – Police is trying very hard to locate the perpetrator who killed the little girl.
3) Bestow (verb) ( प्रदान करना) – bih-stoh
Meaning – to give as a tribute or gift
Synonyms – confer on, present to, award to, give, grant
Antonyms – deprive ,take, cover
Example – During the ceremony, the prime minister will bestow medals of honor to the brave soldiers who rescued their comrades.
4) Fortitude (noun)– (धैर्य) – for-ti-tude
Meaning – strength of mind that enables a person to face challenges with courage
Synonyms – courage, spirit, firmness , strong-mindedness, resilience
Antonyms – cowardice ,weakness ,laziness
Example – Most successful businessmen are not afraid to show fortitude when they face failure.
5) Condign (noun) (लायक़) – kan-dayn
Meaning – (of punishment or retribution) appropriate to the crime or wrongdoing; fitting and deserved.
Synonyms – fair , deserved
Antonyms – inapposite,undeserved , undue , unlawful
Example – The principle of karma is that one gets what is condign for what they give.
6) Tardy (adjective) (मंद, सुस्त) – tahr-dee
Meaning – late to a specific event or delayed beyond the expected time
Synonyms – late , overdue careless
Antonyms – Punctual ,Early ,prompt
Example – Because the point of an interview is to make a good impression on a potential employer, you should never be tardy.
7) Cynical (adverb) (निंदक,मानवद्वेषी) – sin-i-kal
Meaning – believing that people are motivated purely by self-interest; distrustful of human nature and motives
Synonyms – sceptical, doubtful, distrustful, suspicious
Example – Because Riya is such a cynical person, she has very few friends.
8) Ruthless (verb) (क्रूर) – rooth-lis
Meaning – having or showing no pity or compassion for others.
Synonyms – cold-hearted , merciless, pitiless, cruel
Antonyms – kindhearted , merciful ,calm,compassionate
Example – The dictator is ruthless and will kill anyone who challenges his authority.
9) Discomfit (noun) (असुविधाजनक महसूस कराना) – dis-com-fitting
Meaning – to make a person feel uncomfortable
Synonyms – embarrass, abash, disconcert, nonplus, discompose
Antonyms – yield,calm, comfort, soothe , console
Example – The tricky question about his finances and property discomfited the minister.
10) Slain (verb) (मार डालना) – sleyn
Meaning – to kill in a violent manner , past participle of slay
Synonyms – kill, murder,butcher, slaughter, massacre,
Example – A memorial was held at the airport at which the fireman was slain during the attack.
Word of The Day
- Flummoxed (Adjective) – भौंचक्का
- Meaning – bewildered or perplexed
- Synonyms – baffle, bewildered, mystify, bemuse, perplex, astounded
- Antonyms – enlightened, explained
- Example(English) – Congress leader Shashi Tharoor’s extensive vocabulary has often made his Twitter followers flummoxed.
- Example (Hindi ) – कांग्रेस नेता शशि थरूर की व्यापक शब्दावली उनके ट्विटर अनुयायियों को अक्सर भौंचक्का कर देती है।
Given below are some words to check your vocabulary? Make sentences with those words in the comment section which will be reviewed by us :