Today’s article, ‘Capturing crime — on the NCRB data for 2016‘ has been picked from ‘The Hindu’
This article talks about the increase in crimes against women as per the National Crime Records Bureau data for 2016. The article says that better policing and all-round reform is required for the safety of women in our country and suggests some reformative measures.
Challenging Words in the Article –
1) Heinous (adjective) (जघन्य ) – He-ni-yus
Meaning – hatefully or shockingly evil
Synonyms – wicked, horrible, terrible.
Antonyms – glorious, admirable, excellent
Example – The criminal received the death penalty for his heinous crime.
2) Impunity (noun) (दण्ड मुक्ति) – im-pyoo-ni-tee
Meaning – free from punishment; exempt from the consequences
Synonyms – immunity, indemnity, exemption
Antonyms – Liability, custody, charge
Example –Despite the heinous nature of the crimes they committed, the old men received impunity from the court because of their ages.
3) Abduction (noun) (अपहरण) – ab-duhk-shun
Meaning – the action of forcibly taking someone away against their will, to grab an individual by trickery or force
Synonyms – kidnapping, hostage-taking.
Antonyms – freedom, liberation, release
Example – There is a nationwide search for the woman who tried abduction of the little boy from the school playground.
4) Superintendence (noun) (देख-रेख) – super-intend-ence
Meaning –to be responsible for the management or arrangement of (an activity or organization)
Synonyms – oversee , supervise, manage, govern something.
Antonyms – carelessness, neglect, ignore
Example –Under her lax superintendence, the company eventually went bankrupt.
5) Cognisable (adjective) (संज्ञेय) – kug-ni-zable
Meaning –within the jurisdiction of a court, clearly identifiable,
Synonyms – perceptible, knowable, comprehensible
Antonyms – unknowable, transcendent
Example – Cruelty against women was made a cognisable crime in 1984 which is a great help to victims of domestic violence.
5) Prevailing (adjective) (प्रचलित) – pre-veyl-ing
Meaning – existing at a particular time, having most appeal or influence
Synonyms – current, existing, present
Antonyms – outcast, vintage
Example –The unfavourable prevailing economic conditions are causing big trouble for citizens.
6) Uphold (verb) (कायम रखना) – up-hold
Meaning – To support and maintain something (law, principle, decision, custom), confirm or support (something which has been questioned)
Synonyms – confirm/support, endorse, validate.
Antonyms – discontinue, abjure, disclaim
Example – It is the responsibility of every government to uphold certain basic principles.
7) Passively (adverb) (निष्क्रिय) – pas-sive-ly
Meaning – in an accepting manner, without active response or resistance.
Synonyms – submissively, unassertively, unresistingly/unassumingly.
Antonyms – actively, defiantly
Example – We don’t have to sit passively by while others decide our fate.
8) Prompt (verb) (शीघ्र) – promp-t
Meaning – (of an event or fact) cause or bring about (an action or feeling) , encourage (a hesitating speaker) to say something.
Synonyms – bring about, cause, urge (to take a course of action).
Antonyms – tardy, late
Example –The violence prompted a wave of refugees to flee the country.
8) Juvenile (adjective) (किशोर) – ju-ve-nile
Meaning – a child or young person who is not yet old enough to be regarded as an adult
Synonyms – young, teenage, underage.
Antonyms – mature, adult , elderly
Example – Two juveniles and one adult have been arrested by police for trafficking in illegal drugs at a local high school.
Word of The Day
- Tacit (Adjective) – अनकहा, अनुक्त
- Meaning – understood or implied without being stated.
- Synonyms – implicit, understood, implied, inferred, hinted, suggested, insinuated
- Antonyms – explicit, stated
- Example(English) – Although no words were spoken, we gave our tacit agreement to a cease-fire.
- Example (Hindi ) – हालांकि कोई शब्द नहीं बोला गया था,हमने संघर्ष विराम को अनकही सहमति दी |
Now try to answer the following questions which are based on the given passage –
- Which two cities are considered least safe for women as per the latest national tally on crimes against women?
- What would lead to a reduction in crimes committed with impunity and would raise public confidence in the criminal justice delivery system as mentioned in the passage?
Given below are some words to check your vocabulary? Make sentences with those words in the comment section which will be reviewed by us :