Today’s article, ‘Crunch time at WTO: On farm subsidies‘ has been picked from ‘The Hindu’
This article talks about the World Trade Organisation’s 11th biennial Ministerial Conference in Buenos Aires and discusses the challanges that India faced on farm issues in this meeting.
Challenging Words in the Article –
1) Unravel (verb) – (खंडित) – un-ra-vel
Meaning – to cause something to separate or come apart
Synonyms – solve/resolve, clarify, decipher/explain.
Antonyms – tangle, confuse, ravel
Example – Detectives are still trying to unravel the mystery surrounding the sudden death of famous politician .
2) Scepticism (noun) ( संदेहवाद) – escapti-ism
Meaning – doubt as to the truth of something.
Synonyms – doubt, suspicion, disbelief.
Antonyms – trust, belief, definiteness
Example – He expressed his scepticism about the usefulness of new techniques introduced in the market.
3) Credence (noun) – (धारणा, आस्था ) -cre-dance
Meaning– mental acceptance as true or real
Synonyms – credibility, reliability, plausibility/believability.
Antonyms – distrust, doubt, uncertainty
Example – Since you have a history of lying, I find it difficult to give credence to anything you tell me.
4) Transient (adjective) (क्षणिक) – transi-ant
Meaning –lasting only for a short time, impermanent
Synonyms – transitory, temporary, short-lived
Example – If you are a transient person, you never remain in one place for too long.
5) Combative (adjective) (जुझारू, लड़ाकू) – com-bative
Meaning – ready to fight; argumentative
Synonyms – aggressive, argumentative, contentious.
Antonyms – peaceful, agreeable, pacifist
Example – Becoming combative on the field, the overly aggressive player was asked to sit on the bench until he could compose himself.
6) Underpin (Verb) (नीचे से सहारा देना) – under-pin
Meaning – \support, justify, or form the basis for.
Synonyms – support, buttress, form (a basis).
Antonyms – weaken, attenuate, break
Example – It is important to significantly increase the programme’s size, so as to underpin business confidence.
7) Bolster (verb) (मजबूत बनाना) – boles-tur
Meaning – to make something stronger or bolder
Synonyms – strengthen, support, reinforce.
Antonyms – Bully, undermine, obstructive
Example – Free tickets were given away to bolster audience at the concert.
8) Substantive (adjective) (मूल) – subs-tan-tive
Meaning – important & meaningful, associated with issues of key importance
Synonyms – significant, essential
Antonyms – unimportant, meaningless
Example – As a busy employee, Phil is tired of attending monthly meetings that are not substantive to his work.
9) Contentious (adjective) (विवादास्पद) – con-ten-ti-us
Meaning – causing or likely to cause an argument
Synonyms – controversial, debatable, disputed.
Antonyms – pacifist, agreeable, peaceful
Example – The author wrote a contentious novel which caused a great deal of unrest.
Word of The Day
- Elite (Adjective) – सर्वोत्कृष्ट
- Meaning – belonging to the richest, most powerful, best-educated, or best-trained group in a society, selected as the best
- Synonyms – best, exclusive, superior, supreme
- Antonyms – worst, ordinary, common
- Example(English) – India joined elite multilateral export control regime.
- Example (Hindi ) – भारत सर्वोत्कृष्ट बहुपक्षीय निर्यात नियंत्रण व्यवस्था में शामिल हुआ।
Given below are some words to check your vocabulary? Make sentences with those words in the comment section which will be reviewed by us :