Today’s article, ‘Bit of a bubble? — on bitcoins and cryptocurrencies‘ has been picked from ‘The Hindu’
This article discusses the increase in the value of cryptocurrencies and says that it is because of the easy monetary policy which has pushed investors into highly risky assets like bitcoin as the investors are starved of yield in traditional assets.
Challenging Words in the Article –
1) Dizzying (Verb) (चकित करना ) – diz-ee-ing
Meaning – make (someone) feel unsteady, confused, or amazed.
Synonyms – Confusing, giddy, dazing
Antonyms – Sobering, steadying, clear
Example – The rollercoaster plunged downwards at a dizzying speed.
2) Sceptic (Noun) (संदेहवादी) – es-cep-tik
Meaning – a person who questions the validity or authenticity of something purporting to be factual.
Synonyms – cynic, doubter, questioner, scoffer
Antonyms – believer, promoter, conceiver
Example – I am always a sceptic when it comes to buying too good to be true products on television.
3) Exotic (Adjective) (विदेशी ) – ig-zot-ik
Meaning – unusual and exciting because of coming (or seeming to come) from far away, not native
Synonyms – Foreign, outlandish, strange
Antonyms – Usual, native, familiar
Example – When I saw the exotic fruit, I was excited about eating something from a different nation.
4) Underlying (Verb) (आधारभूत ) – un-der-lahy-ing
Meaning – triggering or motivating
Synonyms – basic, fundamental, essential
Antonyms – ancillary, secondary, incidental
Example – The underlying cause of most lung cancer is smoking.
5) Cautionary (Adjective) (चेतावनी देनेवाला) – kaw-shuh-ner-ee
Meaning – something that serves as a warning to others
Synonyms – warning, admonitory
Antonyms – persuasive, unprotective, nonrepresentational
Example –You can often look at the mistakes of other people and use them as a cautionary tale to avoid those mistakes in your own life.
6) Witnessed (Verb)(देखा) – vit-ness-ed
Meaning – see (an event, typically a crime or accident) happen.
Synonyms – see, observe, watch, exhibit
Antonyms – unobserved , refuted , absent
Example –The police are looking for people who may have witnessed a traffic accident which occurred recently at the vip road.
7) Starved (Verb) (भूखे मरना,लालायित रहना) – es-tarv-d
Meaning – to suffer or die from severe hunger
Synonyms – undernourished, malnourished, starved, half-starved
Antonyms – full, replete, nourished
Example – When you begin to starve your body for losing fat, you will have less energy to do anything with.
8) Enthusiasts (Adjective) (उत्साही) – en-thu-si-asts
Meaning – a person who is highly interested in something
Synonyms – fanatic, devotee, aficionado, addict
Antonyms – adversary, hater, opponent
Example – As a fitness enthusiast, he is always preaching to his friends about the importance of working out.
8) Merely (Adjective) (केवल) – meer-lee
Meaning – only, just, used to emphasize that you mean exactly what you are saying and nothing more
Synonyms – only, purely, solely, simply
Antonyms – greatly, largely, abundantly
Example – Merely watching a video about a subject does not make you an expert.
Word of The Day
- Scintillating (Adjective) – बहुत शानदार
- Meaning – sparkling or shining brightly
- Synonyms – sparkling, gleaming, dazzling, glinting, bright
- Antonyms – dull, drab, dreary, dumb
- Example(English) – She is looking scintillating in a picture shot by the ace photographer.
- Example (Hindi ) – वह उत्कृष्ट फोटोग्राफर द्वारा ली गयी एक तस्वीर में बहुत शानदार दिख रही है।
Now try to answer the following questions which are based on the given passage –
- The fundamental value of any currency is based not which parameters as mentioned in the passage?
- Why are the cryptocurrencies like bitcoin rapidly transforming into mainstream money?
Given below are some words to check your vocabulary? Make sentences with those words in the comment section which will be reviewed by us: