Today’s article, ‘An Olympic warning‘ has been picked from ‘The Indian Express’
This article talks about complete ban on Russia from competing in the 2018 Pyeongchang Games imposed by the International Olympic Committee. The article says that by banning Russia , IOC has given a message to every nation which tries to boost its number of medals through artificial means.
Challenging Words in the Article –
1) Forbidden(Adjective) (वर्जित , निषिद्ध ) – for-bid-den
Meaning – not allowed; banned.
Synonyms – prohibited, banned, debarred, vetoed
Antonyms – Allowed, permitted, authorized
Example – Smoking should be forbidden in public places.
2) Complicit (Adjective) ( सहअपराधिता) – kum-plis-it
Meaning – involved with others in an activity that is unlawful or morally wrong.
Synonyms – engaged, involved
Antonyms – uninvolved, unconcerned
Example – A person who does not report the abuse is said to be complicit.
3) Brazenly (Adverb) – (बेशर्मी से ) – bra-zen-ly
Meaning-in a bold and shameless way.
Synonyms – Boldly, openly, audaciously
Antonyms – Cautiously, modestly, bashfully
Example – He continued his illegal business brazenly.
4) Sift (Verb) (छान-बीन करना) – Sift-ing
Meaning – to examine something carefully in order to locate an object of value
Synonyms – search through, look through, investigate
Antonyms – When I sift through the documents in my file cabinet, I hope I find my passport application.
5) Tainted (Verb) (दूषित) – taint-ed
Meaning – to contaminate or pollute something
Synonyms – contaminate, pollute, adulterate, infect, blight
Antonyms – Pure, fresh, spotless
Example – Don’t taint your soil by using the wrong fertilizers.
6) Denouement (Noun) (उपसंहार) – denu-ment
Meaning – the ending/final part of a literary work, musical composition, or a sequence of actions, the outcome of a situation, when something is decided or made clear.
Synonyms – conclusion, ending, outcome
Antonyms – start, initial
Example – Because the book’s denouement left some unanswered questions, the author is currently writing a sequel.
7) Retroactive (Adjective) (पूर्वव्यापी) – retro-active
Meaning – (especially of legislation) taking effect from a date in the past , influencing a previous time
Synonyms – retrospective
Antonyms – prospective
Example – The district’s new graduation requirements are not retroactive and will only affect students who enter the school system after this year.
8) Flutter (Verb) (फहराना, स्पंदन) – flu-tur
Meaning – to wave wings back and forth quickly
Synonyms – flit, hover, flitter, dance
Example –The little girl became happy when she saw a couple of butterflies fluttering around the garden.
9) Rescind (noun) (रद्द कर देना) – ri-sind
Meaning – revoke, cancel, or repeal (a law, order, or agreement).
Synonyms – take back, cancel, reverse, abrogate, overturn
Antonyms – Allow , approve , enact
Example – If we do not rescind this unsuccessful financial agreement, we may face a huge financial loss.
Word of The Day
- Exponent (Noun) – प्रतिनिधि
- Meaning – a person who supports an idea or theory and tries to persuade people of its truth or benefits
- Synonyms – advocate, supporter, proponent, upholder, propagandist
- Antonyms – antagonist, opponent, adversary
- Example(English) – Indian cinema has lost one of its greatest unsung exponents.
- Example (Hindi ) – भारतीय सिनेमा ने अपने सबसे बड़े अकीर्तित प्रतिनिधियों में से एक को खो दिया है।
Now try to answer the following questions which ar based on the given passage –
- In 2018 , olympic games will take place in which city and country as mentioned in the passage ?
- Why IOC imposed a complete ban on Russia from particating in 2018 Olympic games ?
Given below are some words to check your vocabulary? Make sentences with those words in the comment section which will be reviewed by us :