Today’s article, ‘New India formula? — on the 15th Finance Commission‘ has been picked from ‘The Hindu’
This article talks about the setting up of 15th Finance Commission and predicts that it’s job will be especially tricky in the time of GST.
Challenging Words in the Article –
1) Nudge (Verb) (हल्के ढंग से धक्का ) – nuj
Meaning – to move slowly and almost reach a higher point or level ,
Synonyms – prompt, encourage, coax, stimulate, prod
Antonyms – Pull , discourage , dissuade ,repress
Example – The guard nudged the prisoner forward.
2) Disdain(noun) (तिरस्कार) – dis-dane
Meaning – lack of respect with a feeling of dislike
Synonyms – contempt, disrespect/dishonour, indifference.
Antonyms – respect , praise , admiration
Example – You should not disdain handicap people based on their disabilities.
3) Deliberations (noun) (विचार-विमर्श) – daily-bur-a-shuns
Meaning – a thorough consideration
Synonyms – thought, thinking, consideration, reflection
Antonyms – abandons, distractions ,spontaneities, carelessnesses
Example – After only one hour of deliberation, the jury came back with a guilty verdict.
4) Devolution (Noun) (हस्तांतरण) – de-wo-lew-shun
Meaning – the transfer or delegation of power to a lower level, especially by central government to local or regional administration ,descent to a lower or worse state.
Synonyms – decentralization, delegation, distribution.
Antonyms – rehabilitation ,decency, evolution
5) Flak (Noun) (आलोचना) – flak
Meaning – adverse criticism
Synonyms – criticism, censure, disapproval.
Antonyms – praise , compliment , support
Example – The unhappy customer gave the salesman flak for the long wait time.
6) Populist(Noun) (लोकलुभावन) – popu-list
Meaning – related to politicians who claim that they are representing the common/ordinary people.
Example – Populists believe that giving power to the people will protect individuals from exploitation.
7) Pinch(verb) (चुटकी) – pin-ch
Meaning – to tightly grip using a finger and thumb
Synonyms – hurt, pain, cause discomfort.
Antonyms – release , comfort
Example – Sometimes I want to pinch myself to see if I’m living in a dream.
8) Incur (verb) (उठाना) – in-cur
Meaning – to acquire
Synonyms – attract, experience, be subject to.
Antonyms – Avoid , bypass , circumvent
Example – It was impossible to incur any debt after a year of being unemployed.
9) Quantify (Verb) (मात्रा ठहराना) – kwon-ti-fay
Meaning – to assign a quantity to
Synonyms – Measure , evaluate , estimate
Example – Since it is impossible to quantify the number of stars, the night sky fascinates me.
Word of The Day
- Nuptial (Adjective) – वैवाहिक
- Meaning – relating to marriage or weddings
- Synonyms – matrimonial, marital, conjugal, wedding, connubial
- Antonyms – divorce
- Example(English) – Bharti Singh and Haarsh Limbachiyaa finally took the nuptial vows in Goa.
- Example (Hindi ) – भारती सिंह और हर्ष लिंबाचिया ने आखिरकार गोवा में वैवाहिक वचन लिए।
Given below are some words to check your vocabulary? Make sentences with those words in the comment section which will be reviewed by us :