Today’s article, ‘Bizarre diplomacy’ has been picked from ‘The Indian Express’
This article talks about the Trump’s decision on Jerusalem and says that it has no redeeming features and it will give rise to instability in West Asia, which is bad news for India.
Challenging Words in the Article –
1) Bizzare (Adjective) – (विचित्र) – bi-zare
Meaning – very strange or unusual.
Synonyms – strange, peculiar, odd, funny, curious
Antonyms – Normal, familiar, regular, common
Example – Everyone stared at the student who wore the bizarre outfit to school.
2) Vandalism (Noun) ( बर्बरता) – vandal-izm
Meaning – action involving deliberate destruction of or damage to public or private property
Synonyms – destruction, hooliganism, devastation
Antonyms – constructiveness, consecration, safeguarding
Example – A group of teens broke into the public library and tore the pages from hundreds of books in a terrible act of vandalism.
3) Sabotage (Verb) – (तोड़-फोड़ ) – sabo-tage
Meaning– to deliberately damage or destroy something in order to prevent it from being successful
Synonyms – wreck, deliberately damage, destroy, obstruct
Antonyms – fix, help, aid
Example – A poor foundation will effectively sabotage even the best-built house.
4) Demagoguery (Noun) – Demo-gawg-ri
Meaning –Approach to manipulate people, an appeal to people that play on their emotions and prejudices rather than on their rational side
Synonyms – oratory, declamation, elocution
5) Redeem (Verb)(प्रतिदेय) – ri-deem
Meaning – to exchange one thing for money or goods; to buy or pay off
Synonyms – retrieve, regain, recover, get back, reclaim,
Antonyms – abandon, disregard
Example –I save my coupons so that I can redeem them at the supermarket.
6) Negotiate (Verb) (उपसंहार) – nego-si-ate
Meaning – to try to reach an agreement or come to terms
Synonyms – arrange, work out, thrash out, hammer out
Antonyms – disclaim, devolve, disturb
Example – We sat down to negotiate a deal that would satisfy everyone.
7) Status-quo (Noun) (यथास्थिति – estatus-quo
Meaning – the way things are
Synonyms – State, situation, condition
Antonyms – Reverse, revolution
Example – A lack of desire to change the status quo is the reason for the poor voter turnout at last year’s election.
8) Pragmatism (Noun) (व्यवहारवाद) – prag-muh-tiz-um
Meaning – an approach that evaluates theories or beliefs in terms of the success of their practical application.
Synonyms – Realism, prudence
Antonyms – Foolishness, impracticality
Example – My mother believes in Pragmatism and never does anything without rationalizing it first.
9) Converge (Verb)मिलना) – con-ver-ge
Meaning – come from different directions and meet at (a place).
Synonyms – Focus, meet, gather
Antonyms – diverge, disburse, divide
Example –Half a million sports fans will converge on the capital for the London Marathon.
Word of The Day
- Flak (Noun) – कड़ी आलोचना
- Meaning – strong criticism
- Synonyms – criticism, condemnation, complaints, censure, denunciation
- Antonyms – praise, compliment, support, approval
- Example(English) – Hina Khan faced flak for her snide remarks on Sakshi Tanwar.
- Example (Hindi ) – साक्षी तंवर पर व्यंग्यात्मक टिप्पणियों के लिए हिना खान ने कड़ी आलोचना का सामना किया।
Given below are some words to check your vocabulary? Make sentences with those words in the comment section which will be reviewed by us :