Today’s article, ‘Revival risks: On economy woes‘ has been picked from ‘The Hindu’
This article talks about the Indian Economy and says that with prices rising and manufacturing slowing ,the economy is still not out of the danger and the central govenment should take steps for the sustained revival of the economy.
Challenging Words in the Article –
1) Stagnant (adjective) – (ठहरा हुआ) – stag-nant
Meaning – not moving or increasing
Synonyms – inactive, sluggish, slow-moving/static.
Antonyms – Dynamic ,active , moving
Example – Because he needs more money and his current salary has been stagnant for three years, he is looking for a new job.
2) Gloom (noun) ( उदासी) – glum
Meaning – a poorly lit and hard to see through
Synonyms – despondency, depression, dispiritedness.
Antonyms – Joy , happiness , cheer
Example – The gloom of the empty house made it impossible to see through the windows and caused many to think it was haunted.
3) Spectre (noun) ( काली छाया) – spec-tar
Meaning – something widely feared as a possible unpleasant or dangerous occurrence.
Synonyms – threat, menace, danger/peril.
Example – The recession is again raising the spectre of unemployment.
4) Wane (verb) – (पतन) – vane
Meaning – to gradually decrease in value or intensity
Synonyms – decline, decrease, disappear.
Antonyms – enlarge ,increase , strengthen
Example – Because the singer believed her number of fans was starting to wane, she created social media accounts to increase her fan base.
5) Dispel (verb) (दूर हो जाना) – dis-pel
Meaning – to cause to depart or be broken apart
Synonyms – banish, eliminate, dismiss.
Antonyms – accumulate , assemble , congregate
Example – When the president made his speech about the state of the country’s security, he hoped his words would dispel public fears.
6) Pall (noun) (कष्ट देना) -pall
Meaning – a thing or person that makes something depressing or dismal
Synonyms – covering, veil, layer; envelop in (gloom).
Antonyms – Brighten , excite
Example – A pall of grief silenced the students when the principal’s death was announced.
7) Woes (noun) (संकट) – wu-s
Meaning – grief or sorrow
Synonyms – trouble, difficulty, problem.
Antonyms – blessing , joy , cheerfulness
Example – Although the movie was supposed to be a comedy, it was filled with woe and made me cry.
8) Dent (verb) (कम होना) – den-t
Meaning – a reduction in amount or size.
Synonyms – diminish, reduce, lessen.
Antonyms – increase , boost , amplify
Example – The new government has barely made a dent in the poverty rate of the country.
Word of The Day
- Predator (Noun) – परभक्षी
- Meaning -an animal that naturally preys on others
- Synonyms – hunter, carnivore, vulture, beast of prey
- Antonyms – prey, herbivore
- Example(English) – The submarine INS Kalvari is named after the dreaded tiger shark, a deadly deep sea predator of the Indian Ocean.
- Example (Hindi ) – पनडुब्बी आईएनएस कलवरी का नाम खतरनाक टाइगर शार्क पर रखा गया है, जो की हिंद महासागर के गहरे समुद्र का एक प्राणघातक परभक्षी है।
Given below are some words to check your vocabulary? Make sentences with those words in the comment section which will be reviewed by us :