1. India sends proposal to UN for declaring 2018 as International Year of Millet
Shri Radha Mohan Singh, the Union Minister for Agriculture & Farmers Welfare has sent a proposal to United Nations for declaring the year 2018 as ‘International Year of Millets’.
- The proposal, if agreed, will raise awareness about millets among consumers, policy makers, industry and R&D sector.
- Millet is a common term to categorize small-seeded grasses that are often termed nutri-cereals or dryland-cereals, and includes sorghum, pearl millet, ragi, small millet, foxtail millet, proso millet, barnyard millet, kodo millet and other millets.
2. Cabinet approves setting up of the 15th Finance Commission
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the setting up of the 15th Finance Commission.
- Under Article 280 (1) of the Constitution, it is a Constitutional obligation.
- The Terms of Reference for the 15th Finance Commission will be notified in due course of time.
- Fourteen (14)Finance Commissions have been constituted in the past.
- The 14th Finance Commission was set up on 02.01.2013 to make recommendations covering the period of five years commencing on 1st April, 2015.
3. Cabinet approves a new scheme ‘ Pradhan Mantri Mahila Shakti Kendra’
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for expansion of the schemes of Ministry of Women and Child Development under Umbrella Scheme “Mission for Protection and Empowerment for Women” for a period 2017-18 to 2019-20.
- CCEA has also given approval to the new scheme called ‘Pradhan Mantri Mahila Shakti Kendra’, which will empower rural women through community participation to create an environment in which they realize their full potential.
- Expansion under Beti Bachao Beti Padhao has also been approved based on the successful implementation in 161 districts.
- The financial outlay during 2017-18 to 2019-20 will be Rs.3,636.85 crore with a Central Share of approximately Rs.3,084.96 crore.
4. Rajasthan govt launches free learning app ‘Dishari’
Rajasthan’s Higher and Technical Education minister Kiran Maheshwari has launched ‘Dishari’ — an educational mobile application that provides free study materials for youths preparing for competitive examinations.
- The app features interactive quizzes with questions related to mathematics, general knowledge, current affairs, computers, reasoning, and economics.
5. Anupriya Patel inaugurates the National Biomaterial Centre
Smt. Anupriya Patel, Minister of State (HFW) has inaugurated the National Biomaterial Centre (National Tissue Bank) at the National Organ and Tissue Transplant Organization (NOTTO).
- The main thrust & objective of this centre is to fill up the gap between ‘demand’ and ‘supply’ as well as ‘quality assurance’ in the availability of various tissues.
6. Exclusive ‘Rural Livelihood’ scheme for Northeast
The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Development of North-Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh spoke about an exclusive “Rural Livelihood” scheme for the Northeast.
- The unique scheme under the title “North East Rural Livelihood Project” is being supported by the World Bank and will primarily benefit the tribals and the lower socioeconomic groups, including women, in the North-Eastern Region (NER).
- To begin with, four states, – Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura, will be taken up for helping the tribal and even the non-tribal lower groups living in remote areas.
- The project is aimed at assisting over 10,000 Self Help Groups (SHGs) and benefit about three lakh poor households.
7. Prime Minister Inaugurates 5th Global Conference On Cyberspace, 2017
Shri Narendra Modi, Hon’ble Prime Minister of India inaugurated the Global Conference on Cyberspace 2017 in the Capital.
- Themed on Cyber4All: A Secure and Inclusive Cyberspace for Sustainable Development, this is the fifth edition of GCCS wherein international leaders, policymakers, industry experts, think tanks and cyber experts will gather to deliberate on issues and challenges for optimally using cyber space.
- The overall goals of GCCS 2017 are to promote the importance of inclusiveness and human rights in global cyber policy.
8. Government unveils Umang app for citizen services
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched a new mobile app — UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) which will allow citizens to access government services on a single platform.
- The services live on the app include Aadhaar, DigiLocker, Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS) among others.
- It supports 13 Indian languages and caters to on-demand scalability. It will also soon support feature phones without internet through USSD.
9. TN has highest number of women entrepreneurs: Report
Tamil Nadu has the highest number of women entrepreneurs in India, followed by Kerala and West Bengal, reveals a new report.
- Nearly 80 per cent of women entrepreneurs in India are self-financing their businesses, with little utilisation of the various government schemes.
- Goa, Jammu and Kashmir, Karnataka, Rajasthan, and West Bengal have emerged as top five states offering the maximum number of schemes for women entrepreneurs, it said.
10. President of India to inaugurate International Gita Mahotsava-2017
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, will inaugurate the International Gita Mahotsava-2017 on November 25, 2017 in Kurukshetra, Haryana.
- Earlier in the day, the President will visit Brahma Sarovar.
- He will also lay the foundation stone of the Gita Research Centre at Gita Gyan Sansthanam.
11. Punjab govt to give Rs. 75,000 aid for SC, inter-caste marriages
The Punjab government will give an assistance of Rs. 75,000 for marriages of couples belonging to the Scheduled Caste (SC) as well as the inter-caste marriages in the state.
- Under the new scheme the non-governmental organisations (NGOs), Trusts and other social welfare institutions arranging more than 10 marriages of SC and inter-caste couples will be given financial assistance to the tune of Rs 75,000 per couple.
- A sum of Rs. 60,000 would be given for purchasing household items such as utensils, furniture and gold and Rs 15,000 per couple to the organiser or concerned organisation as consolation prize, the spokesperson added.
12. Multi State Mega Mock Tsunami Exercise 2017 held
The Ministry of Home Affairs through National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) and the Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) conducted a first-of-its-kind multi-State mega mock exercise on tsunami preparedness covering the entire eastern coastline of the country.
- Simulation exercises were conducted simultaneously in 35 coastal districts across four States of West Bengal, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh & Tamil Nadu and Union Territory of Puducherry along the entire East Coast.
- It was aimed to assess and improve the early warning and response mechanism to mitigate the impact of a high-intensity tsunami.
13. National Law Day to be celebrated jointly by Law Commission and NITI Aayog
The National Law Day-2017 will be celebrated jointly by the Law Commission of India and NITI Aayog on 25th-26th November at Vigyan Bhawan in the capital.
- President Shri Ram Nath Kovind will inaugurate the event on 25th November while the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will deliver the Valedictory Address on 26th November.
- The significance of the event lies in the fact that the Constitution of India was adopted by the Constituent Assembly on 26th November, 1949.
14. Govt to set up Pradhan Mantri Mahila Shakti Kendras in 115 districts
The Centre has approved setting up of ‘Pradhan Mantri Mahila Shakti Kendras’ across 115 most backward districts of the country through a new scheme for reaching out to rural women and facilitating skill development, employment, digital literacy, health and nutrition.
- The government also approved expanding the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao scheme from 161 districts to 640 districts in the country.
- The financial outlay for these schemes from 2017 to 2020 will be Rs 3,636.85 crore.
15. Odisha to launch new irrigation scheme
Odisha government has decided to launch a new scheme worth Rs 635 crore to provide irrigation facility to about 55,000 hectare of agricultural land across the state.
- The scheme, “Nabakrushna Choudhury Seccha Unnayan Yojana”, has been named after former chief minister and freedom fighter Nabakrushna Choudhury.
- The scheme would be implemented with an outlay of Rs 635 crore over a period of three years.
- Under the scheme, 46,296 hectare command area of 14 major and medium irrigations and 284 minor irrigation projects will be revived.
16. Ajeya Warrior: India-UK to conduct third joint military exercise
The third India-United Kingdom joint army training exercise ‘Ajeya Warrior’ will be conducted in Rajasthan next month.
- The first exercise was conducted in 2013 at Belgaum, Karnataka, whereas for the second exercise in 2015, an Indian Army contingent had visited the United Kingdom.
- Approximately 120 personnel from the 20th Battalion of Rajputana Rifles and the 1st Battalion of Royal Anglican Regiment of the Royal British Army will participate in the exercise.
17. 12th meeting of Standing Committee of Inter-State Council
The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh chaired the 12th meeting of the Standing Committee of Inter-State Council (ISC) in New Delhi.
- He said that the meeting of the Inter State Council, which was held in July, 2016, happened after a gap of 10 years.
- Subsequent to that, meetings of the Standing Committee of the Inter-State Council are being periodically convened to lend speed and purpose to the process of harmonizing Center State relations, he said.
18. Brahmos Flight test from IAF’s Su-30MKI fighter aircraft
Brahmos, the world’s fastest supersonic cruise missile created history on 22nd Nov 2017 after it was successfully flight-tested first time from the Indian Air Force’s (IAF) frontline fighter aircraft Sukhoi-30MKI against a sea based target in the Bay of Bengal.
- Brahmos, the world-class weapon with multi-platform, multi-mission role is now capable of being launched from Land, Sea and Air.
- Brahmos is a joint venture between DRDO of India and NPOM of Russia.
19. Constitution Day: 26 November
Constitution Day, also known as Samvidhan Divas, is celebrated in India on 26 November every year to commemorate the adoption of Constitution of India.
- On this day in 1949, the Constituent Assembly of India adopted the Constitution of India, and it came into effect on 26 January 1950.
- The Government of India declared 26 November as Constitution Day on 19 November 2015 by a gazette notification.
20. Defence of Andaman & Nicobar Islands Exercise (DANX-17)
Defence of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Exercise (DANX) was conducted under the aegis of Andaman & Nicobar Command.
- The five day exercise started on 20 Nov 2017 and culminated on 24 Nov 2017.
- Main objective of the exercise was to practice & validate procedures and drills of all the Command forces aimed at defending Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
21. National Milk Day: 26 November
India celebrates National Milk Day on November 26, the birthday of Verghese Kurien, the Father of White Revolution in India.
- India credits Kurien for his billion-litre idea that made the country among the large-scale producers of milk in the world.
- The Father of Milk Revolution is also the founder of the popular dairy brand in India, Amul.
22. India to host International Geological Congress in 2020
India will host the 36th International Geological Congress in New Delhi in March 2020.
- Union Cabinet has approved setting up of a society which will also strive to promote geoscience in the Indian subcontinent.
- A budgetary outlay worth Rs 52 crore has already been approved by the Cabinet to carry out preparatory activities up to 2018-19.
- The Congress will be hosted jointly by the Ministry of Mines and Ministry of Earth Sciences with active support from science academies of India and co-host neighbouring countries.
23. Prime Minister to inaugurate Global Entrepreneurship Summit
The Global Entrepreneurship Summit is being held for the first time in South Asia in Hyderabad, India, from November 28-30.
- Co-hosted by the Governments of the United States and India, Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi will inaugurate the summit and Advisor to the President Ivanka Trump will lead the U.S. contingent to GES.
- This is the eighth edition of the Global Entrepreneurship Summit, the preeminent gathering of entrepreneurs, investors, and supporters from around the world.
- With the theme of “Women First, Prosperity for All,” this will be the first GES in which women are the majority, over 52.5 per cent, of the participants.
24. Odisha launches Rs 96-cr scheme to increase fish production
Odisha government has launched a scheme to boost fish production in the state with a budgetary provision of Rs 96 crore.
- The ‘Fish Pond Yojana’ scheme was launched by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, while inaugurating a workshop on ‘Doubling of Farmer Income through Dairy and Allied Farming Practices’ in Bhubneswar.
- The chief minister said annual fish production in Odisha has increased from 2.60 lakh tonne to more than 6 lakh tonne in the last 17 years.
25. Skill India partners with Airbnb to Upskill Hospitality Entrepreneurs
A tripartite Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and Tourism and Hospitality Sector Skill Council (THSC) with Airbnb, the world’s leading community-driven hospitality company.
- The MoU will provide hospitality skills training to hospitality micro-entrepreneurs in India.
- The signing of MoU is in line with the Government’s endeavor to promote entreprenuership under the Government’s Skill India Programme.
- NSDC is the implementation arm of Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
26. Three day India-Afghan Cultural Festival inaugurated in New Delhi
The Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Culture, Dr. Mahesh Sharma and Minister of Culture and Information of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, His Excellency Prof. Moh. Rasool Bawari inaugurated the India-Afghan Cultural Festival in New Delhi.
- The Festival has been jointly organized by the Government and Embassy of Afghanistan along with the Government of India and ICCR.
- The three day festival includes cultural performances, handicrafts, exhibitions, cuisine and cultural shows from Afghanistan as well as India.
27. Cabinet approves India’s Membership for EBRD
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved India’s Membership for European Bank for Reconstruction & Development (EBRD)
- Necessary steps will be initiated by the Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance to acquire the membership of the EBRD.
- Membership of EBRD would enhance India’s international profile and promote its economic interests.
28. Government sets up a panel to draft new direct tax law
The government has constituted a task force for redrafting the 50-year old income tax law in sync with the economic needs of the country.
- The six-member task force will have Arbind Modi, CBDT Member (Legislation) as the Convener and other members, including Girish Ahuja (chartered accountant), Rajiv Memani (Chairman and Regional Managing Partner of EY) and Mansi Kedia (Consultant, ICRIER).
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, during the annual conference of tax officers in September, had observed that the Income-tax Act, 1961 was drafted more than 50 years ago and it needs to be redrafted.
- Chief Economic Adviser Arvind Subramanian will be a permanent special invitee in the task force.
29. BRICS bank approves $400 million loans for India, Russia
The Shanghai-based BRICS New Development Bank (NDB) has approved two infrastructure and sustainable development projects in India and Russia with loans of $400 million.
- The loans will be used to rehabilitate the Indira Gandhi canal system in India and to build a toll transport corridor connecting Ufa city centre to the M-5 federal highway in Russia.
Points to Remember
- The NDB was set up with an initial authorized capital of $100 billion after leaders of Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa (BRICS) agreed on its establishment during the 6th BRICS Summit in Fortaleza, Brazil, in 2014.
- The bank officially opened in 2015.
30. Axis Bank and Mumbai Police Launch new Campaign #MuhPeTaala
During the International Fraud Awareness week, Axis Bank in association with Mumbai Police has launched its latest campaign #MuhPeTaala to promote safe banking.
- The aim of campaign is to raise awareness about how to keep oneself safe from falling prey to fraudulent calls asking information such as pin code, CVV, OTP etc.
- #MuhPeTaala is the mantra that needs to be followed to prevent cyber banking crimes.
31. SBI launches omni digital channel for all banking transactions
State Bank of India (SBI) has launched comprehensive digital service platform ‘You Only Need One’ which is a omni digital platform that offers everything related to financial services and lifestyle products or services.
- The bank spends close to Rs 3000 crore on information technology and if the cost of setting up ATM is taken into account the cost is over RS 6000 crore.
32. India to help Mauritius on digital locker
The Government of India will assist Mauritius to develop and set up digital locker services, a top official said.
- The government will offer technical support and advisory services to Mauritius.
- Besides, in similar separate meetings with Iran and Denmark, it had been decided to collaborate on issues related to IT.
Points to Remember
- Mauritius is an island nation in the Indian Ocean.
- Port Louis is the capital of Mauritius while rupee is the currency.
- Ameenah Gurib is the President of Mauritius while Pravind Jugnauth is the Prime Minister.
33. Asian Development Bank to provide $20 billion loan to India over five years
Asian Development Bank (ADB) said it will raise annual funding to India to up to $4 billion from existing $2.7 billion, from next year.
- As part of ADB’s Country Partnership Strategy 2018-22, annual sovereign funding will increase from $2 billion to $3 billion while private sector funding would be doubled to $1 billion.
34. India pledges $2.87m to strengthen public transport in Afghanistan
India has pledged to contribute about USD 2.87 million to Afghanistan in its latest financial assistance to the neighbouring country.
- The assistance will be used to repair around 350 public buses in the country.
- India has helped Afghanistan time and again in its reconstruction since the fall of the Taliban regime.
35. L&T bags EPC order for 400 mw power plant in Bangladesh
Industrial conglomerate Larsen and Toubro (L&T) said it has bagged an engineering, procurement, construction (EPC) order for a 400 megawatt (MW) gas-based power plant in Bangladesh.
- Bangladesh Power Development Board (BPDB) has awarded the contract for setting up Bibiyana South 400 mw combined cycle power plant project to a consortium of L&T and Samsung C&T Corp of South Korea.
36. Karnataka Bank ties up with BCG for transformation initiatives
Karnataka Bank Ltd has partnered with the Boston Consulting Group (India) Pvt Ltd for its transformation initiatives.
- The transformation project — ‘KBL Vikaas’ — was launched in Mangaluru.
- A press release said that the project is aimed at total transformation of the bank by re-positioning it as a ‘relevant and significant bank’ by focusing on technology and by keeping intact its core values and identity.
37. Arun Jaitley launches Paytm Payments Bank
A new Payments Bank ‘Paytm Payments Bank’ was formally launched at the hands of the Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
- Currently, India has four Payments Bank including Paytm Payments Bank. The other three operational ones are Airtel Payments Bank, India Post Payments Bank and Fino Payments Bank.
- A payments bank is a differentiated bank. A customer can open a savings bank account in them and have deposits of upto Rs 1 lakh. These banks cannot however lend money to their customers.
38. Competition Commission slaps Rs 52-crore penalty on BCCI
The Competition Commission has imposed a fine of Rs 52.24 crore on the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for anti-competitive practices with respect to IPL media rights.
- Earlier in 2013 also, the watchdog had penalised the cricket board.
- In its 44-page order, the Competition Commission of India (CCI) said the penalty of Rs 52.24 crore comes to nearly 4.48 per cent of the average of the BCCI’s relevant turnover during the last three financial years.
- In February 2013, the watchdog had slapped a fine of Rs 52.24 crore on the BCCI.
39. Shubhangi Swaroop becomes Indian Navy’s first woman pilot
In a first, a woman has been inducted as a pilot in the Indian Navy.
- Shubhangi Swaroop, who hails from Uttar Pradesh, will soon be flying Maritime Reconnaissance aircraft.
- Three other women cadets, Astha Segal from New Delhi, Roopa A from Puducherry and Sakthi Maya S from Kerala, also created history by becoming the country’s first women officers at the Naval Armament Inspectorate (NAI) branch of the Navy.
40. Emmerson Mnangagwa sworn in as the president of Zimbabwe
Emmerson Mnangagwa has been sworn in as the third president of Zimbabwe since the country gained independence in 1980, taking the oath of office in front of 70,000 people in Harare.
- The 75-year-old former spy chief was fired by Robert Mugabe as vice-president nearly three weeks ago, a tactical error by the ageing autocrat that triggered a military takeover, his impeachment by parliament, and finally his resignation.
41. Nirmala Sitharaman elected IDSA President
Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has been elected President of the Institute for Defence Studies and Analysis (IDSA).
- Sitharaman’s election, held November 23, was unanimous.
Points to Remember
- IDSA was set up in 1965 by the Ministry of Defence as an autonomous think tank, and it is customary to have the Defence Minister as its President.
- The Minister chairs the Executive Council which governs the Institute.
42. NK Singh appointed chairman of 15th Finance Commission
The government has announced that former revenue secretary NK Singh will be the chairman of the 15th Finance Commission (FC) that will recommend distribution of taxes between the Centre and the states.
- Other members of the Commission are former economic affairs secretary Shaktikanta Das, former chief economic adviser Ashok Lahiri, Niti Aayog member Ramesh Chand and Georgetown University Adjunct Professor Anoop Singh.
- Finance Commission is a body set up under Article 280(1) of the Constitution.
- The recommendations of the previous 14th Finance Commission, chaired by former Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Y V Reddy, are valid from 2015 to 2020.
- The recommendations of the 15th Finance Commission will be implemented for the period starting 1 April 2020 to 31 March 2025.
43. Snehlata appointed first woman Lok Sabha Secretary General
Snehlata Shrivastava has been appointed as the new Secretary General of the Lok Sabha, a notification issued by the secretariat of the lower house said.
- She will be the first woman secretary general of the Lok Sabha and will assume charge on December 1.
- Her tenure will end on November 30, 2018.
- She will take over a day after current incumbent Anup Mishra relinquishes charge.
- Rama Devi holds the distinction of the being the first woman secretary general of the Rajya Sabha.
44. Shaktikanta Das named India’s G20 Sherpa
The Ministry of Finance has appointed former economic affairs secretary Shaktikanta Das as India’s G20 Sherpa till December 31, 2018 for the Development Track of the grouping.
- There are two tracks in G-20 — Finance Track and Development Track.
- Finance Track is managed by the economic affairs secretary as India’s Deputy to G-20 and the Development Track is coordinated by the Sherpa.
45. Pradeep Singh Kharola appointed as Air India CMD
Senior IAS officer Pradeep Singh Kharola has been appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Air India.
- Mr. Kharola, a Karnataka cadre officer, would replace Rajiv Bansal, who has been serving as the interim CMD for a little over three months.
46. B.N. Sharma apointed Chairman of the National Anti-profiteering Authority
In an immediate follow up action of last week’s Cabinet approval for creation of the posts of Chairman and Technical Members of the National Anti-profiteering Authority under GST, the Government has issued orders appointing senior IAS officer Shri B.N. Sharma, as the first Chairman of this apex Authority in the rank of Secretary to Government of India.
- Shri B.N. Sharma, an IAS officer of 1985 batch belonging to Rajasthan cadre, is currently posted as Additional Secretary in the Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance.
- Shri B.N. Sharma has been closely associated with the formulation of GST and its implementation.
47. Uhuru Kenyatta sworn in as Kenyan president for second term
Uhuru Kenyatta was sworn in as president of Kenya following two disputed polls and waves of deadly protests.
- The official results, published on 11 August, give Kenyatta 54.27 percent to Odinga’s 44.74 percent.
- A fresh election is held on 26 October after protest, with Kenyatta winning 98 percent of the vote as Odinga’s call for a boycott is held.
48. ‘Newton’ wins 2 honours at Asia Pacific Screen Awards
India’s Oscar entry “Newton” secured two wins at the Asia Pacific Screen Awards in Brisbane, with Rajkummar Rao winning the best actor and Mayank Tewari and Amit V Masurkar claiming the best screenplay honour.
- Manipuri movie “Lady of the Lake” won a special mention.
- Indian director Sanal Kumar Sasidharan was nominated in the achievement in directing category for his Malayalam movie “S Durga”, which is in the news for being excluded from the Indian Panorama section of the ongoing 48th International Film Festival in Goa.
49. Nayantara Sahgal gets Lifetime Achievement Award
Acclaimed writer Nayantara Sahgal was presented a Lifetime Achievement Award at Times Lit Fest 2017.
- The writer of the immensely popular novel Rich Like Us, is the winner of the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1986.
50. Golden Temple awarded ‘most visited place of the world’
The Golden Temple has been awarded the ‘most visited place of the world’ by ‘World Book of Records’ (WBR), a London-based organisation that catalogues and verifies world records.
- General secretary of India chapter, Surbhi Kaul, and president of Punjab chapter, Randeep Singh Kohli, gave this award to SGPC chief secretary Roop Singh and other senior officials at Teja Singh Samundari Hall.
51. Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters is crowned Miss Universe 2017
Miss South Africa Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters has been crowned Miss Universe 2017.
- Nel-Peters beat out first runner-up Miss Colombia Laura González and second runner-up Miss Jamaica Davina Bennett for the crown in Las Vegas.
- Nel-Peters, 22, recently earned her degree in business management at North-West University.
52. Health Ministry wins Bronze Medal at the India International Trade Fair 2017
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has been awarded the Bronze Medal for its creative and informative display at the 37th India International Trade Fair 2017 being held at Pragati Maidan.
- The Health Ministry pavilion highlighted programmes and initiatives of the Health Ministry such as Mission Indradhnaush for expanding full immunization coverage, introduction of new vaccines, Pradhan Mantri Matritva Suraksha Yojana (PMSMA), Mother’s Absolute Affection (MAA) for encouraging breastfeeding, Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) for strengthening the tertiary health sector.
53. President of India confers 3rd ICCR Distinguished Indologist award
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, conferred the 3rd ICCR Distinguished Indologist Award on Professor Hiroshi Marui of Japan at a function held at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- The President congratulated Professor Hiroshi Marui for receiving the Distinguished Indologist Award and thanked him for his exemplary contribution to Indology.
- He said that Professor Marui has spent over 40 years working on Indian philosophy and Buddhist Studies.
54. Ishaan Khatter Wins Best Actor Award at Turkish Film Fest
Ishaan Khatter was named the Best Actor for his debut film Beyond The Clouds at the International Bosphorus Film Festival in Turkey.
- Beyond The Clouds was the opening movie of the 48th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) on November 20.
55. Ministry of Water Resources pavilion bags Gold Medal in IITF – 2017
The pavilion of Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation bagged gold medal in the in the Ministries/ Departments category for excellence in display in the just concluded India International Trade Fair- 2017 New Delhi.
- Large number of visitors including students and youths visited the pavilion and showed keen interest in the exhibits. Several quiz competitions were organised for the visitors to make them aware about various water resources related issues including water conservation, drip irrigation, inter linking of rivers etc.
56. Indian Sports Honours: Srikanth, Sindhu Win Top Awards
Indian Sports Honours were given recently. Here is the complete list of the winners:
- Sportsman of the year (Individual sport): Srikanth Kidambi
- Sportsman of the year (Team sport) – Ravichandran Ashwin
- Sportswoman of the year (Individual sport) – PV Sindhu
- Sportswoman of the year (Team sport) – Mithali Raj
- Team of the year (Men/Women) – Indian Women’s Cricket Team
- Coach of the year – Bisweshwar Nandi
- Emerging Sportswoman of the year – Aditi Ashok
- Emerging Sportsman of the year – Neeraj Chopra
- Differently-abled Sportsman of the year – Devendra Jhajaria
- Differently-abled Sportswoman of the year – Deepa Malik
- Keep Walking Honour for Lifetime achievement – Balbir Singh
- Inspirational Honour – Sania Mirza
- Transformational Contribution to Sport – Abhinav Bindra
Popular choice Honours
- Breakthrough performance of the year – Hardik Pandya
- Star Sports Believe Honour (Comeback of the year) – Saina Nehwal
- Spirit of Sport – Yogeshwar Dutt
- Player of the year – Sunil Chhetri
- Club of the year – Mumbai Indians
- Best Fan Club – Manjappada Kerala Blasters.
57. 120 Beats Per Minute wins the Golden Peacock at IFFI 2017
Morocco born French Director Robin Campillo’s drama film ‘ 120 BPM’ or ‘120 Beats Per Minute’ has won the coveted Golden Peacock Award at the 48th International Film Festival of India (IFFI), which concluded in Goa on November 28.
- Chinese director Vivian Qu won the Best Director Award for her 2017 film ‘Angels Wear White’.
- The Best Actor (Male) Award goes to Nahuel Perez Biscaryat.
- The Best Actor (Female) goes to Parvathy T K.
- Mahesh Narayan also walks away with the Special Jury Award for his directorial debut ‘Take Off’.
- Bolivian director Kiro Russo has won the Silver Peacock for the Best Feature Film of the Director.
- Manouj Kadaamh’s Marathi film ‘Kshitij’ has won the ICFT-UNESCO Gandhi Medal.
- One of Canada’s most celebrated art house directors, Atom Egoyan was honoured with the IFFI 2017 Lifetime Achievement Award.
- The Indian Film Personality of the Year Award was presented to Bollywood legend Amitabh Bachchan.
58. SAIL-ASP awarded for indigenization, supply of import substitute steel plates
Alloy Steels Plant (ASP) of the Steel Authority of India Ltd. (SAIL)has received the “BEST PERFORMANCE VENDOR – 2017” award from Ordnance Factory, Medak (OF-M) for indigenization, development and supply of import substitute steel plates.
- The steel plates in two categories, for which SAIL received the award, were supplied by Durgapur-based ASP, the special steels plant of SAIL.
- The award was received by Shri AK Patra, DGM I/c (Research & Control Lab)/ SAIL-ASP, at the Ordnance Factory’s Vendors’ meet held in Medak.
59. Ritu Phogat wins silver in Senior U-23 World Wrestling Championships
Ritu Phogat won the silver medal women’s 48 kg event in the U-23 Senior World Wrestling Championship at Poland.
- The 23-year-old lost to her Turkish opponent Evin Demirhan in the gold medal bout to settle for the silver medal.
- She is one the three Phogat sisters from Haryana.
60. Gopi Thonakal first Indian man to win Asian Marathon Championship
Gopi Thonakal became the first India man to win Asian Marathon Championships after he achieved the feat in the 16th edition of the prestigious event.
- Gopi clocked 2 hours, 15 minutes and 48 seconds to clinch the gold.
- Gopi, thus, became the first Indian man to win the title after the formation of separate Asian Marathon Championships.
- Earlier, Asha Agarwal won the women’s title when it was part of the biennial Asian Track and Field Championships.
61. India claims 5 gold medals at AIBA Youth Women Boxing Championship
India topped the medals’ chart after claiming five gold medals on the final day of the AIBA World Women’s Youth Boxing Championships in Guwahati.
- Nitu, Jyoti, Sakshi, Shashi Chopra and Ankushita Boro clinched the gold medals.
- India earlier had also won two bronze medals.
- It was the biggest medal haul in the championship, followed by Russia (2 gold, 4 silver).
62. Bottas Beats Hamilton To Win Abu Dhabi GP
Mercedes driver Valtteri Bottas sealed the win in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, beating teammate Lewis Hamilton at Yas Marina.
- Bottas led the race throughout to win with a gap of 3.899 seconds over Hamilton.
- The Abu Dhabi GP also marked Bottas’ third win of the season.
63. 7th world military games to be held at Wuhan in China
The 7th international military games will be held in Wuhan city in the central China’s Hubei Province.
- It comprises 329 competitions in 27 categories and is expected to attract around 8,000 participants from more than 100 countries and regions.
Points to Remember
- The slogan is of the games is “Military glory, world peace”.
- The games were inaugurated in Rome in 1995,
- It is a multi-sport event organised every four years by the CISM.
64. Pankaj Advani waltzes to an 18th World title
Pankaj Advani dished out another superb performance to outclass Iran’s Amir Sarkhosh in the final and claim the IBSF World snooker championship in Doha.
- Advani’s deadly attacking game helped him secure his 18th World championship title with a 8-2 win over Sarkhosh at the Al-Arabi Sports Club.
65. France wins davis cup for 10th time
Lucas Pouille ended a 16-year drought for France in the Davis Cup, winning the decisive match for the hosts to beat Belgium 3-2 in the final.
- Pouille’s lopsided 6-3, 6-1, 6-0 win over Steve Darcis in the second reverse singles gave France its 10th Davis Cup title, after a run of three losses in finals.
66. Documentary on Arvind Kejriwal Hit Theatres
A biographical film on the Aam Aadmi Party(AAP) supremo and Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal titled ‘An Insignificant Man’ was finally released on November 17, 2017.
- The film has been directed by Khushboo Ranka and Vina Shukla.
- The film is all about the rise of Kejriwal from relative obscurity to virtual national stardom as a corruption fighter that finally led to him being appointed the Chief Minister of Delhi.