Good Morning Readers!
Today’s article, ‘In an elite club: On India’s Wassenaar entry‘ has been picked from ‘The Hindu’
This article talks about India’s entry as the 42nd participating member in Wassenaar Arrangement which is a multilateral export control regime. The article considers this a big achievement for India and says that Wassenaar Arrangement will set India deeper in the global non-proliferation architecture and also it will enable access to critical technologies in the defence and space sectors.
Challenging Words in the Article –
1) Chaperone (noun, verb) – (संरक्षक) – shap-er-ohn
Meaning – a person who accompanies and looks after another person or group of people (Noun) , to watch and ensure the safety of another individual (Verb)
Synonyms – companion, protector, bodyguard.
Antonyms – ignore, neglect, enemy
Example – When we go outside, our elder sister always chaperones us to ensure our wellness.
2) Fastidious (adjective) ( तुनक मिजाज , नकचढ़ा) – fas-tid-i-ous
Meaning – concerned about accuracy and detail; hard to please
Synonyms – punctilious, painstaking, meticulous.
Antonyms – undemanding, unfussy, easygoing
Example – His mother is a fastidious woman who always has a complaint on her lips.
3) Insurmountable (adjective) – (दुर्गम) – in-sur-mount-able
Meaning– incapable of being passed over or overcome
Synonyms – unconquerable, unassailable, unbeatable.
Antonyms – surmountable, attainable, conquerable
Example –Miracle happens when you do not give up inspite of the insurmountable odds.
4) Credentials (noun) (साख) – Kre-den-si-als
Meaning – attributes that show a person’s or organization’s experience, skill, achievement, or value
Synonyms – experience, record/achievement, quality.
Example – The man’s credentials label him as a millionaire despite his untidy appearance.
5) Forge (verb) (बनाना) – for-ge
Meaning – to form or create something new
Synonyms – build, form, create.
Antonyms – destroy, eradicate, remain
Example –The President is determined to forge a new relationship with the Chinese Premier in order to improve trade between the two nations.
6) Botched (adjective) (Verb) (असफल) – boch-ed
Meaning – carry out (a task) badly or carelessly.
Synonyms – bungled, marred , blundered
Example – Everyone complained about the food in the marriage ceremony as the caterer company
7) Impart (verb) (देना) – im-part
Meaning – to distribute a portion of something
Synonyms – give, provide, confer.
Antonyms – conceal, hide
Example – A teacher’s job is to impart knowledge to her students.
8) Adherent (noun) (पक्षपाती) – ad-her-ent
Meaning – a material that sticks to other things OR a person who supports a particular party, person, or set of ideas
Synonyms – supporter, upholder, promoter.
Antonyms – opponent, antagonist, renegade
Example – Everyone who works at that company is required to be completely adherent to all the terms of the contract.
9) Presume (verb) (मानना) – pre-zume
Meaning – to suppose something to be true without proof
Synonyms – assume, expect, speculate.
Antonyms – disbelieve, disregard, distrust
Example – She hated to presume that her best friend had stolen the money, but she was the only one who entered the room.
Word of The Day
- Hush hush (Adjective) – गोपनीय
- Meaning – kept secret from people, highly secret or confidential
- Synonyms – confidential, secret, covert, private, hidden
- Antonyms – public, revealed, known
- Example(English) – Virat Kohli and Anushka Sharma tied the knot in a hush-hush ceremony in Italy.
- Example (Hindi ) – विराट कोहली और अनुष्का शर्मा इटली में एक गोपनीय समारोह में शादी के बंधन में बंध गए।
Now try to answer the below questions which are based on the given article –
- How will entry into Wassenaar Arrangement help India as mentioned in the passge ?
- Which country is responsible for failed attempts of India to gain entry into NSG?
Given below are some words to check your vocabulary? Make sentences with those words in the comment section which will be reviewed by us :